Are Iowa and Iowa State Moving in Opposite Directions?

IowaLawWasRight

I think the horse has been beaten to death just how ugly Iowa is playing this year despite returning all but 1 player off last year's squad. There's no point guard, very little athleticism, no defense, and they are not much fun to watch. At the other end of the state, you've got Iowa State who is also in the midst of a recruiting year after a long run of NCAA appearances. So how does the landscape change next year? Iowa continues to recruit talented, relatively unathletic in-state white guys, while Iowa State follows up last year's recruiting haul that included a 5***** mega recruit in Wiggenton and 4**** stud in Lewis, and brings in the #1, #3, and #4 recruits out of the state of Illinois...all athletic Chicago kids. I'm not sure they will have a single kid on their roster from Iowa next year.

If basketball was the stock market, which team would you be buying for the next few years? I hate to say it, but ISU looks to be moving in the right direction, especially when it comes to recruiting.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...pside-zion-griffin-george-conditt/1056757001/

I think the horse has been beaten to death just how ugly Iowa is playing this year despite returning all but 1 player off last year's squad. There's no point guard, very little athleticism, no defense, and they are not much fun to watch. At the other end of the state, you've got Iowa State who is also in the midst of a recruiting year after a long run of NCAA appearances. So how does the landscape change next year? Iowa continues to recruit talented, relatively unathletic in-state white guys, while Iowa State follows up last year's recruiting haul that included a 5***** mega recruit in Wiggenton and 4**** stud in Lewis, and brings in the #1, #3, and #4 recruits out of the state of Illinois...all athletic Chicago kids. I'm not sure they will have a single kid on their roster from Iowa next year.

If basketball was the stock market, which team would you be buying for the next few years? I hate to say it, but ISU looks to be moving in the right direction, especially when it comes to recruiting.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...pside-zion-griffin-george-conditt/1056757001/

<<I hate to say it...>>

No you don't.

That said, right now it certainly looks like ISU is the horse to bet.

Last season I think you might have taken Iowa's stock over ISU for the at least immediate future, after this season no chance. Things change quickly in college basketball and sometimes perception, potential and promise don't add up to mean great things. Take Iowa's current situation for example. 3 months ago people were talking about competing for the B1G and deep tourney runs with the same team that is getting destroyed now for being so bad.

Last season I think you might have taken Iowa's stock over ISU for the at least immediate future, after this season no chance. Things change quickly in college basketball and sometimes perception, potential and promise don't add up to mean great things. Take Iowa's current situation for example. 3 months ago people were talking about competing for the B1G and deep tourney runs with the same team that is getting destroyed now for being so bad.

I never believed Iowa had a shot at winning the conference this year, but thought they should be able to make the NCAA Tournament. Next year I thought a B10 title was a little more realistic. Now, it's a complete 180 on my optimism.

Funny what a few months can do, and how meaningless pre-season expectations can be.

I knew this season was in trouble after the Caymans.

As for this thread, there's no doubt that ISU is the better program with the brighter future, as I write this.

I never believed Iowa had a shot at winning the conference this year, but thought they should be able to make the NCAA Tournament. Next year I thought a B10 title was a little more realistic. Now, it's a complete 180 on my optimism.

Funny what a few months can do, and how meaningless pre-season expectations can be.

Sports has this weird way of rarely going the way you expect. It's what keeps me watching in the good and bad times.

Sports has this weird way of rarely going the way you expect. It's what keeps me watching in the good and bad times.

True. Iowa football has taught me that, for better or worse. 2015 is a prime example. I didn't in my crappiest dreams think Iowa would be anywhere near 1-7 in league play. 3-5 or 4-4 maybe, at worst. Or so I thought.

Not sure, but after that Purdue debacle, I was able to turn it over to the Iowa State game and watch a reputable offense working which helped.

I would've shorted Iowa after they lost back to back to Louisiana and South Dakota. However, now that they have hit rock bottom, I'm buying like crazy. They'll be back baby...someday.

If we get a new coach we will be the better program moving forward. Prohm can recruit but he can't coach.

ISU has an AD that actively promotes the university and is committed to winning.

Iowa has Gary Barta.

ISU has an AD that actively promotes the university and is committed to winning and gets kicked out of the high school gyms where his kids compete. (FIFY)

And Fran gets kicked out of games he is coaching, so what is your point?

He may be a snake oil salesman, but you can’t deny he is a much better AD than Barta is.

Reactions: ISC

Latest posts