Are Hawkeye media adequately diligent?

Plus this desire to go back to the rhabdo thing, IMO, is a bit of revisionist history. In 2011, rhabdo wasn't as much of a "hot subject" as it is now. It existed, obviously, but it wasn't as much of a thing to look out for in training. (BTW, far be it from me to defend Iowa's S&C staff, which I have been very clear over the years is overrated because of the rah rah aspect in the faces of the department) It's a thing that you can get, but there are lots of people who get it after a workout that wasn't akin to torture or forced exercise. Expecting reporters from 7 years ago to have the same reaction to it that they would today is a stretch.

It was this presser and there used to be a video of KF calling the guy out afterwards, but there were legit rumors swirling and the guy asking the question wanted an answer for the fans.

Yeah I do remember all that jazz too. But did he do something to Rob after that in regards to his being able to come to spring ball or something like that? What I'm vaguely remembering is that the reporter involved if it was in this instance or something else had some sort of access restricted or taken which was a pretty blatant retaliatory type of thing

Kakert acts like a fanboy sometimes as opposed to credentialed media. He'll attack posters on HR for simply critiquing Iowa players whom he's close to. His fanboy definitely showed up during Mike Gesell's senior year and he lost his mind. It was a bad look.

It took months for the fans to find out about McCaffreys contract extension, and it was an outside source that broke it. Where was the Iowa press?

Rob had some serious balls. Kudos!

Kirk really seemed uncomfortable. If there was a time when Kirk lied to us; that's probably it right there.

There's also the "it's none of your f***ing business what I said to somebody else in a private conversation" angle. The media often believe they're entitled to know everything. They're not. (I know...a shocker to some of you).

Kakert acts like a fanboy sometimes as opposed to credentialed media. He'll attack posters on HR for simply critiquing Iowa players whom he's close to. His fanboy definitely showed up during Mike Gesell's senior year and he lost his mind. It was a bad look.
Both him and Blair pretty much showed their colors when they were spreading lies about Eno and bashing him on the rivals site.

I am obviously pretty ignorant on this issue. What I think of as Hawkeye media is anyone who has a role in covering the team. What I had in mind was primarily local beat writers (Lesitikow, Morehouse, Emmert, etc.) and people like Rob and Jon. If any of these find out about something unsavory going on, do they go in victim-blame mode like Jeff Snook, or do they try to dig to the bottom of the matter.
I don't know, would we call someone like Jeff Snook, described as an author and OSU insider, as "Buckeye media?"
I think you have to understand the difference in media. Reporters and journalist cover the news, employees of the Uof Iowa are publicist or media outlets whose job is to place the university in the best of light and reflect the position of the U of I. Internet reporting and websites such as this one are message sharing and are neither of the above. Forums are opinion based, I'm not certain if Rob and Jon could be considered "journalist" or just "superfans". I do feel that they are certainly more honest than most media, but that's the advantage of the internet format. They can make mistakes and not have to clean out their desk if they do.

Rob had some serious balls. Kudos!

Kirk really seemed uncomfortable. If there was a time when Kirk lied to us; that's probably it right there.

Ya lol Kirk was squirming like a stuck pig. He torpedoed DJK of that there is zero doubt. I honestly believe that he probably was truthful that he didn't slam DJK to scouts, but the key phrase in that video is "they do their homework". Any scout that would have asked Kirk about DJK he most likely responded with do your homework, and that is all that needed to be said.

Personally I feel badly for DJK. He was a pretty good kid that made some stupid decisions and got wrapped up in some shit that was made to look way worse then it really was.

I will also note that it is hard to blame Kirk for his actions here. DJK has personally stated that he was immature and cocky and doing what he wanted as opposed to what he knew he was supposed to do. He admits it was a wake up call that set him on a better personal path. It's just too bad that he went as far as he did so that the damage was as bad as it was.

I will always love DJK and cherish some of the memories he was part of, but I will always remember at the end of the day DJK fucked himself and Kirk gave him the firm hand for it.

I think y'all are reading to much into it.
KF doesn't have to say anything bad.
If you were hiring from a college and every time you called, they gave you the low down on someone, then suddenly they didn't have much to say about someone. What would you think?
That's not his fault, it means DJK ruined his own chances. He didn't do what he was asked or supposed to and ta da, no glowing review. No bad one either.
There you go hot shot, go stand on your own. Do it your way, but don't be crying if it doesn't work out the way you expect.

He was a pretty good kid that made some stupid decisions and got wrapped up in some shit that was made to look way worse then it really was.
Agreed. But let's look at some of the luminaries in the NFL who have had far worse sins forgiven. Ron Mexico with his dog fighting ring. Numerous players with woman beating charges. The guy who was driving drunk and killed two people. Baltimorenthal. Hell, you could fill a notebook. But the thing is, all the guys who get that second chance are really good. DJK was a solid collegiate receiver, but he wasn't quite quick enough to be a slot guy and he wasn't big enough to play outside, plus I think he dogged it a lot when he got frustrated. Now if you're Randy "Straight Cash" Moss you can dog it because you're one of the top 5 guys to ever play the position, but if you're DJK, nope.

I don't see any integrity in the national news left or right when it comes to honestly and diligently reporting facts so hope the Iowa sports media is unlike them.

That is a pretty broad and tough statement and assessment of the news media. When reporters lie and fabricate news and they get found out they get canned, they are publicly taken to the woodshed if you look for that type of updates and news, and they probably dont get great jobs after that.

In the last 10 years if you take all the stories from main news outlets I think you would find very few that do not prove to be correct and even fewer that were downright lies and fabrications. Yes, you see some of this at both the left and right and in the middle of mainstream media.

But if all the media did not have integrity or was not honest you would see a whole lot of lawsuits, way more than you see, for slander and defamation as well as lots of news of reporters getting canned.

I dont see that happening and I am talking mainstream credentialed media not some freaking conspiracy theorist who opens a blog or web news page.

In the last 10 years if you take all the stories from main news outlets I think you would find very few that do not prove to be correct and even fewer that were downright lies and fabrications.

I disagree. Mainstream media is in an existential crisis because they have become irrelevant for the most part. There was once an iron grip on news held by a handful of corporations and they've all been crushed by sinking cable subscriptions and advertising rates and the near extinction of terrestrial radio and the newspaper. So they've doubled down on cultural Marxist narratives to try to create controversy. The Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown cases were absolute fabrications by the mainstream media. A substantial percentage of "hate crimes" that are reported end up being fake, but the media runs them no questions asked, just like they did with the Duke Lacrosse case because they're trying to constantly reinforce a narrative. Elizabeth Holmes and her company Thanos were untouchable pure gold until the Wall Street Journal blew the top off of their fraud despite receiving multiple threats of lawsuits. A ton of the stories they run are about public figures, which adds a substantial bar to a defamation claim.

So the F what if Kirk did tell scouts to watch out for the kid? I'm not a Ferentz fan, but good christ...

Tell me how it's different than any other job or position out there?

If I'm a manager somewhere and somebody working for me acts like a complete idiot, bucks authority, doesn't do what he's asked, and is a cancerous drama queen, there's no way in hell I'm giving him a good reference anywhere. Immature kid or not. Even if he's good at his particular job.

First of all, as a matter of principle I'm not a guy who likes to sell people lemons. I wouldn't want anyone doing that to me. Ferentz doesn't have to give the kid a good review, he just has to say nothing at all which is just as telling. I guarantee you he didn't say a bad word about him, but his lack of praise probably spoke volumes and was all that was necessary.

Second, people like Ferentz (and really any manager of people in general) have reputations to worry about when dealing with colleagues. If he blew sunshine up a bunch of NFL coaches asses and DJK went and turned out to be a shitty teammate and drama queen on an NFL team, how long do you think those same staffs would trust Kirk Ferentz's word?

F that. I will never vouch for someone who I wouldn't trust to be involved with myself. I agree with Rob on more issues than not, but in the video he made the case to Kirk that he's dealing with a "young man's career here." Yep, he was, but DJK slit his own throat; Kirk didn't.

There's also the "it's none of your f***ing business what I said to somebody else in a private conversation" angle. The media often believe they're entitled to know everything. They're not. (I know...a shocker to some of you).

Kirk is a big boy playing for big boy dollars. He had a pretty childish response. It is media responsibility to dig. The continued asking the same basic stuff over and over was likely not a good call. Did the reporter try and call NFL connections in the NFL to ask? Kirk just wasn't going to move.

The media and the public do in fact have rights to know what goes on with public paid employees.

The likely scenario here was probably a bit like Cap. He was a marginal player and not likely make it. He wasn't special teams material. This was a skill position. Why take a chance on someone who has a questionable reputation with no high end returns? Many of the guys helped by the KF connection are likely overachievers and generally well behaved.

On a side note given there are maybe 70 college football programs of relevance, that KF hasn't had a major QB or major receiver in the NFL is a bit obvious and maybe why he didn't make the NFL as HC

So the F what if Kirk did tell scouts to watch out for the kid? I'm not a Ferentz fan, but good christ...

and Rob is essentially baiting Kirk to trash the kid again publicly. He could have, but he took a pass. Again, there's no inherent "right" to know the content of every conversation KFz has ever had. I've been as critical of him as any (more for on-field/in-game stuff)...but don't blame him for brushing this question off.

The media and the public do in fact have rights to know what goes on with public paid employees.
That's some serious horseshit; even from you. Teachers are public employees, do we get to know about their conversations with a principal? Are we supposed to expect to be in the know about a DOT engineer's conversations with his mechanic when he goes to fix his car?

A conversation with someone not related whatsoever to the U, about someone who's no longer associated with the U (Koulianos) isn't part of some "right to know" stipulation.

If that's the case, are we supposed to be privy to Kirk's conversations about a former assistant if another coach asks about him?

How about If he gets asked for a reference on the contractor that built his house?

The media and public can piss and moan and bitch all they want, but nowhere is there any law that says personal conversations of a public employee are public knowledge. Especially in this situation where it had absolutely, 100% nothing to do with a University student or employee.

Last edited:
That's some serious horseshit; even from you. Teachers are public employees, do we get to know about their conversations with a principal? Are we supposed to expect to be in the know about a DOT engineer's conversations with his mechanic when he goes to fix his car?

A conversation with someone not related whatsoever to the U, about someone who's no longer associated with the U (Koulianos) isn't part of some "right to know" stipulation.

If that's the case, are we supposed to be privy to Kirk's conversations about a former assistant if another coach asks about him?

How about If he gets asked for a reference on the contractor that built his house if someone asks?

The media and public can piss and moan and bitch all they want, but nowhere is there any law that says personal conversations of a public employee are public knowledge. Especially in this situation where it had absolutely, 100% nothing to do with a University student or employee.

I'm not arguing, but why wouldn't have Kirk just said no comment then? He actually tried to defend himself when no defense was needed.

How about If he gets asked for a reference on the contractor that built his house if someone asks?

About anything you say anymore is horsecrap. Of course private conversations can be protected. My point was that it is within the rights of people to ask. You twisted what was said, but typical. You've been on a real roll lately even for you.

You are a disgrace to your avatar. Here is a suggestion
RsIP.gif

I'm not arguing, but why wouldn't have Kirk just said no comment then? He actually tried to defend himself when no defense was needed.
That's up to him, but to say that he has some obligation to explain himself like @HawkGold implied is false.

If it were me, I would have said "I wish Derrell the best and that's the only comment I have" and taken other questions. Kirk didn't do himself any favors by allowing himself to get baited or agitated. Which is easy for me to say because I'm not in front of cameras every day.

That's up to him, but to say that he has some obligation to explain himself like @HawkGold implied is false.

If it were me, I would have said "I wish Derrell the best and that's the only comment I have" and taken other questions. Kirk didn't do himself any favors by allowing himself to get baited or agitated. Which is easy for me to say because I'm not in front of cameras every day.

You can be reasonable when you want to be. And come off a bit smart.... when you want. Just stop being an idiot.

Latest posts