Are Expectations Ahead of Reality?

WinOneThisCentury

Listen, I'm as excited as the next guy and know this team has a high ceiling, but I've been thinking about, for example, Iowa playing Gonzaga. It's likely, that Gonzaga may have better athletes at every position...especially at the guard/forward. This team, against that level of competition is going to have some defensive challenges and challenges on the glass.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team looks as much as the next guy...but I'm also expecting some growing pains against really good competition.

Listen, I'm as excited as the next guy and know this team has a high ceiling, but I've been thinking about, for example, Iowa playing Gonzaga. It's likely, that Gonzaga may have better athletes at every position...especially at the guard/forward. This team, against that level of competition is going to have some defensive challenges and challenges on the glass.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team looks as much as the next guy...but I'm also expecting some growing pains against really good competition.
Iowa has a brutal schedule. The BT is loaded again. Added some tough non conf games. Lots of pressure when you are one of the top dogs. We are circled on a lot of other teams’ schedules, I would guess.

The problem with playing Gonzaga and UNC early is that if we win both everyone's gonna be like "Ermagawd, we're gonna go sooooo deep in the tournament." Then, the wheels will come off the Fran Bus like they always do and I'll be sulking around for the next 15 years until we have a good basketball team again and I'll get drawn in and then dejected when we lose to a 14 seed in the opening round. Ugh.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're over 20 years removed from a Sweet 16 and well over a quarter century removed from our last trip beyond the sweet 16. I just hope this is the year. The good thing about The Germ is that at least we won't draw some "neutral site" game against Duke in Greensboro or some shit in the second round.

The problem with playing Gonzaga and UNC early is that if we win both everyone's gonna be like "Ermagawd, we're gonna go sooooo deep in the tournament." Then, the wheels will come off the Fran Bus like they always do and I'll be sulking around for the next 15 years until we have a good basketball team again and I'll get drawn in and then dejected when we lose to a 14 seed in the opening round. Ugh.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're over 20 years removed from a Sweet 16 and well over a quarter century removed from our last trip beyond the sweet 16. I just hope this is the year. The good thing about The Germ is that at least we won't draw some "neutral site" game against Duke in Greensboro or some shit in the second round.
Yeah that's just it. We rarely can maintain early season momentum (when we've had some) to carry over late in the year. Last yr was supposed to be the yr Fran coulda put some of that late season slumping narrative to bed but 2020 happened. So it's almost become an I'll believe it when I see it thing. I'd rather lose both those big games early (look competitve doing it though I'm not ok with getting embarrassed) and go on to make some noise late in both tournys. .

We are getting better at winning close games and winning conference games on the road, two huge factors for improving conference and potential NCAA seedings, and we have a true stud in Luka Garza who we can ride all the way to a conference or NCAA run.

We must improve our conference tournament performance. We have become a laughing stock in that thing. Even last year we were poised to draw a dangerous Minnesota team who already had a win under their belt and was trying to erase a regular season of preposterous conference losses.

I don't think expectations are too high, I just think this is a different team than any modern MBB fan is used to seeing. First, the elephant in the room, we will likely start 5 white dudes. Very unusual in high major MBB these days. And while the team has good length and basketball savvy that will pay dividends on defense, overall, we will not be as athletic or as defensive minded as the high level opponents we will face.

Why this team should be special is on offense. Garza has demonstrated against the Top Big Men in the country last year that if you guard him 1-1 he will fill the stat sheet. Anyone remember Michigan last year? He demonstrated it is not a fluke against some great competition, and frankly, even when he is doubled, he still gets his. But who do you leave to double? With JBO back, we have three guards that are CAPABLE of shooting 40% from 3, and I would suggest Connor won't be far behind that number given that he is likely to have a good number of shots with no defender within 10 feet of him (given that his defender is likely to go double).

We are also deep and can bring some very good defenders and experienced veterans off the bench.

Could they fizzle? Sure. But on paper, this is a Top 5 team in my book.

I don't think expectations are too high, I just think this is a different team than any modern MBB fan is used to seeing. First, the elephant in the room, we will likely start 5 white dudes. Very unusual in high major MBB these days. And while the team has good length and basketball savvy that will pay dividends on defense, overall, we will not be as athletic or as defensive minded as the high level opponents we will face.

Why this team should be special is on offense. Garza has demonstrated against the Top Big Men in the country last year that if you guard him 1-1 he will fill the stat sheet. Anyone remember Michigan last year? He demonstrated it is not a fluke against some great competition, and frankly, even when he is doubled, he still gets his. But who do you leave to double? With JBO back, we have three guards that are CAPABLE of shooting 40% from 3, and I would suggest Connor won't be far behind that number given that he is likely to have a good number of shots with no defender within 10 feet of him (given that his defender is likely to go double).

We are also deep and can bring some very good defenders and experienced veterans off the bench.

Yes

MFing YES

:cool:

How many of you will get the vaccine when it comes out? I'm an old goat and I know I will not be first in line. I will wait for my niece, (an Iowa grad), who is in the research field, to tell me when it is safe. Maybe next year when most have stepped forward, crowds will once again be allowed in. I look forward to it but until then I will cheer from my man cave! GO HAWKS!
TROLL MUCH

I completely agree with your assessment...this is going to be a very good offensive team. The point I was making, is that there are some significant questions defensively against the other 4 teams rated ahead of them and around them. We will have to win some shoot outs...unless Garza and Nunge are better defenders than I remember. Luka improved greatly last year defensively...but there are alot of bigs these days with these top teams...that take you away from the basket...and can take you off the dribble.

Regardless...it's going to be really fun to watch.

How many of you will get the vaccine when it comes out? I'm an old goat and I know I will not be first in line. I will wait for my niece, (an Iowa grad), who is in the research field, to tell me when it is safe. Maybe next year when most have stepped forward, crowds will once again be allowed in. I look forward to it but until then I will cheer from my man cave! GO HAWKS!
Not locking this because it's a good thread, but do not post this stuff outside the Open Discussion forum again.

There is an Off-Topic forum specifically for this stuff; you can either use it or not use it, but it's not going to be posted here.

I think expectations are definitely ahead of reality. Yes, it appears the pieces are in place for a good season, but that is never a guarantee. Add in the Covid wildcard, and anything can happen.

History supports a deep run. Senior laden teams do well. Look at those mid majors in the tourney. What do the announcers always say? "Experience is a huge factor for these teams." And we have legit P5 talent.
In CBB, experience matters.

This is a deep, experienced team that can bring different looks with every lineup we throw out there.

Garza is a the returning POY. How many teams can say their POY came back?

We can outscore anyone. And it looks like we will be pretty good defensively. We are long and we will rebound.

Guys, this is a legit final 4 team. This team is better overall than any we have seen at Iowa. And I am not spouting hyperbole. This team will be amazing. Let us enjoy the ride. And after we have beaten UNC and Gonzaga and sit at #1 for the first time in forever, I will still be expecting big things, including a National title.

History supports a deep run. Senior laden teams do well. Look at those mid majors in the tourney. What do the announcers always say? "Experience is a huge factor for these teams." And we have legit P5 talent.
In CBB, experience matters.

This is a deep, experienced team that can bring different looks with every lineup we throw out there.

Garza is a the returning POY. How many teams can say their POY came back?

We can outscore anyone. And it looks like we will be pretty good defensively. We are long and we will rebound.

Guys, this is a legit final 4 team. This team is better overall than any we have seen at Iowa. And I am not spouting hyperbole. This team will be amazing. Let us enjoy the ride. And after we have beaten UNC and Gonzaga and sit at #1 for the first time in forever, I will still be expecting big things, including a National title.
This team is good but it still has some weaknesses, the most glaring is the perimeter defense.

But, yeah, this is the best we’ve seen in a LONG time. Might have to go back to the 86-87 team for one better.

I like Fran's take on the expectations, where he was all-in and didn't shy away at all. That sends a good message to the team.

That said, the B10 is going to be a major grind. I hate to say it, but I still see Illinois as the best team, and Wisconsin is right there with us in the mix.

To get over the hump, we must find a way to shore up our on-ball defense and our handling of the pick-and-roll. Defense is our Achille's Heel and our lack thereof will rise up and bite us against the better teams. It could mean the difference between Final Four and Sweet Sixteen.

Soooo many dudes who are not afraid of the moment. If everything hinged on JW I would be concerned, but it doesn’t.

This team is built like one of those mid- major teams that get to an elite 8 or a final 4 because they have guys who have been around forever.

This will be as good as it gets under Fran so expectations should be high.

Gonzaga will be a good measuring stick

Speaking of the Zags, they are in a barn burner with Kansas. Ripped me away from the Alford/Hoiberg snoozefest in a hurry.

Last edited:
We really need to work on stopping those drives down the lane. It looked like a freeway to the basket last night.

We really need to work on stopping those drives down the lane. It looked like a freeway to the basket last night.
That's why I would prefer Joe T logging starters minutes. He is capable of shutting down dribble drive.

And I think JBo could be a HELL of a sixth man, plus you could use his 88% free throw shooting to ice games.

We aren't a final four team unless Joe T is playing like Yogi Farrell or Carsen Edwards and he's not at that level. We're going to have to do it like Wisconsin did in 2015 and 16 and that will require Joe W to be Sam Dekker.