Are Developmental Programs A Thing Of The Past?

MelroseHawkins

Does Iowa need to shift gears and get out of that frame of mind? We've heard it for years and it's been pretty true in the past, or has it? Has it merely been an excuse?

With the landscape of college sports changing significantly and at a record pace, does Iowa need to learn how to reload and evolve better now? I could have easily put this thread in the basketball forum as well as it affects both.

The transfer portal and NIL are having a huge impact on teams, rosters, coaches, conference realignments, etc etc.. The snowball is rolling. Is it time now for teams to get out of that "developmental program" mode as teams need to be pretty fluid from season to season now?

If you are a developmental program, are you going to spend 2-3 years grooming a player that might just pick up and leave for a more playing time. Are you going to risk developing and manufacturing a player for eventually another team's benefit. Now one has to really question the resources spent on some players. I guess a team like Iowa has to take that risk and still develop, hoping they won't leave for another opportunity.

I mean how much can Iowa afford to put into these players with open free agency now and the NIL enticement dangling in front of players! This is what is sad about how college sports are changing.

Food for thought.

Last edited:
It's certainly a topic. I don't think we'll see a shift on that at Iowa under KF though. Just look at the QB position. Our QB play has sucked the last 2 yrs to put it bluntly and with a litany of options available with the transfer portal it's to my understanding that the staff never even entertained the thought of looking around to upgrade the position. We've had QBs transfer out but we don't look to bring any in with the intent of plugging and playing them.

Now at a lot of other spots we've had luck doing that but at QB they are hell bent on making the QB be able to recite the playbook backwards and forwards before they can play. Who cares if they can actually read a defense and throw on time and accurately and God forbid actually make plays when a play breaks down.

I'm sure Iowa will probably have to delve into the portal to fill holes at other spots more and more as guys continue to leave but I would say in general Iowa will be one of the more reluctant schools to shop around the portal for guys.

Hoops is a totally different ball game. Fran is all about it he's been trying like crazy to get a big guy this off season. He'll gladly use it to fill a hole or 2 with the right fit. He's been fortunate in 2 ways recently and that is with recruiting state of Iowa he's been cherry picking the best kids and keeping them here. The Wieskamps McCafferys the Sandforts JBo etc etc. Guys that stay 3 or more yrs. Having a core group and then filling holes aroud them is the best way to try team building I would say. It's when you start having 1 and done kids that throws monkey wrenches into that. That's a whole different issue.

This question makes me think of the classic axiom: culture eats strategy for breakfast.

If Iowa can continue to be a program where players stick around, even if they don't get immediate playing time, they can exploit a huge market inefficiency. Other teams will have to water-down what they teach, and they will have a bunch of guys looking out for themselves, and Iowa will just be chugging along, doing what they have always done.

When James Daniels called out the program for unequal treatment of players in 2020, many thought it would be the death knell for the KF era. But by bringing this problems to the forefront, by all accounts it seems like the culture has gotten even stronger. If they can continue to hold onto players like Terry Roberts, Dallas Craddieth, Reggie Bracy, Jay Higgins, etc. even when they are not immediately elevated to starting positions, it will be a big advantage.

This question makes me think of the classic axiom: culture eats strategy for breakfast.

If Iowa can continue to be a program where players stick around, even if they don't get immediate playing time, they can exploit a huge market inefficiency. Other teams will have to water-down what they teach, and they will have a bunch of guys looking out for themselves, and Iowa will just be chugging along, doing what they have always done.

When James Daniels called out the program for unequal treatment of players in 2020, many thought it would be the death knell for the KF era. But by bringing this problems to the forefront, by all accounts it seems like the culture has gotten even stronger. If they can continue to hold onto players like Terry Roberts, Dallas Craddieth, Reggie Bracy, Jay Higgins, etc. even when they are not immediately elevated to starting positions, it will be a big advantage.
:cool:

Iowa basketball is getting credit for being a development factory

Garza, Weiscamp and Murray

Hawkeye Football sends 3 star tight ends and offensive linemen to the pros

Keegan is getting a phenomenal amount of praise

Jimmy Jackson couldn't stop talking about him

Said: We started talking about him before the game and now at halftime

Really a pleasure to watch Keegan this Summer

It's certainly a topic. I don't think we'll see a shift on that at Iowa under KF though. Just look at the QB position. Our QB play has sucked the last 2 yrs to put it bluntly and with a litany of options available with the transfer portal it's to my understanding that the staff never even entertained the thought of looking around to upgrade the position. We've had QBs transfer out but we don't look to bring any in with the intent of plugging and playing them.

Now at a lot of other spots we've had luck doing that but at QB they are hell bent on making the QB be able to recite the playbook backwards and forwards before they can play. Who cares if they can actually read a defense and throw on time and accurately and God forbid actually make plays when a play breaks down.

I'm sure Iowa will probably have to delve into the portal to fill holes at other spots more and more as guys continue to leave but I would say in general Iowa will be one of the more reluctant schools to shop around the portal for guys.

Hoops is a totally different ball game. Fran is all about it he's been trying like crazy to get a big guy this off season. He'll gladly use it to fill a hole or 2 with the right fit. He's been fortunate in 2 ways recently and that is with recruiting state of Iowa he's been cherry picking the best kids and keeping them here. The Wieskamps McCafferys the Sandforts JBo etc etc. Guys that stay 3 or more yrs. Having a core group and then filling holes aroud them is the best way to try team building I would say. It's when you start having 1 and done kids that throws monkey wrenches into that. That's a whole different issue.
Kind of reminds of when Nebraska had a chance to get Joe Burrow as a QB transfer and the NEB coaches were like, is he really any better than the QB's we already have?

Being able to go to the transfer portal at the QB position with more than three or four feasible options would require a scheme change. There are very few guys you can bring in with only one off-season and expect any improvement with a pro style scheme these days. The vast majority of these guys will have no experience in an offense like Iowa’s and aren’t going to be able to run it at a high level. Kirk values being able to run the offense above all else, including being an effective passer. Unless you want say a Graham Mertz if Wisconsin were to move on (or a similar situation) or whatever the hell is on the bench behind him, you don’t have many options. It doesn’t really make much sense to go to the portal at the QB position if they can’t start the season after they transfer. If Iowa can’t develop the guys they’ve handpicked, I’m not sure how they can develop someone who washed out of another program.

1658124947124.png

In regards to developmental programs....Break the Rock.....more like the Break the axle.

giphy.gif

Ford the River.....about the same result as the stretch play to the short side of field.

In all seriousness we aren't doing to bad.....we were just in the Big Ten Championship game. That said, NIL and with players leaving early does concern me. And for a developmental program, we sure seem to suck at developing QBs and a potent offense. I see Petras has been working with the Mannings....we will see if that has any effect....or will that be all for not if/when he gets re-coached up(or down) by the current coaching staff.

Last edited:
Being able to go to the transfer portal at the QB position with more than three or four feasible options would require a scheme change. There are very few guys you can bring in with only one off-season and expect any improvement with a pro style scheme these days. The vast majority of these guys will have no experience in an offense like Iowa’s and aren’t going to be able to run it at a high level. Kirk values being able to run the offense above all else, including being an effective passer. Unless you want say a Graham Mertz if Wisconsin were to move on (or a similar situation) or whatever the hell is on the bench behind him, you don’t have many options. It doesn’t really make much sense to go to the portal at the QB position if they can’t start the season after they transfer. If Iowa can’t develop the guys they’ve handpicked, I’m not sure how they can develop someone who washed out of another program.
Iowa does need to develop QBs better. They also need to cut bait on the ones that in 3 yrs time aren't any good too. Some of the Qbs in the portal (not all but some) aren't those that washed out but just had coaching changes/other QBs in the mix for the job that are also pretty good too. It's not that they themselves are bad. And honestly who could be worse than Petras the last 2 yrs? Literally anything would be an upgrade. It'd be tough to do worse. How many Qbs get the opportunity at having 3 terrible seasons?

Also if the staff looked around at the portal/landscape of available kids and decided they didn't want to go that route that'd be one thing. But the way I understand it is KF didn't even entertain the thought of looking around. To me that's a dereliction of doing his job. His job is to try and improve the roster. Not trying to when there's a way to do so is a combination of laziness and stubbornness. Scouring the portal should be almost as important as recruiting is. Those that take it that seriously will benefit from it.

Last edited:
View attachment 9093

In regards to developmental programs....Break the Rock.....more like the Break the axle.

giphy.gif

Ford the River.....about the same result as the stretch play to the short side of field.

In all seriousness we aren't doing to bad.....we were just in the Big Ten Championship game. That said, NIL and with players leaving early does concern me. And for a developmental program, we sure seem to suck at developing QBs and a potent offense. I see Petras has been working with the Mannings....we will see if that has any effect....or will that be all for not if/when he gets re-coached up(or down) by the current coaching staff.

The whole point is not to where we have been or how Iowa has been doing. The point is with the open transfer portal and NIL, will that make developmental teams a thing of the past as teams will really have to work with a fluid roster and be able to change gears much quicker in the future. Can a team like Iowa afford to stay on that developmental level, with players freely being able to go when they want.

We have the 120th ranked offense.
You are concerned a transfer could not maintain that "high level"?

Last edited:
The whole point is not to where we have been or how Iowa has been doing. The point is with the open transfer portal and NIL, will that make developmental teams a thing of the past as teams will really have to work with a fluid roster and be able to change gears much quicker in the future. Can a team like Iowa afford to stay on that developmental level, with players freely being able to go when they want.
I agree, I worry we have problems lurking ahead. That is why they are starting to take up a collection plate public.

IMO in football, no for most programs. Most programs can't pay the guys that might want to transfer.

In basketball it's going to be a lot bigger issue.

I agree, I worry we have problems lurking ahead. That is why they are starting to take up a collection plate public.

My dad passed the collection basket around on Sundays

When he came to the pew my brother and I were sitting in

He would shake the basket in front of our faces until we dropped some change into the basket

Sometimes he would reach into the collection basket and offer us a fistful of bills

It Was All Good

My dad passed the collection basket around on Sundays

When he came to the pew my brother and I were sitting in

He would shake the basket in front of our faces until we dropped some change into the basket

Sometimes he would reach into the collection basket and offer us a fistful of bills

It Was All Good

1658202334660.png

NEED QUARTERBACK, NEED POINT GUARD anything helps....GOD BLESS GARY BARTA.

It will be interesting to see how the transfer portal strategies of the B10 teams will play out.

Q: Is Iowa content to play the hand we have or are we unable to attract any transfer portal talent?

It will be interesting to see how the transfer portal strategies of the B10 teams will play out.

Q: Is Iowa content to play the hand we have or are we unable to attract any transfer portal talent?
What sticks out to me is not the one transfer we took. It's the 16 that Nebraska must have felt forced to take. That's called desperation.

Latest posts