Apologist forgiveness thread

Unfortunately, they play to the level of their competition (most of the time) and since he's had some big wins, they have rewarded him with extensions. They don't have a killer instinct to want to blow people out. When it happens, it's usually by accident cause most of the time they let their foot off the gas.

This is true of course, and the thing which bothers me MORE than how it costs us respect and wins . . . is the number of people who equate using ALL YOUR RESOURCES in a game to being an unclassy person. "Kirk is who I want because he doesn't run up the score". These superfans have hurt the thing they love more than the ferentzhaters have. It's astonishing how many people can't (or won't) see the irony.

I think people are confused by the fidelity issue.
"always a Hawkeye" doesn't translate to "always support Lickliter cuz if ya don't you're not an Iowa fan"
Actually, being an Iowa fan means supporting the firing of Lickliter. Now I know KF isn't Lick. But Lick wasn't advancing the program and neither is KF.
But the larger issue to me is how fans enable our current predicament by not being able to understand what "supporting the Hawkeyes" really means. Setting high standards is actually supporting the Hawkeyes, but that concept has been twisted to the point where "I think 6 wins is pride-worthy cuz we met expectations" is considered being the superior fan. If your child gets Cs and Ds in school, its not supporting them to tell them you are impressed with their report card and no changes needed.
I named my dog Lickliter.

I was in the 9 win camp, but that was assuming Brian was going to be a better OC than Davis.

You were in the 9-win camp...having been, as you said elsewhere, "meh" about the program since 2012? C'mon, man, you're as inconsistent as this year's team.

Let's recap what the general consensus was before the season started:

--6-6/7-5 was the plurality pick for record prediction (interesting side note is that with each successive game haters increased the win total for their predictions, i.e., some now claim they predicted 9 or more wins...all the sudden)
--General thought was that passing game was in trouble, hope was that Butler and Quarrells would prop it up a bit, TEs, or at least Fant, should be of some value
--OL, as reigning Joe Moore Award winner(s), would be solid
--Questions on DL, LBs solid, DBs had Rugamba, but we would miss Snyder
--Special Teams had question marks (this should have been the bright f'ing red flag, huh?)
--We didn't know who was going to start at QB until late-August
--Losses were "probably" PSU, O$U and Wiscy, with MSU and NW as "also will probably lose";alternatively, thoughts were that we would "steal" one game we shouldn't and lose one we shouldn't; ??? was how good Minny and Nebby would be

What we have gotten:
--6-6/7-5 seems to be right on target
--Passing game HAS had bright spots, but has also given new meaning to the term, "Somebody dropped the ball", including the TEs, and Butler's injury was (possibly) less surprising than the fact Quarrells hasn't seen the field
--OL has been as inconsistent as passing game, and is in fact as much a reason for said inconsistency in the passing game. Won't be defending the Joe Moore Award, may have shot at Dudley Moore Award
--DL, aside from occasional brilliance along with occasional lack of ANY sort of pressure, has been about what was expected; LBs have certainly delivered, with the expected deficiencies in pass coverage; DBs have been surprise at every position, i.e., Josh Jackson came out of nowhere to become all-world, Rugamba has regressed, safeties seem to rotate on a daily basis dependent on performance, depth appears weak, Snyder's return was the epitome of "short-lived"
--Special Teams has been nothing short of unimpressive: kick-off returns are "meh" on a good day, punt returns need significant improvement to even reach "meh", punting is worse than our punt returns, while PATs/FGs/KOs has been pleasant surprise. Punt coverage, when not watching a 22-yard punt roll out of bounds at our own 38-yard line, has been average, while kick-off return coverage hasn't hurt us in any way/shape/form

In short, the one surprise NOBODY saw coming was the spanking of O$U. That's the one we stole. Purdue has improved significantly, which is the one we shouldn't have lost. The fact we also shouldn't have lost to NW and MSU is frustrating, the PSU loss heartbreaking, and the inconsistency mind-blowing.

The apologists have been shocked by the drops, the penalties, the lapses in execution. The haters now (again, all the sudden) now say we have top-level talent but it's being wasted by coaches. Both camps are shocked at the way Wadley is being (mis)utilized and wondering how much effect the Butler injury has had.

There has been a consensus all season in the Big Ten power rankings that there is a top7 and bottom7, and despite the loss to Purdue, Iowa is still clearly a Top7 team in the Big Ten!

--6-6/7-5 was the plurality pick for record prediction (interesting side note is that with each successive game haters increased the win total for their predictions, i.e., some now claim they predicted 9 or more wins...all the sudden)
--General thought was that passing game was in trouble, hope was that Butler and Quarrells would prop it up a bit, TEs, or at least Fant, should be of some value
--Special Teams had question marks (this should have been the bright f'ing red flag, huh?)
--Losses were "probably" PSU, O$U and Wiscy, with MSU and NW as "also will probably lose";alternatively, thoughts were that we would "steal" one game we shouldn't and lose one we shouldn't; ??? was how good Minny and Nebby would be

What we have gotten:
--Passing game HAS had bright spots, but has also given new meaning to the term, "Somebody dropped the ball", including the TEs, and Butler's injury was (possibly) less surprising than the fact Quarrells hasn't seen the field
--OL has been as inconsistent as passing game, and is in fact as much a reason for said inconsistency in the passing game. Won't be defending the Joe Moore Award, may have shot at Dudley Moore Award
--DL, aside from occasional brilliance along with occasional lack of ANY sort of pressure, has been about what was expected; LBs have certainly delivered, with the expected deficiencies in pass coverage; DBs have been surprise at every position, i.e., Josh Jackson came out of nowhere to become all-world, Rugamba has regressed, safeties seem to rotate on a daily basis dependent on performance, depth appears weak, Snyder's return was the epitome of "short-lived"
--Special Teams has been nothing short of unimpressive: kick-off returns are "meh" on a good day, punt returns need significant improvement to even reach "meh", punting is worse than our punt returns, while PATs/FGs/KOs has been pleasant surprise. Punt coverage, when not watching a 22-yard punt roll out of bounds at our own 38-yard line, has been average, while kick-off return coverage hasn't hurt us in any way/shape/form

In short, the one surprise NOBODY saw coming was the spanking of O$U. That's the one we stole. Purdue has improved significantly, which is the one we shouldn't have lost. The fact we also shouldn't have lost to NW and MSU is frustrating, the PSU loss heartbreaking, and the inconsistency mind-blowing.

The apologists have been shocked by the drops, the penalties, the lapses in execution. The haters now (again, all the sudden) now say we have top-level talent but it's being wasted by coaches. Both camps are shocked at the way Wadley is being (mis)utilized and wondering how much effect the Butler injury has had.

When we discuss W/L records, I suggest we focus on the B10 record. I think we all agree we schedule 3 gimme's for non-con, so the overall record can be misleading.
Depending on the outcome of the NEB game, we will be 4-5 or 3-6. Either way, a losing record in the B10.
I consider that unacceptable.

You were in the 9-win camp...having been, as you said elsewhere, "meh" about the program since 2012? C'mon, man, you're as inconsistent as this year's team.
I said I was meh about Kirk Ferentz since 2012. I had hopes that it was true about Brian being able to say no to daddy. That either hasn't happened or Brian just isn't a good OC. Don't misquote me again.

What we have gotten:

We have spots were there is some good talent but anyone that believes we have top-level talent is lying to themselves. Can we get it? Maybe but we'd prefer to look for the under the radar developmental guys or snatch em from the MAC.

We have spots were there is some good talent but anyone that believes we have top-level talent is lying to themselves. Can we get it? Maybe but we'd prefer to look for the under the radar developmental guys or snatch em from the MAC.

In a different thread I mentioned it's no accident he luvs stealing from the MAC. He likely assumes those kids don't come with an ego that will challenge his. Ironically, even with that strategy he has a sizeable number of transfers every off-season. I guess even kids with few options can get tired of running into a brick wall. We sure could've used DMX this season.

In a different thread I mentioned it's no accident he luvs stealing from the MAC. He likely assumes those kids don't come with an ego that will challenge his. Ironically, even with that strategy he has a sizeable number of transfers every off-season. I guess even kids with few options can get tired of running into a brick wall. We sure could've used DMX this season.

Not sure we even needed DMX. Toren Young is more than capable of being the hammer while Wadley is the lightning just like LeShaun was last year. Young's not quite as big but that kid has done absolutely nothing to not be awarded with some playing time especially after the 10th time you run Wadley into 8 and 9 man fronts. Seems like whenever Young is in, he gets 5-6 yds per carry. Don't remember any fumbles by him so.....why not play him? Use Wadley as the change of pace back where he really excels. The cynical side of me thinks that maybe KF/BF has ran those Wadley plays up the middle to prove that they were right for the first few years saying he needed to be bigger. (I don't really believe that but it's the only thing I can come up with for why they continue to slam Wadley into walls between the tackles.)

Latest posts