Apathy...

The so called touchdown ruled a fumble was actually a fumble theres a picture of it somewhere out there. He was losing the ball before it crossed the goalline.

That is what I thought, too. And if it is close enough that different people who cheer for the Hawks came to different conclusions, it was probably too close to overturn, and it was just as likely to be the right call as the wrong call.

I thought the no OPI in the end-zone was also the right call.

I thought the sideline, 3rd down catch should have been reviewed (I guess that is on our coaches, Big 12 rules for review are slightly different and refs are not obligated to stop the clock on a close play to enable a review), and the DeJean hit out of bounds was a bad call. I am sure we could come up with some other calls that went in our favor (just ask ISU fans, I am sure they have some in mind).

We definitely didn't get any home-cooking from the refs in that game, but to say they cost us the game is silly.

To me, that ball looks like it is already out of his control. I have never seen a ball-carrier have the ball under control in that position relative to his arm.
There is a better picture of it somewhere.....he breaks the plane as was mentioned in this thread...he lunged forward clearly across the goal line. I just don't think the Big 12 officials (nor our horrid offense) was going to let us win that game.....mother nature even made it more shitty for us in the 4th to have to sit and suffer through.

With a freshman in Iowa City, I'm anything but apathetic. I've attended 1.6 games since I graduated in the early 90s. One randomly about 4 years ago. The other .6th of a game was Nevada. I'm already looking at least one more game this season.

While I can't see this being anything other than a write-off, I'm like the proverbial Cub fan, Wait 'til next year. Or wait til Wood and Prior are both healthy. Improvement must come. The team we love hasn't

I just want my son to have one week like the week after Penn State last year.
Or Drew Tate to Halloway. Or McNutt in the end zone.
Or even a random punking of OSU.
And his remaining years to include no losses to ISU or Nebraska.
A sniff or two at the Big10 title.
I realize a #3 ranking beating a #4 team is a really big ask. But the others aren't terribly unreasonable.

Also how come nobody told me George's Gyros opened a brick and mortar???

In my case the apathy is directed towards the O specifically and how it's being handled. Not Iowa Football overall. I'll still watch and yell at the tv. I've just had my hopes up (with no logical reason to do so). I wanted to buy into what the media was selling. "Oline will be better" (minus Lindy) Petras will be better even though he is who he is. 'young receivers will be better' (although injuries have derailed some of that). 'BF will be more aggressive' when he is who he is he's either doing his fathers bidding or this is how he wants to do things. Either way results are what they are.

It's weird because most of the teams goals are still in front of this team. Yet here I am cup half empty. If Iowa goes on to win 8 or 9 games and not score 30 points (or 14) in games the rest of the way then great. I just don't think they can. To win that many with literally the worst offense in football seems impossible to me but I'll watch to hopefully see them prove me wrong.
You're all good, and I think and know you are not alone in this. I just think about so many other fan bases that don't have what we have. I'm saving my apathy, disgruntle fan, fire everyone, the sky is falling to when the inevitable down turn hits Iowa football.

I'm 44 - I've only witnessed 9 losing seasons as an Iowa fan and three of those were before I was 4 years old. So, since I've been an adult (18) I've only experienced 4 losing seasons. 4 losing seasons in 22 years.

I've only known Iowa as being a great program that is the envy of many. I'm saving my apathy for when there's real reason to not care about Iowa Football cause it's almost inevitable that we'll face that at some point. It aint right now.

To me, that ball looks like it is already out of his control. I have never seen a ball-carrier have the ball under control in that position relative to his arm.
That what I think, too, as I see the picture. But the picture is after crossing the goal line. As I saw it on Saturday, he had control as the nose of the ball touched the goal line, at least, then the ball started to wobble, hence the picture you are seeing now. Just my opinion.

The so called touchdown ruled a fumble was actually a fumble theres a picture of it somewhere out there. He was losing the ball before it crossed the goalline.

Does it not show him lying on top of the ball with his arm or arms on it? At the very worst it should have been Iowa’s ball at the one foot yard line. Was the whistle blown at that time??? It’s one thing to see a ball come loose amongst a large group of players and then the ball carrier disappears amongst the crowd, but it’s an entirely different thing to see a guy slightly bobbles ball and then see HIM ALONE come down with the ball underneath him with both arms surrounding or cradling the ball between his chest and arms and the ground. Ball is automatically dead and DOWN at that point. The ball didn’t pop loose from his possession and roll off from under him.

Well, it’s water under the bridge at this point. The culprit falls on an inept offensive coordinator and the head coach. What head coach keeps Brian around after last year. To make matters worse you promote said offensive coordinator to be QB Coach when that offensive coordinator has ZERO experience at that position.

The question everyone is avoiding is what message was Kirk sending when he did this?

I’ve mentioned this after Kirk made this decision. It made ZERO sense. There are thousands of former college QB’s out there who could have ran circles around Brian. So what are the possibilities here. Only two came to my mind at the time.

One, they have someone to be QB coach who is currently under contact, who will be freed up at the end of this year.

Two, Brian was crying to his daddy that Okeef was the blame for everything having to do with the offense so Kirk went to his friend and explained the situation to Okeef and asked him to step down on his own. Then went back to Brian and said it’s your baby at this point and it’s all on you next season………. No more excuses.

Now both of these are pure speculation on my part. If you got something better cough it up right here. I am all ears at this point. I like option one.

One more possibility I guess is that instead of a QB coach they are waiting on, there could be an offensive coordinator out there that they are waiting on who will want to have their own QB coach.

This whole thing is just NUTS and makes ZERO sense.

Three seasons ago I conceded as much as I have loathed the offense Philosophy of Kirk ball, Kirk is a good coach and I was alright with him staying around. Good God all a person has to do is look at our neighbor’s West of us in Lincoln and see the risk involved with playing musical chairs with head coaches. So there you go Fryowa I agree with you.

Now I wonder if I jinxed the program somehow……. YIKES!!! or are the law of averages coming back to bite us from last season??? What a weird and unlikely season ending record we had last season with such a putrid offense.

You're all good, and I think and know you are not alone in this. I just think about so many other fan bases that don't have what we have. I'm saving my apathy, disgruntle fan, fire everyone, the sky is falling to when the inevitable down turn hits Iowa football.

I'm 44 - I've only witnessed 9 losing seasons as an Iowa fan and three of those were before I was 4 years old. So, since I've been an adult (18) I've only experienced 4 losing seasons. 4 losing seasons in 22 years.

I've only known Iowa as being a great program that is the envy of many. I'm saving my apathy for when there's real reason to not care about Iowa Football cause it's almost inevitable that we'll face that at some point. It aint right now.
That's what frustrates me about myself and why I'm like this. Totally agree. It can be worse. Way worse and most likely will be some day down the road. Maybe this is the start of that but maybe not. They could still win 8 games and not be surprised by that. We've all been happy with that or less before. It's just such a unique dynamic to have a top 5 D and bottom 5 O.

Boring football sparks apathy. I do love to watch the defense. But I would prefer to watch an offense that can score 35 any day.

Watching a zone read play to the short side of the fies sucks.

Could someone tell me how an offense that goes 3 and out 10 times in a half plays complimentary football with the defense? Or turns the ball over multiple times in their own territory. A ball control offense runs on short gains and controlling the time of procession and is run heavy to allow the defense to rest. When was the last time Iowa went on a long drive that resulted in points by rushing and a controlled passing game that resembled an offense? I would just like to see Iowa’s offense not look like a kid driving a stick for the first time. I believe the talent is there, just not the execution. Whose fault is that is the question.

The apathy lies within Kirk and Brian.
Despite fielding on offense of legendary impotence year after year, there has been, and continues to be no change in the offense, whether it be coaching, strategy, tactics, schemes, personnel, etc.