Anyone who defends Davis....

Wassabbe

and kills Vandenberg, is clueless. Yes Vandenberg has been bad, really bad. But I keep reading that it's not Davis fault and he needs a better QB for this system.

BULL!

Last year, Vandenberg had 25 TD's to 7 INT's, his QB rating was 138 and he avg 7.48 ypa
This year, Vandenberg has 3 TD's to 5 INT's, his Qb rating is 103 and he averages 5.73 ypa

What changed from this year to last? The coordinator! Our play calling is what Texas fans said it would be. Need 8 yards and we have multiple targets running 5 yard routes. James hasn't been coached up at all and now he's taking the blame for a coordinator who couldn't make it work with Texas talent in the Big 12 where defense sucks. Let's call it what it is, we have a horrible OC who is in over his head.

A coach is rarely responsible for this type of performance decrease. Unfortunately it's too early to know. We won't know for at least two more seasons.

Speaking of coaching, how badly did JoPa squander talent? These guys were bigger, more talented and faster. By a significant margin. Their team is decimated, and look at their 4 and 5 star recruits last night. They are playing at the level of a top 10 to 15 team right now.

Last edited:
I agree about Davis to an extent but, JVB seeing a blitz and throwing it away before a defender even gets close or locking on to one receiver and throwing to him even if he is triple covered screams that he shouldn't be out there.

Vandy sucks, and Davis sucks.....I NEVER thought I would say this...but I want KOK back...oh lord I just said that.

This thread, along with almost all of them between now and next Saturday, is going to get ugly in a hurry.

It may be the system, but I am starting to believe that less and less. JVB is missing wide open targets or making them twist to catch it. Even with this system I think, barring last night, we are undefeated if the QB can throw an accurate ball even 80% of the time.

and kills Vandenberg, is clueless. Yes Vandenberg has been bad, really bad. But I keep reading that it's not Davis fault and he needs a better QB for this system.

BULL!

Last year, Vandenberg had 25 TD's to 7 INT's, his QB rating was 138 and he avg 7.48 ypa
This year, Vandenberg has 3 TD's to 5 INT's, his Qb rating is 103 and he averages 5.73 ypa

What changed from this year to last? The coordinator! Our play calling is what Texas fans said it would be. Need 8 yards and we have multiple targets running 5 yard routes. James hasn't been coached up at all and now he's taking the blame for a coordinator who couldn't make it work with Texas talent in the Big 12 where defense sucks. Let's call it what it is, we have a horrible OC who is in over his head.

Your absolutely right, with a new OC or KOK calling the shots Vandy would be an All-American. Get a clue, Vandy's as much to blame as GD and last I notice GD wasn't missing wide open receivers because he was locked on to a primary.
The play calling has been rough, but our offense looks better if we actually put the ball where it needs to go and when it's there the receivers actually catch it.

McGloin's also got an absolute offensive genius running the show. BOB is going to be an amazing head coach in this conference and I'm glad both he and Urban are in the other division.

All i have to say is McGloin has a brand new offense.....and he whipped our ***!!! Try again

Their coach has a clue on how to run an offense. Give your QB easy passes to the tight end on some easy roll outs. Build up his confidence.

Davis has a record of being an awful OC. Vandenberg has a record prior of being a decent Big 10 QB. This year he is awful. What changed?

BULL!

Your absolutely right, with a new OC or KOK calling the shots Vandy would be an All-American. Get a clue, Vandy's as much to blame as GD and last I notice GD wasn't missing wide open receivers because he was locked on to a primary.
The play calling has been rough, but our offense looks better if we actually put the ball where it needs to go and when it's there the receivers actually catch it.

Did you miss the bolded above? Vandy has been awful. I'm not defending him. I'm more calling out our OC who is a joke. Look at the #'s! Compare them to last year. KOK is laughing at all Iowa fans now that wanted him gone. He's 5X the OC this clown is.

Their coach has a clue on how to run an offense. Give your QB easy passes to the tight end on some easy roll outs. Build up his confidence.

Davis has a record of being an awful OC. Vandenberg has a record prior of being a decent Big 10 QB. This year he is awful. What changed?

I hate to say it, but I think his over inflated numbers during the OOC schedule last year made him appear to be a decent B1G QB. I think once the blue print became blitz and blitz often, he was exposed.

Listen, McGloin lost his ENTIRE coaching staff, Silas Redd, his best Wide Receiver transferred to Oklahoma, a good Tight End and check out his stats this year compared to last.

Now compare that to Vandenberg. The numbers go the other way and the big difference is Davis

I hate to say it, but I think his over inflated numbers during the OOC schedule last year made him appear to be a decent B1G QB. I think once the blue print became blitz and blitz often, he was exposed.

He still threw 17 TD's to 6 INT's against BCS teams last year

Fire all the staff members...Fire Barta...Start from scratch because if this is the best we can get for 3.5 million..than this is the worse investment in iowa history

He still threw 17 TD's to 6 INT's against BCS teams last year

Maybe so, but Davis isn't the one that looks clueless on the field. I don't care what kind of coaching is going on, if a QB can't stand there and see the wide open receivers, it is on him.

Vandy is riding the coattails of a game 3 years ago, and a comeback against a terrible Pitt team last year. He has always been mediocre at best, we just got fooled.

All i have to say is McGloin has a brand new offense.....and he whipped our ***!!! Try again

Bingo. McGloin and Vandy provide a good window into what's happened. Two QBs going opposite directions, and it goes right to the coaching. I spoke with some Penn St fans last night and asked what had gotten into McGloin and they said without hesitation: Good Coaching. They don 't say it publicly, it would be blasphemy in State College, but they don't miss Paterno one bit.

Had the chance to speak with a couple people close to the program (one parent of a player, another who is friends with the parent of a player...both guys who's names you'd recognize.) The players say the right things in front of the camera, as they should, but they have little or no confidence in Davis. He's been a disaster as OC.

The worst part is, we're likely stuck with this. We all know how open to changes KFz is. The slide that began in 2010 is only going to get worse.

Bingo. McGloin and Vandy provide a good window into what's happened. Two QBs going opposite directions, and it goes right to the coaching. I spoke with some Penn St fans last night and asked what had gotten into McGloin and they said without hesitation: Good Coaching. They don 't say it publicly, it would be blasphemy in State College, but they don't miss Paterno one bit.

Had the chance to speak with a couple people close to the program (one parent of a player, another who is friends with the parent of a player...both guys who's names you'd recognize.) The players say the right things in front of the camera, as they should, but they have little or no confidence in Davis. He's been a disaster as OC.

The worst part is, we're likely stuck with this. We all know how open to changes KFz is. The slide that began in 2010 is only going to get worse.

Curiious, but did they happen to say what the players thought of KOK's departure?