Anyone who defends Davis....

He still threw 17 TD's to 6 INT's against BCS teams last year

Actually, it was 20:7 against BCS teams, Iowa Hawkeyes 2011 Game Log | College Football at Sports-Reference.com, but there was a two-game stretch against NW and Indiana, both of which had terrible secondaries last year, where he was 6:1. That goes to the larger concept of him racking up arcade-like numbers against poor pass defenses on his way to 3000 yds and 25:7. Generally, of course QBs do worse against better defenses, but we had a multitude of games last year where the offense just flat-out didn't even threaten at meaningful times (MSU, Neb, PSU, Okla); totally overmatched.

BSpringsteen is laughing at us all from poster heaven right now. (He's probably not in poster heaven; I just haven't been around here in awhile and haven't seen him post since last night's debacle).

I'm starting to believe that Kirk knew what he was doing when he hired Davis....He just wanted to make KOK look adequate in comparison and put it to the fans who criticized his buddy.

As Golfer said look at what BOB has done with a loss of some good talents and a former WALK ON QB. It can be done, so why not at Iowa?

My point was also PSU has T10 talent, and last night was a T10 team. This talent was around when JoPa was there. If I was a PSU fan, I'd be ******.

and kills Vandenberg, is clueless. Yes Vandenberg has been bad, really bad. But I keep reading that it's not Davis fault and he needs a better QB for this system.

BULL!

Last year, Vandenberg had 25 TD's to 7 INT's, his QB rating was 138 and he avg 7.48 ypa
This year, Vandenberg has 3 TD's to 5 INT's, his Qb rating is 103 and he averages 5.73 ypa

What changed from this year to last? The coordinator! Our play calling is what Texas fans said it would be. Need 8 yards and we have multiple targets running 5 yard routes. James hasn't been coached up at all and now he's taking the blame for a coordinator who couldn't make it work with Texas talent in the Big 12 where defense sucks. Let's call it what it is, we have a horrible OC who is in over his head.

I was holding out opinion on GD, but you hit it on the head...Even with a confident JVB (Which it's GD's job to assure that), the play calling gives him no chance at success. We gotta start somewhere to build momentum, yet we get plays called that can't utilize a players talents until late in the game and it doesn't matter. The whole game plan on this game appeared horrendous, from the use of Wiesman, the play calling, all the way to alienating any potential recruits and non-playing underclassmen. It was said somewhere else, but if JVB is so much better than any of 3 or 4 competent backups that we have, then why risk injury to him in a blowout, while at the same time giving some reward to 1 or 2 of our backups, and some valuable game experience? Is KF afraid of creating a controversy, or of being wrong? (makes ya wonder)

PRIDE is such a deadly sin!

It was said that Davis is great at adapting his system to the players he has.

Well in 2012, this is simply not true.

My point was also PSU has T10 talent, and last night was a T10 team. This talent was around when JoPa was there. If I was a PSU fan, I'd be ******.

You think PSU has top 10 talent? Are you ******* high? They lost to Virginia and Ohio. 1/4 their team transferred out. They don't have top 40 talent. Just a great coach

Yes, they have T10 talent. It apparently has not been used very well up until now. Look at teh size of their receivers, their hands, and their speed.

Rob Brooks I guess agrees with me. No one else so far though.

I would agree that the previous, obsolete staff didn't utilize their talent very well. That's one reason Kirk had success against them.

A coach is rarely responsible for this type of performance decrease. Unfortunately it's too early to know. We won't know for at least two more seasons.

Speaking of coaching, how badly did JoPa squander talent? These guys were bigger, more talented and faster. By a significant margin. Their team is decimated, and look at their 4 and 5 star recruits last night. They are playing at the level of a top 10 to 15 team right now.

Sorry golfer but what you say keeps getting dumber as the season goes on.

Latest posts