Anyone think that a bad football season might have a positive impact for basketball

zhawk21

Hear me out. I believe that a average or lousy football season might benefit the basketball team. I believe that students who were expecting a fun time at football games might feel unsatisfied with the poor play (especially on offense which brings fans to the seats) by the football team and go out and buy basketball tickets. With more students in the Hawks Nest, Carver is once again going to be rocking and a place feared by big ten opponents.

I know that some fans don't want to hear it, but Iowa is going to be a basketball school THIS year.

Re: Anyone think that a bad football season might have a positive impact for basketba

Could but Fran and co. made basketball very fun last year.

Re: Anyone think that a bad football season might have a positive impact for basketba

I don't think one really impacts the other. There is excitement going into the b-ball season and that would be the case regardless of what the football team does.

Well the ****** is going to be flipped in BBall this year, the B1G will be very tough. With schedule we play to start the conference season the excitement might end pretty quickly.

I heard you out. My initial assessment from your title was right...

Your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad. No.

I could see an extra bump in enthusiasm for the START of the season if the football team is bad. Whenever the football team is having a good year the start of the bball season is the second story. Once Jan. rolls in I don't think it will matter much.

I know I'm looking forward to bb more than ever. But that is because of what FM is building. If TL were still here.............{shudders at the thought}

Iowa is in on a lot of quality basketball recruits, and it doesn't help when the football team is poor. The fan enthusiasm would probably compensate for it if it remains high, but fan support will dwindle pretty fast if Iowa bombs. I think the Norm Parker defenses were the charm of past ferentz teams. Fran might loose some basketball recruits if the football team is poor, but he goes after so many quality guys that he will find his players.

I don't think one really impacts the other. There is excitement going into the b-ball season and that would be the case regardless of what the football team does.
This is the correct answer.

Two different activities with two different game day experiences. I think both can thrive independent of each other but really. even if your statement was true why would you want it to be. Football and basketball shouldn't be fighting each other for the fans attention.

Iowa is in on a lot of quality basketball recruits, and it doesn't help when the football team is poor. The fan enthusiasm would probably compensate for it if it remains high, but fan support will dwindle pretty fast if Iowa bombs. I think the Norm Parker defenses were the charm of past ferentz teams. Fran might loose some basketball recruits if the football team is poor,

This is incorrect.

If anything it may put more pressure on hoops...and if they don't live up to some expectations things probly get uglier early

Growing up, I've always felt that basketball got positive momentum from an exciting football season.....it was like fan frenzy feeding on itself as the year moves along.

I'm telling you, there wasn't a better time to be a fan of Iowa athletics than between 1980 and about 1992. In that time we went to three Rose Bowls, won God knows how many wrestling titles, the men's bball team went to numerous NCAA tourneys, a Final Four, an Elite Eight, and a couple Sweet 16's, the womens' bball team went to a Final Four and set a women's basketball attendance record against OSU. You had coaches like Hayden Fry, Lute Olson, Mr. Davis, Dan Gable, C. Vivian Stringer and Bump Elliot as AD.

During that time, everything fed off itself. There was nothing like it at the time.

I will not be attending bball games unless we get some more free ones...spend too much on football tickets as it is. Maybe when the BBall team returns to the NCAA I'll start going religiously again. right now I am taking a cautiously optimistic approach to Fran and Co

Iowa is in on a lot of quality basketball recruits, and it doesn't help when the football team is poor. The fan enthusiasm would probably compensate for it if it remains high, but fan support will dwindle pretty fast if Iowa bombs. I think the Norm Parker defenses were the charm of past ferentz teams. Fran might loose some basketball recruits if the football team is poor, but he goes after so many quality guys that he will find his players.

LOL is this serious? Basketball recruits don't give a **** about how good the football team is. Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse, Uconn, Indiana, UCLA and Kansas somehow manage to pull great recruiting despite their poor football programs.

If anything it may put more pressure on hoops...and if they don't live up to some expectations things probly get uglier early

My thoughts exactly. We start out with a cupcake non-con, then a horribly brutal conference schedule. There is a good chance we go into February 1-6 in the BoneG. With the way that some people have been building this team up in their heads (not unlike what they did to the FB team), a failure to reach those expectations could lead to some serious butt hurt.

Iowa might not be the best team in the country this year, but they should be able to hold their own. I don't really think they are that far behind indiana, if they are really behind them, and everyone is picking indiana as one of the best teams. There is a lot of hype in sports, but indiana does have a great center, although illinois had a great center last year and bombed.

Iowa might not be the best team in the country this year, but they should be able to hold their own. I don't really think they are that far behind indiana, if they are really behind them, and everyone is picking indiana as one of the best teams. There is a lot of hype in sports, but indiana does have a great center, although illinois had a great center last year and bombed.

Your train of thought looks like it went off the rails a bit there, but Iowa is very far behind Indiana. Indiana is top 5 in the country, and Iowa isn't top 5 in the conference. We will be improved quite a bit, but our conference record could be worse this season than it was last season.

Your train of thought looks like it went off the rails a bit there, but Iowa is very far behind Indiana. Indiana is top 5 in the country, and Iowa isn't top 5 in the conference. We will be improved quite a bit, but our conference record could be worse this season than it was last season.

If we are so far behind Indiana how did we beat them?

From your earlier comments I do not think fans are not over hyping this team. I think the majority of fans are being quite realistic about this team. You are confusing fans excitement for a product with over expecting. Most comments i have seen is that this will be a fun team to watch, they do have an far outside shot at making the NCAA, and it will be interesting to see how they improve through the season. Closely watching Frans last two years his teams have improved as the years moved on.

Last year the Hawks beat a few teams that ended up dancing at the end of the year. We lost a solid player, but gained a lot of talent, and from football we know talent matters. I do not have unrealistic expectations and from what I have read and heard many fans don't ether.

Last edited by a moderator:

Growing up, I've always felt that basketball got positive momentum from an exciting football season.....it was like fan frenzy feeding on itself as the year moves along.

I'm telling you, there wasn't a better time to be a fan of Iowa athletics than between 1980 and about 1992. In that time we went to three Rose Bowls, won God knows how many wrestling titles, the men's bball team went to numerous NCAA tourneys, a Final Four, an Elite Eight, and a couple Sweet 16's, the womens' bball team went to a Final Four and set a women's basketball attendance record against OSU. You had coaches like Hayden Fry, Lute Olson, Mr. Davis, Dan Gable, C. Vivian Stringer and Bump Elliot as AD.

During that time, everything fed off itself. There was nothing like it at the time.

Bump (Elliott)

Synergies between the sports. Bad football does not help basketball and vice versa.