Anyone Else Watching Illinois Get Destroyed?

Fryowa

Administrator
Minnesota’s obviously good, but if we get beat by that dumpster fire Illinois team next Thursday I’m officially on the doubting “McCafferey has what it takes” committee.

And that’s saying something because I’m a huge, unapologetic Fran fan.

I hate what’s going on here.

Just heard Mac on his call-in show say he wants to push the ball against Ohio State in transition. Ok, who is going to do that. Cook looked like the strongest ballhandler last night. Everyone else had their pockets picked all night.

You sound like cytwins last year.

It's really is amazing what taking a dynamic and great shooter off of a team can do perception wise. Jok wasn't really "athletic" and besides Jordan last season, the outlook was not about how un-athletic and slow Iowa was. The defense was questioned, but not the athletic ability of our team. It wasn't a topic at all during the off season. I mean, no one is gonna mistake Brady Ellingson for an athlete, but this was not a talking point. Take Jok off and it looks like Iowa is running around in cement shoes. I still feel that would be the case if Iowa had a straw to stir the drink and they don't. 100% on the man in charge.

It's really is amazing what taking a dynamic and great shooter off of a team can do perception wise. Jok wasn't really "athletic" and besides Jordan last season, the outlook was not about how un-athletic and slow Iowa was. The defense was questioned, but not the athletic ability of our team. It wasn't a topic at all during the off season. I mean, no one is gonna mistake Brady Ellingson for an athlete, but this was not a talking point. Take Jok off and it looks like Iowa is running around in cement shoes. I still feel that would be the case if Iowa had a straw to stir the drink and they don't. 100% on the man in charge.

Jok not athletic... He did have moves to the hoop.

Jok not athletic... He did have moves to the hoop.
that took him 3 years to develop consistently. Jok was an all conference guard by the time he left Iowa and he did become a player with moves to the hoop, but overall, that's not how he did his damage. I am just saying, this same group of guys weren't the worlds worst players a year ago, that happened over night. So what changed? We added 2 6'11" guys and lost Jok and little used Christian Williams...everything else is the same.

It also doesn't help having two white 7' freshmen added to the team. I still think both could be really good tho. When they are seniors, they might be one of the best 4/5 combos in the conference. Hopefully Wiescamp will be one of the best 2s.

That's the main reason I'm not too down of Fran now. This year and last is because of his recruiting classes 3 and 4 years ago. I'm not interested in hanging a guy for something he did 3 years ago when he's improved so much in that area since then. I would be more concerned (even if we were having a good year this year) if we had pretty good juniors and seniors and crappy freshmen and sophomores, with no one coming the next two years. The one thing that is truly killing this team has been fixed.

It also doesn't help having two white 7' freshmen added to the team. I still think both could be really good tho. When they are seniors, they might be one of the best 4/5 combos in the conference. Hopefully Wiescamp will be one of the best 2s.

That's the main reason I'm not too down of Fran now. This year and last is because of his recruiting classes 3 and 4 years ago. I'm not interested in hanging a guy for something he did 3 years ago when he's improved so much in that area since then. I would be more concerned (even if we were having a good year this year) if we had pretty good juniors and seniors and crappy freshmen and sophomores, with no one coming the next two years. The one thing that is truly killing this team has been fixed.

I agree with you 100%. But as much as it pains me, 5656 is right about our senior and junior classes being awful and that being the direct contributor to our issues now. He told me that and I argued til I was blue in the face because I expected more development and instead, besides Baer - no one in either class is really contributing. The saving graces as you say is that our Sophomore and Freshman class look to be good, along with bringing in Joe W and Connor next year. I do expect some defections this off season though and I will be disappointed if there isn't an immediate plug brought in.

Latest posts