Anyone Else Watching Illinois Get Destroyed?

I agree with you 100%. But as much as it pains me, 5656 is right about our senior and junior classes being awful and that being the direct contributor to our issues now. He told me that and I argued til I was blue in the face because I expected more development and instead, besides Baer - no one in either class is really contributing. The saving graces as you say is that our Sophomore and Freshman class look to be good, along with bringing in Joe W and Connor next year. I do expect some defections this off season though and I will be disappointed if there isn't an immediate plug brought in.

I argued it wasn't terrible because Uhl and Ellingson were both going to be average (wrong), Wagner, and Williams were both going to be average (wrong), and Moss was going to be good (Probably wrong). My logic was 4 pretty good role players and one good player over two classes was too good to be labeled terrible. 5656 didn't prove us wrong, Uhl, Ellingson, Williams, Wagner, and Moss did.

Let's say those players all turned out like I hoped/thought they would, we would probably hear a lot about not being great because we needed a point guard, but we would probably still be a tournament team. Those 2 classes are by far the biggest factor on why we are bad this year. And like i said, those classes are too far in the past, and we have too much proof that recruiting is better now, to hang Fran for that now.

Let's say those players all turned out like I hoped/thought they would, we would probably hear a lot about not being great because we needed a point guard, but we would probably still be a tournament team. Those 2 classes are by far the biggest factor on why we are bad this year. And like i said, those classes are too far in the past, and we have too much proof that recruiting is better now, to hang Fran for that now.

I still hang him for it at least a little, he was in charge ....and since he had so much success in his first couple of classes, I expected more of the same. But I do see your point that when he brought them in we didn't have a whole lot of success to really sell at that point. If my timeline is right in my head. when Uhl committed in 2013, Iowa hadn't even made the NCAA since 2006. When Wagners class was signed, they only had a play in game. The recent recruiting success has been banked off the 3 straight tournament appearances. Or am I looking at that wrong? I am not making any excuses, but I am trying to look for some sort of silver lining and reason.

I agree with you 100%. But as much as it pains me, 5656 is right about our senior and junior classes being awful and that being the direct contributor to our issues now. He told me that and I argued til I was blue in the face because I expected more development and instead, besides Baer - no one in either class is really contributing. The saving graces as you say is that our Sophomore and Freshman class look to be good, along with bringing in Joe W and Connor next year. I do expect some defections this off season though and I will be disappointed if there isn't an immediate plug brought in.

How can you say that our junior and senior classes are awful? We have two seniors one is a walk-on (Rose) and the other was a good get compared to the talent we had at the time (Uhl). We have three juniors: one starter (Baer), one former starter and current contributor (Wagner) and one contributor (Ellingson). We have more sophomores on our roster (6) than we have juniors and seniors combined!

How can you say that our junior and senior classes are awful? We have two seniors one is a walk-on (Rose) and the other was a good get compared to the talent we had at the time (Uhl). We have three juniors: one starter (Baer), one former starter and current contributor (Wagner) and one contributor (Ellingson). We have more sophomores on our roster (6) than we have juniors and seniors combined!

The reason we have so few juniors and seniors is because a lot of them realized they were in over their head and left.

Awful was probably too strong of word.... but the fact that only 1 player out of 2 years of recruiting has panned out and he's really only a little above average is a problem. Especially considering that Fran has pretty much had 1 hit per class since he got here.... but I get your point. The classes are crazy unbalanced because Iowa wanted to win right away and Fran struck it rich (when you consider where the program was) when he landed Gesell and Woody's class, which was big in # too. While I wish we had another PG and for better roster management, IMO, you are seeing the effect of what it took to turn things around so quickly when he got here. Still his mess tho.

I still hang him for it at least a little, he was in charge ....and since he had so much success in his first couple of classes, I expected more of the same. But I do see your point that when he brought them in we didn't have a whole lot of success to really sell at that point. If my timeline is right in my head. when Uhl committed in 2013, Iowa hadn't even made the NCAA since 2006. When Wagners class was signed, they only had a play in game. The recent recruiting success has been banked off the 3 straight tournament appearances. Or am I looking at that wrong? I am not making any excuses, but I am trying to look for some sort of silver lining and reason.

How do you hang someone a little? Let them choke for awhile before you let them down? :)

If you believe we suck because of poor recruiting 3 and 4 years ago, then problem solved because recruiting is better now. I've got no problems with the talent in the sophomore class, the freshman class, or next years class. The Big question is how will he fill Patrick's class. If he gets a Cook like talent from out of state and seals the deal on a good instate player (one has to be a point guard), then the program will be in really good shape for a long time. If he doesn't get good players with those 2 scholarships, with this much time to look for them, I'm going to question whether his recruiting success is due to good instate talent lately, and one guy (Cook) liking Iowa.

yeah, like I hang myself a little every time I watch this team. Ok, I've been pretty down, but I do feel better about things after I talked it through here with you guys. It really hinged on one of those guys in the Jr and Sr classes becoming a hit much like Marble, White, Uthoff or Jok. I expected that to be Moss...

Minnesota’s obviously good, but if we get beat by that dumpster fire Illinois team next Thursday I’m officially on the doubting “McCafferey has what it takes” committee.

And that’s saying something because I’m a huge, unapologetic Fran fan.

I hate what’s going on here.

I don’t remember you being one of those guy who gave me hell for questioning Fran’s coaching abilities about a year or so ago. I appreciate that as some of the younger generation need to be taught to be respectful of other people’s opinions.

Also I take no satisfaction of any kind with the struggles we have had. I am not one of those “I told you so” type of people. I am more likely to humbly admit when I am wrong. I was just starting to think this was going to be one of those times when we man handled everyone in Europe. Would rather eat crow then see our team struggle like this. The same is true with Kirk as I would be thrilled to see KF make it to the final four next season and admit that I was clearly wrong. :oops:

Last edited:

Latest posts