Anyone else think ARob loses PT next year

I love the way he runs and his patience, but I don't see him holding off Coker next year. I see him as a 3rd down back next year.

Does anyone think that he is able to hold off Coker to not just be the number one but to be the featured back next year?

ARob needs to worry about his health, more than holding off Coker. IMO I don't think ARob sees the field as a feature back ever again, with a good probability that he is finished. Way too much evidence on head injuries to support him not taking the field again. That being said, he is one hit away from future problems later in life...

If he does take the field, I hope it is in a limited role, with a few carries a game. He would be a great back to have in any role, but I think the coaches definitely need to play more backs. ARob or no ARob...

A-Rob had a few fumbles that were fortunately recovered by us. Coker's fumble against MN is just more glaring because it happened at the worst possible time and the fact it happened in the open field.

Robinson does play with a lot of heart and I'll give him credit for filling in nicely. However, I think next year will be Coker's time. He wears down a defense and much like Shonn Greene they will get tired of tackling him, especially if he's getting to the 2nd/3rd level with a more experienced offensive line.

I think we may see Rogers tote the rock a little bit next year as well. Some of the quick hitters to Morse worked real well this year.

Yeah, Coker's been playing pretty well. That fumble was just unfortunate. He did the correct thing by moving the ball to the arm away from the defender (closest to the sidelines), but it was just stripped away. And considering he was well into the secondary at the time, he was surrounded by Gophers.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy, stay clean, stay smart, and learn the playbook. He has a lot of potential.

Rogers may come back to RB with all the losses at the position, but I feel the coaches want him at FB. Perhaps they'll have him like an RB/FB hybrid or something?

So, you guys have a kid, who as a soph, would have easily been a 1,000 yd + rusher, sans injury, behind Coker, who I think has great potential, but has only played in limited duty? Also, Arob looked pretty good last year, too. And, he can block. And, he can catch the ball. I think he and Coker will be great assets to next year's team. As to our new best in the world incoming freshman running back, he hasn't even signed a piece of paper yet. Wait until ol' tatooed ankle gets after him now that he has "committed" to Iowa!

Seriously, Robinson is a pretty darn good running back. I hope he and Coker push each other and share time next year.

Considering that Ferentz flat out said in the presser that Adam is academically eligible, I think it's probably pretty safe to assume that he was doing alright in class. But that's just a logical train of thought, what relevance would that have?

Kirk also said on the suspension (or something to this effect): he just hasn't cleaned some things up, going back to the OSU game.

Now we can either assume that that means A-Rob's current suspension is because of academics, or we can assume that Kirk was lying a month ago. Which sounds more likely to you?

It sounds to me like you are making a lot of assumptions - like assuming what he hasn't cleaned up are his grades. Coaches do not suspend players from big bowl games for small things. If Robinson is suspended from all team acitivities during a bowl game then he is officially in the doghouse over something. We don't really know what it is. It could be grades, it could be something else.

And yes, coaches lie to the media all the time.

All I can say to this thread is wow. We have seen limited action from Coker. We have basically seen two full seasons from Arob. I would take Arob in a hearbeat. I believe his first concussion has as much to do with the offenses problems as anything else this season. I think he was the glue that held the offense together. His ability to read a blitz, execute as a blocker and still become available as a receiver all on the same play is uncanny. He will only improve his vision and can still improve physically. His physical skill set is great for this style of offense and although he doesn't have blazing speed he has enough to make plays in this offense. He also is the best receiver out of the backfield since Albert Young.

I think people are taking this the wrong way. I don't think ARob is a bad running back, to the contrary he was a very good player early in the year and was contending for POY in the conference early on. However, his skill set doesn't fit best with our personnel. I think with the size of OL we have, it makes the most sense to pound the ball with a big running back. ARob bounces off contact well, but I want somebody who has the size to run over LBs and safeties downfield and make them afraid of tackling the next time around.

Also, people act like it's blasphemy to suggest that an underclassman is better than the older guy in front of him. Yes, ARob has been very productive, but he's pretty physically limited in terms of his ceiling. People also forget Coker missed almost all of the preseason with an injury and was supposed to keep his redshirt until Jewel went down. I think with an entire preseason as the #1 back he'll look a lot better and more confident.

It's not like we're saying to pull ARob's scholarship and not let him back into the building, but we're comparing him to 2 consecutive years of #1 recruited RBs. Coker was our top target at RB last year and Coe was this year. To sit them both behind a limited back because of his seniority is short-sighted at best.

I don't care what year they are- I want the best player in. IMO that is still Robinson. Coker has a very nice ypc average but his long was 22 yards this season. Robinson has more long play potential, is a proven receiver and a proven blocker. Unless Coker shows more in the pass phase in the bowl Robinson should be on the 1 line until he is gone. We run a pro style offense. There should be plenty of carries for two backs and most likely three.

It sounds to me like you are making a lot of assumptions - like assuming what he hasn't cleaned up are his grades. Coaches do not suspend players from big bowl games for small things. If Robinson is suspended from all team acitivities during a bowl game then he is officially in the doghouse over something. We don't really know what it is. It could be grades, it could be something else.

And yes, coaches lie to the media all the time.

We are left to assume that it's academic-oriented. Of course, we can choose to believe that it's something else, and spread that around (as if we haven't had enough of that lately).

I'm going to assume that it's because of academics, because that's what we were told it was when he was benched against Ohio State, and that Ferentz said this is a continuation of that.

I don't consider Robinson to be a "doghouse resident" yet. On a short-term lease, perhaps. But this is FAR from DJK-level residency.

All I can say to this thread is wow. We have seen limited action from Coker. We have basically seen two full seasons from Arob. I would take Arob in a hearbeat. I believe his first concussion has as much to do with the offenses problems as anything else this season. I think he was the glue that held the offense together. His ability to read a blitz, execute as a blocker and still become available as a receiver all on the same play is uncanny. He will only improve his vision and can still improve physically. His physical skill set is great for this style of offense and although he doesn't have blazing speed he has enough to make plays in this offense. He also is the best receiver out of the backfield since Albert Young.

This.

If he is back next year at minimum he will be splitting time with Coker if he is not the starter.

I don't care what year they are- I want the best player in. IMO that is still Robinson. Coker has a very nice ypc average but his long was 22 yards this season. Robinson has more long play potential, is a proven receiver and a proven blocker. Unless Coker shows more in the pass phase in the bowl Robinson should be on the 1 line until he is gone. We run a pro style offense. There should be plenty of carries for two backs and most likely three.

You kinda contradicted yourself here. You say that you want the best player in, and then you conclude by saying that Robinson should be on the #1 line unless Coker shows more in the pass game. What if Coker shows more in the run game? Again, he was clearly the better back during the OSU game. You'd keep Robinson in, even if Coker is a better runner, because ARob is a better pass catcher? Why not move Robinson to the slot so we can take advantage of the part of his game that's better than Coker's?

Don't know if you've seen the footage of Coe's senior highlights but he's a true go up and get it type receiver. Not sure what his vertical is but he made several diving catches in traffic. I'll put it like this: we can argue over whether Barry Sanders was a better RB than Jim Brown. I don't think anybody will get to a final conclusion on which one is a definitively better back. However, they have significantly different strengths. Sanders could bounce off contact, outrun everybody, and juke several tacklers on one carry. Jim Brown would run people over and drag helpless defenders into the end zone with him. Given our personnel and the kind of plays we run, I think Jim Brown is a better suited back for us than Barry Sanders.

I have a feeling AROB won't be back

If he is I think he plays quite a bit but I don't think he will be back. I hope I am wrong

I still can't believe people think he's not in the doghouse. When has Ferentz ever suspended a player without cause?

It certainly seems to be more than missing a couple of classes. The fact that he has to be accepted back on the team even if he remains eligible after finals is indicative of more than a fear that he might not make grades. The way it was done coupled with the fact that he was still after the suspension hanging out with DJK in the bars does not exactly make one think he is going out of his way to get back in the good graces of the staff. Even if he is accepted back he has some work to do to get back to his first team status.

ARob is the best blocker and the best at catching passes out of the backfield. Its not even close right now. And Ferentz is known for being loyal to the older players.

ARob is the starter, but you will see lots of Coe and or Johnson

It certainly seems to be more than missing a couple of classes. The fact that he has to be accepted back on the team even if he remains eligible after finals is indicative of more than a fear that he might not make grades. The way it was done coupled with the fact that he was still after the suspension hanging out with DJK in the bars does not exactly make one think he is going out of his way to get back in the good graces of the staff. Even if he is accepted back he has some work to do to get back to his first team status.

You, my friend, are the winner!

I think the bigger issue for ARob will be concussion issues. Sorry, but two concussions has to be a concern. Health takes precedence over everything< even class attendance and grades.

I hope they are all back because competition makes them better and having a trusted back up makes sure we have a fresh back in there. I'm convinced Coe will not redshirt and hope we sign at least one more back. I think we need to sign two more for a total of three in this class. The we can redshirt a back.

We are left to assume that it's academic-oriented. Of course, we can choose to believe that it's something else, and spread that around (as if we haven't had enough of that lately).

I'm going to assume that it's because of academics, because that's what we were told it was when he was benched against Ohio State, and that Ferentz said this is a continuation of that.

I don't consider Robinson to be a "doghouse resident" yet. On a short-term lease, perhaps. But this is FAR from DJK-level residency.

Then you are as bad as anyone else who is making assumptions and spreading it around. No, we don't know it is because of academics. In fact we do know he is academically eligible. What we do know is that he is suspended from all team activities for the bowl game and until the end of the 2010 season. That is no small thing and is, by itself, the very definintion of being in the dog house.

And no one ever claimed he was at the same level as DJK's residency in the dog house. But he is most certainly there now.

Latest posts