Anyone else nervous about an 05 letdown?

BSpringsteen

Remember the NY Times picked us to win the NC and then bam, we wound up playing the Alamo Bowl?

Anyone else nervous about a massive let down this year? Not because of any jinx, but just because history has proven that we can't handle success very well.

Did the coaching staff learn anything in those years to ensure a way to avoid that trap?

It was Outback Bowl.

And no, I am not. that year was an all new DL...two frosh and two soph...this year is best DL in the nation.

No. This team is as mentally tough as any that has ever played at Iowa, and we couldn't have a better, more stable team leader than Stanzi. That doesn't mean they can't lose, I just don't see it happening due to any mental collapse or cracking under the pressure of being "the hunted." Drew Tate was a great QB, but emotionally, he was a ticking time bomb. Stanzi is the opposite. He's unflappable. That rare ability to not get flapped spreads to the rest of the team too - they feed on it.

No, I'm not worried about that.

No. This team is as mentally tough as any that has ever played at Iowa, and we couldn't have a better, more stable team leader than Stanzi. That doesn't mean they can't lose, I just don't see it happening due to any mental collapse or cracking under the pressure of being "the hunted." Drew Tate was a great QB, but emotionally, he was a ticking time bomb. Stanzi is the opposite. He's unflappable. That rare ability to not get flapped spreads to the rest of the team too - they feed on it.

No, I'm not worried about that.

Drew Tate also played with some players that had kool aid pumping through their veins. Put a fully healthy Tate with this group of WR's and this D and its a different story.

and even if they don't have a 'letdown' they could be 8-4 or 9-3. They have won most every close game, save two, since PSU in late 2008...and most of their games the last two years have been close.

Anyone who allows themselves to get nervous over what anyone in the media guesses or suggests is being a fool.
Those of us who have followed the Hawks through thick and thin know that this team is talented and well coached. Period.
No games have yet been played and for that matter, not even one snap of spring practice has taken place and some people want to put Iowa in the NC title game?
Im sure there is some talking head out there who would put Iowa at the bottom of the B10!
So what.
I will save the nerves for sometime this fall when we are down by 6 with just over a minute to play, needing a long drive to win it.
Character is built by the players on the field during practice and game situations.
Its all talk just until then.
Why get nervous and worked up over something we have absolutely zero control over ?
Time is better spent assuming responsibility for what we do control.
Lets just relax Hawk "fans" and see what happens....

The good thing is KF has proven we can overcome a lot of injuries. Even if Stanzi were to get hurt now, at least we have JVB with a few games under his belt.

I would say the biggest concern is the Big 10 is greatly improved and in my opinion as tough as any conference top to bottom. Outside of Eastern Ill and Ball St., every game is losable.

However, my feeling is the offense will be greatly improved and Iowa won't be in nearly as many close games.

Being of the opinion that our o-line performed well under expectations this year, I'm a little concerned about replacing 3 or 4 of them. That being said, I'm not losing any sleep over it though.

Being of the opinion that our o-line performed well under expectations this year, I'm a little concerned about replacing 3 or 4 of them. That being said, I'm not losing any sleep over it though.

I have to agree and think that how the OL comes along will be the biggest factor in what kind of season we have next year.

and even if they don't have a 'letdown' they could be 8-4 or 9-3. They have won most every close game, save two, since PSU in late 2008...and most of their games the last two years have been close.

I agree,we got lucky on more than one occassion..It takes a lot of luck to win the NC...

This group of soon to be seniors are on a mission and will make sure this entire team does the work to be ready. 2010 will be another special season.

They way things are getting built up anything short of a big 10 title will be a letdown for many people. The big 10 is going to be tough next year and running the table for any team is going to be difficult. Throw the OL situation on top of things and things get even more dicey. But its nice to dream in January.

I agree we have not done well with high expectaions but 05 we had a rebuilt def line and that is what great Hawk teams are built on. This season the Hawks will have a great Def line back and will have a great defense next season and that is what makes great Iowa teams.
I also feel KF has learned from past just like he improved on bowl prep since tough first Orange bowl I think he will improve on leading team ranked in Preseason top 10. I see Hawks in another BCS game and maybe more but lets focus on EIU and lets GO HAWKS

O-line doesn't concern me as much for the simple reason that most of our starters this year were out at one time or another, and KF and crew were shifting players around a ton before the bowl game this year, prepping them for next year.

Iowa this year reminds me of last years Alabama team. Next year we get a huge boost in the running game on offense to take some pressure off of Stanzi.

On defense we'll have a great secondary and a great OL sandwiched around unkown (for the most part) linebackers. Tarpinian looked good in his reps this season, as did Hunter. I think we'll be OK there.

IMO worst finish possible is 9-3 (with injuries), and best is 12-0 (with luck). My actual prediction is 11-1 with a possible loss to OSU.

Latest posts