Anyone else getting a little tired of Fran's T's?

I like it. The Hawks are getting reamed by the refs,with that charge on McCabe very typical. Six technicals over 20 plus games is a tech every 4 games....not every game.

I thought that it was effective last nite,as the refs were about 50/50 on the calls after that. Check Gene Keady's record on techs....

It was no turning point, as iowa built the lead back up to 9 after that...couple of turning points...the 5 offensive rebound possession that finally ended up with a 3 point shot when it was 21-10 was one...then the second half drought sealed our fate.
Fran has to stand up for his players when they never get a call,which is the case with McCabe.

I am not one who really noticies officiating that often. I figure most calls really even out. It seems like teams that force the action tend to get calls. Maybe the fact that Iowa if generally not the aggressor they don't get calls who knows. I thought the call that Fran go the tech on could have gone either way really.

Iowa is terrible at blocking out, even when they are in man to man. I saw a few shots that went in last night that May and Basabe's man just went right by them and would have easily gotten the rebound had the shot not went in.

Iowa does a lot of the little things poorly at times which hurts when you lack talent.

I hope he goes off Bobby Knight style and gets tossed some time. More or less because I want something fun to watch.

alford.jpg

78788258.jpg.21815.0_feature.jpg

Fran+McCaffery+NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+9TlajtPYNyDl.jpg

If there was any momentum shift, blame the call: it was a beautiful reverse seal that caught Penn St. late on a rotation where the defender was stationed directly under the basket and leaning. Horrible, homer call.

However, when Brommer stepped in perhaps a fraction late and Battle was called for a charge, I gave the credit to Fran's tech. In the big scheme of things Battle's foul could have possibly had a huge impact on the game.

The reality is that the 1st half was some of Iowa's best basketball of the year: they had crisp defensive rotations, an awareness of Battle at all times (including some fantastic switches and hedges), and patience offensively. You had to know we were in trouble to do all of those things (probably 15 out of 20 minutes of the first half) and still be losing at half.

I'm excited about the future of Iowa basketball. Things will turn for us not because of improved recruiting (although that would help), but with retention of players. If we keep the current roster in tact for next year, a foundation can start to be built for some moderate success (which will feel like a ton of success since the well has been so dry).

I have no problem with them at all. I think that the refs T'd him up that night a little to easy. I think it also shows that Fran is backing his players aggressive style of play.

You don't want a player to be worried to drive or Defend tightly because they are afraid to foul. This shows that coach is behind them.

The T did not change the game. It was poor shot selection and sloppy defense in the second half that lost that game.

I don't mind the Ts, I just wish Fran was Mic'd up so we could hear what he said to earn it.

When ever I see him get T'd I always thing of Bull Durham:

"I've never seen Crash so angry. And frankly, sports fans, he used a word that's a no-no with umpires."
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731898/
"Crash must've called the guy a c*cksucker".

I absolutely believe that Fran's T's are more or less planned. I had similar experiences; most of mine were the result of me not shutting up UNTIL I got one. I actually gained/lost respect for ref's who would/wouldn't T me up. If I deserved it, of course they should assess a technical. One thing to notice is that Fran won't (typically) get T'd up when we have the ball as that is a turnover and FT's. He'll wait until our opponent has the ball and then fire away. Maximum damage is 2 points. The point he's making to our players/the refs is more valuable than 1-2 points at this stage. Go Hawks!

I suspect Coach McCaffery was having issues with one particular ref in that game and was letting him know that he wasn't going to take the reaming in future games either.

I don't mind Fran's T's and actually think it buys him a bit of leniency for the rest of the game. Most refs are going to hesitate for a second before giving a coach a second T. Or at least what they did is going to have to be a degree worse than the first one.

I don't mind the Ts, I just wish Fran was Mic'd up so we could hear what he said to earn it.

When ever I see him get T'd I always thing of Bull Durham:

"I've never seen Crash so angry. And frankly, sports fans, he used a word that's a no-no with umpires."

"Crash must've called the guy a c*cksucker".

My Dad always tells me the story of his first and only T as a coach. He had just had enough with this one ref who was making bad calls all game long. He blew up and the guy came over and T'd him up and my Dad's response was "well, you had better give me another one cause I ain't finished yet."

"You got pigeon sh!t in your eyes?"

Norman Dale

Doesn't bother me any. Maybe he's just living up to the "get mad" slogan they used when he got hired. I think the players need to get a little more fired up as well.

Love it! Show some fire for God's sake! The Penn State T was after a TERRIBLE call. I have no issue with it whatsoever.

It's something that NO ONE talks about if we win......but clearly that's not the case. We would have LOVED to "Butler Way" if we had talent like Ohio St and were winning B10 titles.

It's all a matter of wins and losses.

Latest posts