Anybody remember 2002?

ATLHawkeye

Anybody remember who the one team we lost to in 2002 was? Yep... Iowa State. That was a pretty good year, wasn't it? I can't remember the boards at that time, but I'm sure they looked a lot like they do today.

That being said, the games aren't very much fun to watch this year. Hopefully we'll turn it around next week.

Chew on this for a second. Ball St was beat this weekend by FCS Indiana St who was 1-11 last year. UNI lost to Hawaii.

We are a LONG WAY from 2002

It might be different if...

We hadn't just barely beat a MAC and D2 school

ISU was actually a decent football team. This isn't a good ISU football team. They were without 3 of their top WR by the end of the game.

Let's not try to put lipstick on a pig.

This team is not good and it falls on one man's shoulders.

This team has a ton of talent that never touches the ball, rendering said talent as useful as me sitting on me arse watching (or not watching as the case may be.)

Some kind of dark pathological psychology of masochistic self defeat is going on with Kurt and Derp Gregvis. It's actually quite disturbing to witness.

2002 thru 3 games:

1: Iowa 57, Akron 21. 37 points in the first.quarter. 376 rushing yards.

2: Iowa 29, Miami(Ohio) 24. Picked off Ben Roethlisberger twice and had 100 yard rusher and 100 yard receiver. Miami never loses again that season.

3: Iowa State 36, Iowa 31; Iowa had a 17 point halftime lead. Brad Banks fumbled twice in Iowa territory, letting Seneca Wallace back in the game. He's just too good to give second chances to and leads an amazing comeback.

The Akron game had you feeling good. The Miami game was a bit of a head scratcher at the time. The Iowa State game was brutally depressing. Much like yesterday's game.

But UNI and Ball State don't feel like Akron and Miami. I never felt like a winning team lost. That's how I feel about those games.

Iowa State in 2002 was ranked as high as #13 that year.

Yeah we lost that year to ISU and had our best year under Ferentz.... however probably isn't really anything similar in reality.

Who's drunk? I'm certainly not... Just pointing out that we lose to Iowa State, even in years when we have a good team. I hate the way this season is looking so far. If it's bad for me to hope we turn it around next game, sorry to rain on your parade.

Chew on this for a second. Ball St was beat this weekend by FCS Indiana St who was 1-11 last year. UNI lost to Hawaii.

We are a LONG WAY from 2002

But, but, but just last week you assured me that the drastic diminution in point production against Ball State was due to the fact that Ball State is now a powerhouse MAC program and had nothing to do with the coaching changes.

Also, those Ball State teams were some of the worst in the MAC at that time. Did you bother to look up records to compare them between then and now? This team won the MAC last year which includes a win over NIU who we lost to. Not saying this is the best team in the MAC this year but comparing Ball St teams 6-8 years a part is silly.

http://hawkeyenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66112

Anybody remember who the one team we lost to in 2002 was? Yep... Iowa State. That was a pretty good year, wasn't it? I can't remember the boards at that time, but I'm sure they looked a lot like they do today.

That being said, the games aren't very much fun to watch this year. Hopefully we'll turn it around next week.

2002 reincarnated?? hahahaha.. Dude this team couldn't sniff the 2002 teams jock! 2002 team with Norm and KOK would beat this team by 60!!

The talent level in 2002 was 100 times better then what Iowa has right now. There was a Heisman candidate at QB and the guy we have now shouldn't even be starting.

2002 was a long time ago and Ferentz is cashing checks based off that season but the program is getting worse.

'02 was darn near just another year for Kirk. He almost had the trifecta of classic ways for Kirk to lose games.

He lost to a team we were better than.

He tried to lose a game with horrible clock management. A guy from Purdue stone handsed a pass that we intercepted otherwise they kick a field goal for the win. Kirk called a quick timeout after a 1st and goal and left time on the clock for Purdue.

He tried to lose a game where we dominated by shutting down early and trying to kill the clock. We were up 22 on Penn State late so Kirk did his famous "take his foot off the gas" move and we ended up in overtime. As a bonus Kirk through in a bone headed coaching decision by winning the coin toss and choosing side of field instead of taking the ball second, giving Penn State a huge advantage.

12 years later and nothing has changed...except the talent on the field to bail him out.

'02 was darn near just another year for Kirk. He almost had the trifecta of classic ways for Kirk to lose games.

He lost to a team we were better than.

He tried to lose a game with horrible clock management. A guy from Purdue stone handsed a pass that we intercepted otherwise they kick a field goal for the win. Kirk called a quick timeout after a 1st and goal and left time on the clock for Purdue.

He tried to lose a game where we dominated by shutting down early and trying to kill the clock. We were up 22 on Penn State late so Kirk did his famous "take his foot off the gas" move and we ended up in overtime. As a bonus Kirk through in a bone headed coaching decision by winning the coin toss and choosing side of field instead of taking the ball second, giving Penn State a huge advantage.

12 years later and nothing has changed...except the talent on the field to bail him out.

Good Post!! Saves me the hassle of having to do it.

Ha I could do '03 '04 and '09 too. Every team needs a little luck to have a great season but we need luck just to counter the head coaching blunders.

If you think 2002 and 2014 are comparable, simply look at the data below.
2014's going to match that offense? Miami had Roethlisberger, etc.
If you still think that, wow!

2002-Iowa (Big Ten)​
8/31vs.Akron (4-8)W5721
9/7@Miami (Ohio) (7-5)W2924
9/14vs.Iowa State (7-7)L3136
9/21vs.Utah State (4-7)W487
9/28@*Penn State (9-4)W4235
10/5vs.*Purdue (7-6)W3128
10/12vs.*Michigan State (4-8)W4416
10/19@*Indiana (3-9)W248
10/26@*Michigan (10-3)W349
11/2vs.*Wisconsin (8-6)W203