Anybody listen to Dolph today?

Ron Gonder gets my vote. Maybe he has a kid in broadcasting? Zabel had his moments but his homerism was more than I could stomach most days.

That was one of the best parts of listening to Jim Zabel. Was that he really loved the Hawkeyes and it showed. I loved how he could find the positives in just about any situation. I got to meet him a few times while he was covering games. I was so thrilled, and he influences me to this day. 20 years later I am still upset that they did not let him stay on until he wanted to retire has play by play guy.

I have come to appreciate Gary, but it's not the same. He does a good job in his own way. I would never say that he does a bad job, that is for sure.

The announcers have had some tough calls the past few years. Even in the good years there have been awful games such as the Rose. Not to mention Lick.

Seriously try and listen to opponent broadcasts.

IL has the best color guys. I think BH is pretty darn good. Ed is one of the better too.

Only Dolph compaint is hearing frustration in hi voice. I think he adds to the negativity.

I dont ever want to hear him talk about the tired Iowa defense in the 4th quarter.

I've said this before, I can't listen to him because he has a lisp. Another thing I can't stand (And I'm sure the UofI enforces him) but his painting positives after terrible performances.

I've said this before, I can't listen to him because he has a lisp. Another thing I can't stand (And I'm sure the UofI enforces him) but his painting positives after terrible performances.
Regent his boss.Gold you know.Still like him and enjoy his comments.Play calling well.....

My vote goes to Chris Hassel. I think he's who is getting the job eventually. Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. Dolph can be an ambassador for the program in some other way. I'm just sick of how he is WRONG about most of the things he says in regards to the action. His job is to paint the picture out there of what's going on for those that can't see it. Needless to say he doesn't do that.

A good friend of mine would be an excellent pick for a replacement for Dolph. I can't say who it is but I used to work with him for several years. Plus he has a face for radio. He certainly has the voice and absolutely loves Hawkeye basketball.

More along the lines of Ron Santo.

Lol, my dad would get so mad at Ron. Can’t tell you how many times Ron came up to bat with bases loaded or a guy on third base with only one out and he would hit into a double play to end the inning or the game. I learned some colorful language on such events. Lol

Yeah Dolph is a loyal Hawk but he's not a good play by play guy, sometimes says things like "canzeri bursts through a big hole! (Pause) 1 yard gain for the Hawks" or in basketball you're sitting there trying to figure out the score because he only states it about every 5 or 10 minutes.
Yeah, all those "big hole(s)" seem to "close(d) up in a hurry"

My vote goes to Chris Hassel. I think he's who is getting the job eventually. Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. Dolph can be an ambassador for the program in some other way. I'm just sick of how he is WRONG about most of the things he says in regards to the action. His job is to paint the picture out there of what's going on for those that can't see it. Needless to say he doesn't do that.
WINNER!
Keep Gary on as "The Host" of the broadcast team for pre-game/post-game

Latest posts