Anybody listen to Dolph today?

Seth53

I really think the game is too fast for him.

He made mistake after mistake (wrong calls, wrong players, etc), then kept correcting himself.

He even goofed by saying Okie state was runner up in wrestling rather than Ohio State, then said "Oh, well, OSU could mean two different teams."

Wow.

I finally switched over to the Sirius broadcast.

Football is too fast for Dolph, I can't imagine what its like listening to him call a basketball game. He's a loyal Hawkeye, nobody can argue that. But as a radio play by play guy, regardless of the sport, he's in way over his head.

Agree with these comments. I always turn the tv sound off and listen to Dolph and Bobby/Ed because the network guys just don't have enough local knowledge or "flavor". But Dolph's time has come and gone. There will be an exciting play and he will have to take the time to explain it (as if he is trying to replay it in his mind) before he will let the listener know if it was a basket or a pass completion, etc.
Time for new blood.

Yeah Dolph is a loyal Hawk but he's not a good play by play guy, sometimes says things like "canzeri bursts through a big hole! (Pause) 1 yard gain for the Hawks" or in basketball you're sitting there trying to figure out the score because he only states it about every 5 or 10 minutes.

Agree with these comments. I always turn the tv sound off and listen to Dolph and Bobby/Ed because the network guys just don't have enough local knowledge or "flavor". But Dolph's time has come and gone. There will be an exciting play and he will have to take the time to explain it (as if he is trying to replay it in his mind) before he will let the listener know if it was a basket or a pass completion, etc.
Time for new blood.

I've been advocating for JDMiller and Pam Ward for years.

I really think the game is too fast for him.

He made mistake after mistake (wrong calls, wrong players, etc), then kept correcting himself.

He even goofed by saying Okie state was runner up in wrestling rather than Ohio State, then said "Oh, well, OSU could mean two different teams."

Wow.

I finally switched over to the Sirius broadcast.

He's our Harry Carey and we wouldn't trade him for anyone.

Football is too fast for Dolph, I can't imagine what its like listening to him call a basketball game. He's a loyal Hawkeye, nobody can argue that. But as a radio play by play guy, regardless of the sport, he's in way over his head.

Maybe he could do play by play for the golf team. Imagine listener's frustration tho after he goes on and on for 5 minutes how great a putt it was only to finally mention it lipped out.

There are two games going on - the one that is occurring and the one that Dolph is calling. But he loves the Hawks, and that trumps (small t) all.

He's our Harry Carey and we wouldn't trade him for anyone.

It is really time to find a 40 year old plus or minus a few years who can bring in a nice voice and some passion.

Dolph has really been tough to listen to this bball season and not so good at football for a few years.

I put up with him to listen to Ed and Bobby

Dolph is an okay football announcer because it can lend itself to a slower pace, but basketball wise it's like he's translating a foreign language. I do like Bobby Hansen and Eddie p is definitely our Ron santo, only way better than Ron Santo

Dolph is starting to sound like Zabel in his later days. The difference is Zabel had great early years...and he was 70 when he started to fade.

Dolph is starting to sound like Zabel in his later days. The difference is Zabel had great early years...and he was 70 when he started to fade.

[video]https://youtu.be/QLzSpaEnA64[/video]

Z's best call ever despite the fact he almost missed calling it, repeated everything three times and gave an incorrect final score.

He was 64 at the time.

Still epic. Still the best.

Last edited:
Dolph is a TERRIBLE basketball announcer. Hansen might be a great color guy, but by the time he gets done with his analysis, the next possession is over. It's virtually unlistenable if you care about anything other than the score.

He does a good job, but he followed a legend. That is always hard for anyone to do because of the expectations. Jim Zabel was the best of all time in my opinion.

Latest posts