Anybody Else Worried About Losing Phil Parker?

MelroseHawkins

Boy, yesterday I was thinking about the portal and how odd it is that Iowa has some starting or starting worthy defensive players entering the transfer portal, especially at the CB/safety position. I realize Jacobs played the Cash, but that is a hybrid position.

I wondered if it is possible that Phil was offered a different DC position or a HC position somewhere? Could Iowa be waiting to announce he could be leaving until after the bowl game? All of a sudden it made me feel really nervous after thinking about it. Could those particular players entering the portal be a sign?

I hope not.

If Phil was ever going to make a move, this might be a good year to do it.

Losing Moss, Campbell, Benson, Justin Jacobs, Terry Roberts and more. You have to figure the defense is going to drop a little in performance. Looks like a rebuilding year to me.

We all love Phil and know that he's a great coach, but his style of defense is not what many teams are looking for. It works great for us because opposing teams typically fall into our strategy and play it close to the vest on offense, but the teams that would have the cash to poach him are looking to be involved in 45-42 shootouts against teams that have first round caliber WRs and QBs. Saban has even conceded that you don't win with defense anymore and that he considers it a win if the defense gets two stops a game against these really elite offenses. At the really elite level the defense has basically just become a question of whether you have a stud d-linemen who can completely throw off the passing attack because you can't rely on your secondary to stop a team like 2018 Clemson, 2019 LSU or the current Georgia squad.

Phil isn't going to leave to be DC anywhere else. Not every coach is cut out to be a HC, or even wants that load on the shoulders. My sense is that is Phil. He strikes me as a guy that is exactly where he wants to be. Maybe that is naive.

Naw. I mean he could hang it up I suppose all together but he's not looking to leave and chase a ring or the next challenge. Not at this stage of his career. He's a Hawk with KF until he's done as HC I think. But if you told me that Jacobs and Roberts were hopping in the portal before this week I'd have told you that you're nuts for that too so heck if I know

People have lots of reasons for moving/not moving. I have a few choices on my list where I would want to go. Was offered one recently.... Bozeman. Couldn't begin to cash flow it. SO beautiful there. Would hardly move anywhere else in IL even with a bigger salary. We've most all have had bosses we can't tolerate. A new gig for him may be worse in relationships than what he has. KF may mostly leave him alone.

IC is a great place to live in the Midwest.

What I liked about Fry... he wasn't afraid to hire great people and be afraid of losing them.

This age coaches under heat fire coordinators quickly. Phil doesn't have to worry about that.

Yes he might leave. I wouldn't like it. If he left it will mean that the Ferentz's will be gone more quickly.

Today's Gazette article on evaluating the program was telling. Said they review after ever year. This year things aren't broken. They'll likely look a bit harder at things than usual.

A great coach evaluates everything throughout the year and totally dissects things at the end. During the SDSU game KF did say at half that everything was working as it was supposed to (or something like that).

Phil has been at Iowa since the 90s and is 60ish. I dont think he would uproot his life or family at this point in his career. If Phil makes a move it will probably be retirement.

Maybe I'm wrong. It would be interesting to see how many head coaches got their first gig in their 60's.

Also, and maybe I'm reading outdated information but does Brian make $300,000 per year more than Phil??

Heck I'd put his chances at being our next head coach higher than his chances of departing the program. At 59 he's still a young man!

Past success is the best indicator of future success as they say in the hiring process.

Phil has been at Iowa since the 90s and is 60ish. I dont think he would uproot his life or family at this point in his career. If Phil makes a move it will probably be retirement.

Maybe I'm wrong. It would be interesting to see how many head coaches got their first gig in their 60's.

Also, and maybe I'm reading outdated information but does Brian make $300,000 per year more than Phil??

Iowa City area is a rather wholesome area to live and raise a family and watch your grandchildren grow

Might as well stick around and enjoy life

to live raising a family

Talk about your all-time overreactions. Phil ain't go anywhere. Now if Kirk decides to take a pay cut and give 2 mil for someone to run his offense and doesn't compensate Phil accordingly...then I can see him taking the money and running some SEC defense.

I don't know what is happening with this staff, the silence is deafening. I don't expect changes but the recruiting of Cade changes everything to Kirk and his players and coaches. 8 guys in the portal already, I think Kirk is feeling the backlash of bringing in a player when he has built a program based on players earning their playing time. I think it's a deal he had with them and now he's broken it. The losses on defense are unsettling to me and surprising, players with no reason to transfer. Only one player coming in and down to three receivers. I know it's early but most good players already know where they're going. Iowa is losing way more than teams not going through a coaching change and chasing D2 talent. I'm losing faith right now.

I don't know what is happening with this staff, the silence is deafening. I don't expect changes but the recruiting of Cade changes everything to Kirk and his players and coaches. 8 guys in the portal already, I think Kirk is feeling the backlash of bringing in a player when he has built a program based on players earning their playing time. I think it's a deal he had with them and now he's broken it. The losses on defense are unsettling to me and surprising, players with no reason to transfer. Only one player coming in and down to three receivers. I know it's early but most good players already know where they're going. Iowa is losing way more than teams not going through a coaching change and chasing D2 talent. I'm losing faith right now.
Unless a coach leaves on their own nothing is going to happen or be announced till after the bowl game. Probably a week or 2 after.

As far as portal goes very few kids have announced where they are going yet. A few have but for the most part they are just getting started on figuring that out. That'll pickup in the next few weeks as they take visits.

Unless a coach leaves on their own nothing is going to happen or be announced till after the bowl game. Probably a week or 2 after.

As far as portal goes very few kids have announced where they are going yet. A few have but for the most part they are just getting started on figuring that out. That'll pickup in the next few weeks as they take visits.

Is there a date that they have to announce a commitment by?

Portal closes mid-January.

Remember, a lot of these kids are just getting there first chance at visits this coming weekend, and this is finals week for a lot of schools.

While a lot of back door deals have been discussed in advance, I am sure most of these kids want to visit the new school and meet folks before formally committing. Expect some names to drop next week.

Let's just hope all of the positive rumblings on portal transfers is not just smoke. Having a QB is a great start.

We are losing more than we're gaining right now. That is probably true of every school out there. As mentioned above, most of these kids will want to visit before committing to a school and they haven't had time to do that yet.
Some people are freaking out because we have 8 players into the portal. Without doing any research, I doubt that is very far out of the norm for a P5 school.

Latest posts