anybody else notice...

Foval - How many minutes do you think Clemmons is going to play as a junior? MG is going to be a 30-35 mpg player at that point. Unless you think Clemmons is a 5 mpg player they are going to play together a lot and Clemmons isn't going to be the guy playing the 2.

I think clemmons is a 15 to 20 min a game player...even as a jr. Gesell will be a 30 min guy tops...of that 30 I would say 5 come at the 2 spot...that means they play together about 5 min a game. I doubt we have many if any playing more than 30 min during that season.

I think clemmons is a 15 to 20 min a game player...even as a jr. Gesell will be a 30 min guy tops...of that 30 I would say 5 come at the 2 spot...that means they play together about 5 min a game. I doubt we have many if any playing more than 30 min during that season.

Gesell is already basically a 30 min player as a freshman.

Gesell is already basically a 30 min player as a freshman.

Basically means he isn't...guess how many players we have averaging 30 min right now...zero.

In gesell's jr yr we should be just as deep as we are now and more all around talented. Why if that's the case would we play anyone 30+ min?

Gesell averages 27 min. Clemmons averages 17 min. Combined that is 44 min...therefore they are playing about 4 min together on average (obviously that is not 100% way of figuring it out but it gives an idea). With the fact that we are bringing in a 2/3 in jok that has length and a shot and can attck (he is similar to marble with a better shot). And a 3/4 that can shoot and handle in uthoff there won't be the need to play gesell out of position at the 2 where he is undersized. He isn't the old prototypical pg but he is more of the new age pg and the roster is shaping for him to be the pg and clemmons to be is backup.

Had Basabe not been playing so well, Clemmons would still be starting, now that doesn't mean that Gesell would slide to the two guard. Both Gesell/Clemmons are comfortable without the ball in their hands and that is a huge asset to have when both of them are on the floor together.

Fran has went to a bigger lineup in the starters with having Basabe in there for Clemmons, but goes to more of a traditional lineup with the second unit. The bad is the second unit outside of May isn't really scoring and Oglesby is the only guy really moving. This hurts Clemmons, but Clemmons doesn't take advantage of what he does well either, go to the rim or get out and run in transition. Iowa has two really good PG's on their roster and this will pay huge dividends in the future, including this year.

When you take a look at it, if Fran sticks to the more traditional lineup with the second unit, will it be Uthoff or Jok coming in for White playing the SF? As I have said before, it shows a healthy program if freshman are not playing a significant role, unless they are that good and can't keep them off the floor. What the second unit has done this year is come in and play their butts off and have been able to play absolutely great defense. Clemmons will benefit from having players around him off the bench with more scoring ability, but an offseason of working on his game will benefit him tremendously.

How little gesell and clemmons play together anymore?

I was told by many posters that gesell is better at the 2 and expect him and clemmons to play together more and more. But their time together has gone down and down. I see that staying the norm next yr and the following yrs as iowa brings in true 2 and 3 types (ie jok, uthoff). Maybe it is because may and ogelsby have been playing better (especially may) but next yr jok and uthoff are both better than may and they will play the 3 and jok will play the 2 also. This will limit the time gesell is at the 2 which limits how much clemmons and gesell are on the court together.

My goodness! The Hawks played a great game- I think we have some good things coming!! Please call ESPN -you would be a great analyst!!-Maybe an assistant coach!!

Clemmons generally plays with an inferior offensive group. I think that will change next year and make a difference. He's very quick with the ball in his hands. He and Mike will see some time on the court together.

Well said. Clemmons did well when playing with starters (it's easier playing with White. Marble, Basabe). It's tough for a point guard to play with Gabe (2 touches 2 turnovers tonight), McCabe JO (vs. man) & May - none of them look for anything, but a wide open shot unless the shot clock is running down.
Glad May showed some confidence shooting tonight! It's hard not to like that young man.

Basically means he isn't...guess how many players we have averaging 30 min right now...zero.

In gesell's jr yr we should be just as deep as we are now and more all around talented. Why if that's the case would we play anyone 30+ min?

Gesell averages 27 min. Clemmons averages 17 min. Combined that is 44 min...therefore they are playing about 4 min together on average (obviously that is not 100% way of figuring it out but it gives an idea). With the fact that we are bringing in a 2/3 in jok that has length and a shot and can attck (he is similar to marble with a better shot). And a 3/4 that can shoot and handle in uthoff there won't be the need to play gesell out of position at the 2 where he is undersized. He isn't the old prototypical pg but he is more of the new age pg and the roster is shaping for him to be the pg and clemmons to be is backup.

There's a huge flaw in your line of thinking. Gesell isn't playing point all the time he's in now, Marble is handling the ball just as much if not more than MG when the two are in the game together. When Marble is gone in 2014-15, neither Jok or Ogelsby are going to be playing point. The only way Gesell and Clemmons are only going to play together for 5 mins a game is either if Clemmons regresses, which I doubt is going to happen under Fran or we bring in an absolute stud McDonald's AA type pg or sg. Fran is going to get his players on the floor together and it's going to be Gesell and Clemmons.

Also right not we have a lot of solid players but we don't have any elite players on this squad which is part of the reason Fran is playing so many guys. Every player on this team is flawed in some way, we don't have any studs yet. Look at the game today, when our best players are playing well Fran rides them for 30+. I really think Gesell is going to be that first team All B10 type by his junior year and I fully expect him to be playing at least 30 a game.

I feel gesell could be an all b1g player...but I feel he can't be that if he is playing primarily the 2. He is limited in what he can do there. He has a higher ceiling (imo) as a pg. I look at the following roster from his possible jr season and I see the minutes shaping out similar to this yr but with a better result of more wins and higher b1g finish and obvious ncaa tourney.

1) gesell, clemmons
2) jok, ogelsby, ingram, gesell
3) uthoff, jok, white
4) white, meyer, uthoff
5) woodbury, olaseni

That would be a ten man rotation...similar to this season and players with similar skillsets but probably higher ceilings. Jok is a similar player as marble, uthoff is a cross between white and marble. It allows white to be a primary 4. Plus we have ogelsby and the possible advancement of ingram.

Again I like clemmons' skillset and what he brings. This is what I feel will happen based off of how I see fran using the subs now. Btw this is what I thought would happen next yr with clemmons becoming a bench pg because of uthoff and jok's added strengths allowing gesell to be the primary pg. It just happened sooner because of basabe and may's play.

Gessel is playing better right now for sure. Clemmons confidence seems to have taken a hit while May and Marble are picking it up.

Mike isn't a true point though. There are times when he has perfect opportunities to set others up and forces a shot.

I still like Clemmons potential as a true point guard.

Or Mike is a true point guard that can shoot, but he needs to improve on the distribution part of his game. He is only a freshman, so it could be as simple as that.

Gessel is playing better right now for sure. Clemmons confidence seems to have taken a hit while May and Marble are picking it up.

Mike isn't a true point though. There are times when he has perfect opportunities to set others up and forces a shot.

I still like Clemmons potential as a true point guard.

What??? He is the epitomy of a true point. He has total command of the offense, a decent outside shot & doesn't turn the ball over all that much. Also plays decent D & all this for a freshman.

I feel gesell could be an all b1g player...but I feel he can't be that if he is playing primarily the 2. He is limited in what he can do there. He has a higher ceiling (imo) as a pg. I look at the following roster from his possible jr season and I see the minutes shaping out similar to this yr but with a better result of more wins and higher b1g finish and obvious ncaa tourney.

1) gesell, clemmons
2) jok, ogelsby, ingram, gesell
3) uthoff, jok, white
4) white, meyer, uthoff
5) woodbury, olaseni

That would be a ten man rotation...similar to this season and players with similar skillsets but probably higher ceilings. Jok is a similar player as marble, uthoff is a cross between white and marble. It allows white to be a primary 4. Plus we have ogelsby and the possible advancement of ingram.

Again I like clemmons' skillset and what he brings. This is what I feel will happen based off of how I see fran using the subs now. Btw this is what I thought would happen next yr with clemmons becoming a bench pg because of uthoff and jok's added strengths allowing gesell to be the primary pg. It just happened sooner because of basabe and may's play.

So you don't like a shoot first pg but think he can be all b1g doing what he does.... Got it

So you don't like a shoot first pg but think he can be all b1g doing what he does.... Got it

I don't dislike shooting pgs...I prefer pass 1st pgs (I prefer rajon rondo to russell westbrook if I had a choice...but I am not ignorant to the fact that westbrook is still a good pg just a different pg than I prefer. And I would take him on my team if I could, just a matter of preference). I believe that gesell has the skillset to be an all b1g performer at pg but not at 2 guard. I prefer clemmons and gesell playing together (at least right now) but I am making an assessment based off of how fran has been using them and how I think the roster will be utilized in the future...it is pretty simple if you would read.

What??? He is the epitomy of a true point. He has total command of the offense, a decent outside shot & doesn't turn the ball over all that much. Also plays decent D & all this for a freshman.

Hes the epitome of a combo guard. Trey Burk is the epitome of a point guard.

Mikes steady getting the team into offensive sets but he doesn't make allot of set up plays.

How many lobs has mike set up vs Clemmons? Id say %80 of the oops this year have been thrown by Clemmons while Mike usually chooses to keep the ball and attack the rim in transition.

Its not a knock to not be a true point especially when you have a good jump shot.

Or Mike is a true point guard that can shoot, but he needs to improve on the distribution part of his game. He is only a freshman, so it could be as simple as that.

Point guard is a mind set as much as it is a skill set.

Mikes just seems to me like a guy whos instincts seem to be score first and his game plays out accordingly.

Its not a knock at all.

IMO guys like Westbrook, Derick Rose ect are great players but they aren't point guards. They are shooting guards who bring the ball up. Not a bad thing just a different style.

The problem, IMO, is that Gesell is better suited to play the 2 because of his shooting ability. With that being said, Clemmons has displayed 0 offensive skills so far and gets yanked for making bad decisions with the ball. Gesell is a steady presence at PG and takes care of the ball, but is never going to be a PG who breaks his guy down and gets into the paint to score or distribute. I thought / hoped Clemmons could be that guy, but haven't seen it. Clemmons has to get better with his handle or shooting or I don't know what he brings to the table. His defense is OK, but not good enough to offset getting major PT to score 2 PPG.

Latest posts