Any one else happy we didn't get that safety?

jesterapparel

I just knew if we could keep them backed up we would get the ball inside the 30 after the punt. I know the safety would have gotten us within 3, but I had a feeling if we got the safety we would have been focused on going for the tie and would have probably still had to drive 40 yards to get in field goal range.

Last edited:
It worked out. I was nervous on 3rd and 8 from the 22 though. If I had to choose, I'd have them punt from the 1, but I was still nervous.

I hindsight. If we get a safety and the score again obviously that would have been better. All things considered it probably worked out for the best

At the time... i was hoping for a safety because our offense had yet to score a TD and it would give us the ball and put us within a 3.

Obviously it all worked out, but at the time it all went down i would have gladly taken the 2 pts.

Oh, and give Greg Castillo a game ball. He's taken a lot of heat over the years, but I think we lose today if he doesn't make that play.

Oh, and give Greg Castillo a game ball. He's taken a lot of heat over the years, but I think we lose today if he doesn't make that play.
Quick question in regards to that play... is it a rule in the NFL that the player cant touch the goal line? Cuz when i originally saw it i thought it was a touchback.

What about the play when the niu qb threw it out of bounds within the tackles nowhere near a receiver intentional grounding safety not called.

I was surprised they didn't intentionally take a safety on that 3rd down instead of throwing it away. I think Iowa did that a couple of years ago.
they would have had a free kick and put us on the other side of the field.

I was surprised they didn't intentionally take a safety on that 3rd down instead of throwing it away. I think Iowa did that a couple of years ago.
they would have had a free kick and put us on the other side of the field.

Iowa was down by 5 at that point and had already made a 50 yard field goal. That would have been too risky.

Iowa's 2nd half defense (besides the 3rd down run for TD which EVERYBODY should have seen coming because NIU could hardly complete a pass) and the 4th quarter wind changed the game. I give more credit to the wind because NIU became completely 1 dimensional.

I did NOT want a safety. We would've had to drive by passing and most of our movement came from rushing. Would've been tough and was glad it turned out the way it did.

Latest posts