Any chance...?

Yeah I can see it happening. Like I've said in other posts, if Barta can confirm that players are staying and NOT transferring, there's really no GREAT reason to let Lick go right now. The only way Lick is out NOW is if players are transferring with his return, or a GREAT coach becomes available.

What would be worse......Barta firing Lick and getting an OKAY coach in (mid level) or waiting one more year and find a GREAT coach?

We already tried that once - see Tom Davis. It is a disaster to have a lameduck coach in terms of recruiting.

Barta attempts to let this storm pass and keeps Lick aboard?

Barta has no choice but to give Lick a pay raise, extend his contract for 7 years, and include a clause to hire son John as an assistant coach in Year 2013 with a guarantee that he will be given the head coaching job upon the expiration of Big Lick's contract.

GlidingHawk

Not even close to a pretty good chance he lets Lick stay another year...more like slim and none, that is unless he doesn't care if more key players transfer.

What if Barta's meeting with the players didn't include a list of those leaving if Lick stays? I think alot of people are jumping the gun saying that all these players are going to leave if Lick stays and there is no guarantee that even happened.

Yeah I can see it happening. Like I've said in other posts, if Barta can confirm that players are staying and NOT transferring, there's really no GREAT reason to let Lick go right now. The only way Lick is out NOW is if players are transferring with his return, or a GREAT coach becomes available.

What would be worse......Barta firing Lick and getting an OKAY coach in (mid level) or waiting one more year and find a GREAT coach?

What makes you think a great coach couldn't be found THIS year? Why do you assume only "OKAY" coaches can be had in 2010, and "GREAT" ones in 2011?

That being said...I believe Lick will be back.

What makes you think a great coach couldn't be found THIS year? Why do you assume only "OKAY" coaches can be had in 2010, and "GREAT" ones in 2011?

Even an ok coach is better than the worthless head coach we have now.

If Barta plans on retaining Lickliter, he should be shot. Not because I want to see Lickliter gone (frankly, I'm still just happy we don't have Alford anymore) but because Barta absolutely hung Lickliter out to dry. There is no way he'll have fan support and, it would appear, he doesn't have departmental support either. Barta has thrown Lickliter under the bus, to keep him would be career suicide for Barta.

The fact they are meeting today is very telling. If Lick was fired today the women would get very little press for their NCAA tourney bid. Keeping Lick...will generate a bit of a firestorm...but the women's announcement will take some of the heat off and it will pretty much have blown over by the start of the men's tournament on Thursday.

I think he was making a hypothetical scenario, and actually has a good point.

Timing is everything with hiring/firing coaches.

I don't think that. But, I think it's fair to say that right now there aren't any big names that come to mind that would be looking. I suppose we'll have to lure them to Iowa with a little $$$.

I don't think that. But, I think it's fair to say that right now there aren't any big names that come to mind that would be looking. I suppose we'll have to lure them to Iowa with a little $$$.

Just about any coach, save Coach K and Calipari are always "looking". Throw the right amount of money and a kick-@$$ sales pitch at them and they'll "look" pretty hard.

Latest posts