Any chance we start 3 freshman next year?

you must see something in White i don't , he plays the 3 quite well he is more atheltic you give him credit for and he is the one that will cause the matchup problems, his reach make up for any restriction he may have. Fran has said he is a 3 the announcers call him a 3, what is it that make some of you such great experts to say he can't when most of the people in a better position to say he can?

I doubt that we will start three frosh next year, but I think there will be a lot of playing time for our newbies. Josh O: I would not underestimate this guy. As I watch him, he works hard, plays decent D, but still tends to back off and let other guys do the job. I think if we used him the way we used Matt, lots of screens, hard work off of the ball, and another year of experience, he will be of significant value. He may be better than Matt in the future with his ability to drive and kick, or drive and pull up. To be clear, I think Matt is one very fine basketball player and we will miss him.
I think Devyn will see a lot of point guard time next year.

I don't know what the starting lineup looks like, but there are a couple rotations that can cause matchup problems.

BIG:

PG: Marble
SG: White
SF: McCabe
PF: Basabe
C: Woodbury

or Small:

PG: Gassell
SG: Marble
SF: White
PF: McCabe
C: Basabe

This "big" lineup would get slaughtered. Big is not better. We would just pass the ball around the perimeter until someone mishandled it or Marble had to go one on four. You can't just have 3 guys posting up all game. The post-up game is the easiest to stop in college because its very easy to double post players. You just sag and help off the weak shooters. Most college bigs don't pass well out of the double or have refined post moves. These guys won't be able to dribble or even feed the post. It would be terrible.

You need guards to win.

I think what you are going to see is Fran rotating alot of guys in and running all of the time. There will be plenty of time for everyone to play while the other players are catching their breath on the bench.

PG: Gesell
SG: Oglesby
SF: Marble
F: McCabe
F: White

Just one, I really do think Oglesby will make significant strides. He shoots well, little streaky, but he is a freshman, it is expected. Oglesby is a good ball-handler, has a mid-range game and shoots as good as anyone when on. His defense is overlooked, he understands the concept of it and that is all one can ask for as not too many players on the roster do. We will see him in much better shape, remember he wasn't with the team for a period because of an academic issue, he missed some valuable conditioning time. This is not to say that is why he isn't playing more.

Fran has done a good job with the freshman, he has eased them in and not made them a focus, but funny thing White busted out and is now a starter. I look for Fran to do much of the same for this year's class, minus Gesell, but he will have competition unlike Basabe as a freshman.

McCabe has earned a starting spot with his play this year, although confusing at times, he still has played well enough to earn a spot. Obviously, he will have to earn it next fall as well.

Let the freshman emerge on their own and not force anything upon them; it has worked for White. Basabe has regressed this season...was everything "too" easy last season?

you must see something in White i don't , he plays the 3 quite well he is more atheltic you give him credit for and he is the one that will cause the matchup problems, his reach make up for any restriction he may have. Fran has said he is a 3 the announcers call him a 3, what is it that make some of you such great experts to say he can't when most of the people in a better position to say he can?

actually fran compared him to a player that he coached at nd that was a 4. he said that aaron is a face up 4 man. which is basically calling him a combo 3/4. i think he will play the 3 some just like he has this yr but his primary spot will be 4 where he is a little better defensively as he is quicker than most 4s and can then pull them out when he is on the offensive end. white actually presents more match up problems as a 4 than as a 3. his reach makes up for some of his lacks (ie quickness against a 3 not that he isnt quick just not as quick as most wings). yet if he had to go 1 on 1 with a wing on defense he is in trouble. as a 4 he can be a better weakside shot blocker because he is good at that. as a 3 we lose that. on offense if a 3 is guarding him they can close the gap because they wont be afraid of his quickness to get by him allowing him less room to shoot. 1 of the reasons his 3s are better lately is he has more room to shoot because the 4s are backed off worrying he will slash by them for a dunk. he has done a serviceable job at the 3 this yr, he has been nearly unguardable from the 4 spot. put your players where they have an advantage...he is a 4 1st and sparingly a 3.

He has not been guarding the other teams small forwards and has struggled on D overall.

He is not a good perimeter defender and reach will not make up for that nearly enough.

At this point white is a liability defensively. He can't defend the three position.

Yes I think it is very possible 3 freshman could start.

Clemmons and Ingram are allot better than most on here seem to realize. They both have very good athleticism and are far superior defenders to anyone currently on this team.

To your question above, If Clemmons and Gessel are on the floor together Mike would play the two, I actually think we are going to see that look allot.

I think our main rotation 1-3 is going to be Marble and the 3 freshman with Ogelsby as the 4th player.

How do you know that Clemmons and Ingram are better than we realize?

Dont you realize that every recruit is awesome? Sure he hasnt seen either guy play in an actual game but they are awesome. Please just accept they are awesome

We are starting 5 freshman next year

Most on here seem to have almost no expectaions of them at all for next year but have huge expectaions for Gessle Woodbury and Myer.

In comparing those sets of expectations I feel very confident in saying the two in question are better than most on here realize considering this teams number one need is perimeter defense.

Ogelsby was the highest rated of the 3 freshmen and is struggling, i am still not sure how a incoming freshmen is going to knock Marble or White out of the lineup.
the reason most expect Gesell and Woodbury to start is the fact Both fill a immediate need at the Point and Center, maybe Clemmons does come in and earns the starting PG spot, but it will be hard to see 3 freshmen start, and i'll take that bet on White starting at the 3 next year with Marble at the 2, i expect Basabe to go back to basics and get his starting spot back, with McCabe splitting time with him at the 4, but if he does not get his yit together and McCabe doesn't get away from fouling like he does i see Meyer getting a solid look next year, otherwise i see him RS to bulk up and help breakup the classes

also most realize how good clemmons will be, he is the #1 PG and #3 overall in Michigan, that's not chopped liver we are looking at, either way the PG position is solid, and it won't matter who is on the court there will be no drop off with whoever is on the court

Latest posts