Any bowling stories out there?

Seth53

Any bowlers out there?

I've bowled for years, both men's and mixed leagues. Won a bunch of trophies and had laughs galore.

A ton of stories...one of my "OMG" memories is when the sweep gate came down early for some reason and my ball hit it full force...caused a ruckus and we had to move lanes.

BTW...do they stlll use those "foul lights" anymore...if your toe crossed it the throw was automatically negated?

What say ye?

My best ever game was a 229. It was in Japan. We drank a bunch of beers and I was trashed when we got to the alley. My wife told me to just have a water for the first game to sober up. People from other lanes were watching me, including a guy who showed up with a bionic arm thing and his own ball and crap. I wrap up that 10th frame and wander over to the counter to buy some beers. They don't sell beer. Fvck me sideways. Go to roll the next game. 81. I haven't bowled bince that day.

My best ever game was a 229. It was in Japan. We drank a bunch of beers and I was trashed when we got to the alley. My wife told me to just have a water for the first game to sober up. People from other lanes were watching me, including a guy who showed up with a bionic arm thing and his own ball and crap. I wrap up that 10th frame and wander over to the counter to buy some beers. They don't sell beer. Fvck me sideways. Go to roll the next game. 81. I haven't bowled bince that day.
There was a hot-shot who we bowled against in the mid 80s who brought like three different balls with him...one for the opening throw, the other two for which ever side his split was on. We cheered wildly when he missed spares.

There was a hot-shot who we bowled against in the mid 80s who brought like three different balls with him...one for the opening throw, the other two for which ever side his split was on. We cheered wildly when he missed spares.

Sounds like the kind of douche who would buy a Camaro and then doctor it up to look like a Firebird.

Bowling was some big shit in the Midwest back in the '80's. Some of you old guys are too old to remember that the beloved voice of the Hawkeyes, Sir Jim Zabel, also was the announcer for a fantastic bowling show called "Let's Go Bowling" where they'd post up at various bowling alleys around Neck Moines and then have challenges where people from far flung towns like Sewer City and Marshalltown would travel to ol' Capital City to try to knock off the city folk rollers. You remember that? Maybe if you lived outside the Des Moines viewing area you didn't get to see it. That was some appointment TV back in the day because it seemed like someone you knew would be on it once every few months. Getting on TV really meant something back then. What a time to be alive.

My buddy and I rolled extensively in the '90's, but it had really fallen off even by then. My buddy moved to Chicago in the very late '90's and got a job as a pin monkey at some AMF bowling center that they opened downtown to try to revitalize interest in bowling. Dude said they took an absolute bath on the place.

I just remember going to the alley in the '80's and the place was absolutely packed and sofaking smoky you couldn't breathe at all. Notwithstanding how rancid that environment may have appeared, we really lost a lot as a society when bowling died.

Hey that's a 155 average. Not bad:)

Like those overweight dorks who take softball tournaments, or even city rec, too seriously. Show up in full uniform, says "Tank" or "Sexecutioner" on the back, has the flowing stasche, the $1,500 custom Easton bat that's carefully packed in the $500 duffel bag and that no one was allowed o touch. Gloves, wristbands, cleats. beer belly, that guy.

Sounds like the kind of douche who would buy a Camaro and then doctor it up to look like a Firebird.

Bowling was some big shit in the Midwest back in the '80's. Some of you old guys are too old to remember that the beloved voice of the Hawkeyes, Sir Jim Zabel, also was the announcer for a fantastic bowling show called "Let's Go Bowling" where they'd post up at various bowling alleys around Neck Moines and then have challenges where people from far flung towns like Sewer City and Marshalltown would travel to ol' Capital City to try to knock off the city folk rollers. You remember that? Maybe if you lived outside the Des Moines viewing area you didn't get to see it. That was some appointment TV back in the day because it seemed like someone you knew would be on it once every few months. Getting on TV really meant something back then. What a time to be alive.

My buddy and I rolled extensively in the '90's, but it had really fallen off even by then. My buddy moved to Chicago in the very late '90's and got a job as a pin monkey at some AMF bowling center that they opened downtown to try to revitalize interest in bowling. Dude said they took an absolute bath on the place.

I just remember going to the alley in the '80's and the place was absolutely packed and sofaking smoky you couldn't breathe at all. Notwithstanding how rancid that environment may have appeared, we really lost a lot as a society when bowling died.
It was the comeradamie you developed with other preteens while the parents bowled, playing pinball, (my favorite was Ship Ahoy) eating free popcorn, having fountain Coke or Pepsi, watching baseball on a 19" black and white at the corner of the bar (where you were allowed to sit or stand as long as parent was there).

Bowling was big in Dubuque from its sixties and seventies heyday through probably the turn of the century. It declined when the mom and pop corner taverns did and that's probably not coincidence.

I once bowled at Playmor in Iowa City, got frustrated and punched a ball rack, then wondered why I sucked and why my hand hurt.

Anyone remember the "Roger Luttski" ads for Colonial Lanes on Cedar Rapids cable TV in the late 1990's? I knew the guys who created and produced them. They were my colleagues at (then) TCI when I did the same in Dubuque.

Or was it AT&T then? I worked there and don't remember. I do remember AT&T's logo was a bitch to crop out in photoshop. Also we have a place in nearby Benton Wisconsin that manufactures video games and pinball machines. My wife has promised to get "Ship Ahoy" for me as a retirement gift for the rec room when the day comes.

Last edited:
Hampton Iowa's bowling hang out was Trico Lanes. Oh the memories....as a young kid, gym in high school and then leagues as an adult. 10 lanes of fun. Regional tournaments were held at the Rose Bowl in Mason City on highways 65 south.

Every Wed was the adult leagues. 5-member teams. Men's and women's. 6-8pm then 8-10pm. Guys and gals leagues would switch times every other week. Leagues ran from Labor day through Memorial day with a big potluck/trophy ceremony at the end. Position night was memorable. We'd play poker either after or before our leagues depending on the night. 5th frame was beer frame....low score bought the next pitcher. Paid a quarter for each mark and took a playing card...best poker hand won the pot for that game.

Some late nights...coming home after midnight...getting up at 6 am for work.

And oh yes, the cig smoke. You couldn't wash your clothes enough to get the smell out. :)

Last edited:
My ball for years and years was an old crummy black house ball I found and paid Trico 10 buxx for.

Fit me like a glove and is still in a bag at home.

My dad bowled on the show. We both bowled in the Petersen Classic in Chicago. Dad was really good and always won money in that tournament. The place has been torn down now but was the most unique house I have ever bowled in.

It's like the proverbial guy who lugs around his own pool stick. Nothing better than grabbing one off the public rack at the Roadhouse, roll it a couple times on the table to just make sure it rolls over, than pummel that said guy. Nothing feels better.

Last edited:
It's like the proverbial guy who lugs around his own pool stick. Nothing better than grabbing one off the public rack at the Roadhouse, roll it a couple times on the table to just make sure it rolls over, than pummel that said guy. Nothing feels better.
LoL. I do have my own pool stick but I still suck.

I like doing this with bar darts. Some joker sitting by the dart board with his own little case of perfectly brand new tips and everything. I'll just grab the shitty bar darts sitting in a pint glass next to the board, and use those. Their face when they lose is priceless.

I like doing this with bar darts. Some joker sitting by the dart board with his own little case of perfectly brand new tips and everything. I'll just grab the shitty bar darts sitting in a pint glass next to the board, and use those. Their face when they lose is priceless.

Yea, it's worth the price of admission right there. No better feeling, I tell ya.

The embarrassment as they put away their $130 pool stick or shiny darts.

Any bowlers out there?

I've bowled for years, both men's and mixed leagues. Won a bunch of trophies and had laughs galore.

A ton of stories...one of my "OMG" memories is when the sweep gate came down early for some reason and my ball hit it full force...caused a ruckus and we had to move lanes.

BTW...do they stlll use those "foul lights" anymore...if your toe crossed it the throw was automatically negated?

What say ye?
My dad has been to the final ball 3 times in pursuit of a 300. The first time was the dreaded 299, second time he got his 300, last was a 298.

My dad has been to the final ball 3 times in pursuit of a 300. The first time was the dreaded 299, second time he got his 300, last was a 298.
We had a guy in our Hampton IA men's league who was a known 220+ ave bowler. We called him the Killer. He also went by Turkey-Man. He had the multiple balls, wrist brace, $100 fur-lined bowling bag, cursive name on his bowling shirts, etc.

Funny thing was he always had an "off night" the first night when you bowled for average and thus, handicap. He'd come in around 165. Pissed us off.

His behind-his-back nickname was "sandbagger."

Our team beat his for the league title two years running anyway ;)

Last edited:
Darts are one bar sport I was OK at. In fact I met my wife playing dart league. I could hold my own in dart league, which I had zero chance of doing in bowling, billiards or shuffleboard (the latter which I still love to play).

Bought an electronic dart board for the basement of our old house back in 1998 and still have it today, albeit after numerous silicone treatments to keep the darts from sticking over time.

Darts are one bar sport I was OK at. In fact I met my wife playing dart league. I could hold my own in dart league, which I had zero chance of doing in bowling, billiards or shuffleboard (the latter which I still love to play).

Bought an electronic dart board for the basement of our old house back in 1998 and still have it today, albeit after numerous silicone treatments to keep the darts from sticking over time.

I throw darts like I'm throwing a baseball!

No not really, but I enjoy seeing guys who do. Kinda funny.