Another Open Practice 8/18

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa willl open up kinnick again Saturday for an open practice, the public is invited. Gates open at 11

Last edited by a moderator:
From @HawkeyeFootball:

Good News #Hawkeye Fans, we will have another open practice this Saturday. Gates open at 11:00am. Hope to see everyone out at Kinnick!

No autographs or kids day on Saturday, just an open practice in Kinnick Stadium. More details to be released by the Iowa SID soon. #GoHawks

When we get the SID release, we'll post it.

Who is this man masquerading as KF?

Actually, this is extremely good out of the box thinking. A lot of young guys can use a little audience pressure.

The cloak and dagger stuff is unneeded. Yeah, I wouldn't allow media into practice all of the time. But you really don't start game planning in earnest until the first week. Much of what you put in this time of year is base package stuff that will be in every game plan, or work on fundamentals.

Didn't KF mention he saw the need for a second open practice partially due to the you running backs needing the experience? He didn't know if it would possible but he wanted to do it.

I can understand why every practice isn't open...

The cloak and dagger stuff is unneeded. Yeah, I wouldn't allow media into practice all of the time. But you really don't start game planning in earnest until the first week. Much of what you put in this time of year is base package stuff that will be in every game plan, or work on fundamentals.

but it's nice for another opportunity for fans to see this year's team. We see how many judgements/assessments the media and us fans make based on one practice last Saturday, my guess is KF doesn't want that going on day after day throughout fall camp. but this second opportunity to see what's going on (at least at that particular moment in time) will be informative.

I'm most interested to see if all the running backs and Lowery are back this weekend. Lowery is very important to what Iowa would like to do on defense this year. His ability might allow Iowa to send more people to stop the run or pressure the passer, and if he's not playing the potential drop-off to the next guy might be quite large.

I've been telling friends all summer. The staff has really truly changed. We are going to see changes on game day. We've seen much more aggressiveness in everything, recruiting, offensive playcalling, defensive playcalling, etc. I believe we'll see much more aggression at the end of halves, etc.

This is truly a big change in the KF era.

Re: I can understand why every practice isn't open...

but it's nice for another opportunity for fans to see this year's team. We see how many judgements/assessments the media and us fans make based on one practice last Saturday, my guess is KF doesn't want that going on day after day throughout fall camp. but this second opportunity to see what's going on (at least at that particular moment in time) will be informative.

My guess is KF doesn't care one bit about that ;) I think he wants a chance to get some younger guys healed up and on the field in front of people before the season starts, so they can get some experience with that, dealing with distractions...because several young players are going to play this year.

“If we had enough time, I’d probably do another fan day next Saturday,” Ferentz said. “I’d be in trouble with the administration, because they need a lot of people to open the stadium. Especially for our younger guys, it’s important for them to have fans here.

“Not that it’s a sellout, but it’s a big deal for the younger guys, just to have the music playing and all that stuff that distracts them, typically. We’ll have to create some of that, because we’re a young team right now.

Great to hear as I just may be able to finish up an early morning mud run in Marion and still make it in time for a few more pics. I am curious to see how many of the MIAs are back in action and now also want to see how Nate Meier fairs on the defensive side of the ball since HawkeyeBeat was reporting he has been shifted to Linebacker.

Do they let people take and post videos from the practice? Or are there stadium nazis who try to prevent it? I would like to see some of the new players in action, but can't be there myself.

Do they let people take and post videos from the practice? Or are there stadium nazis who try to prevent it? I would like to see some of the new players in action, but can't be there myself.

The guys with press passes always take pics and videos. Here's a link to the Hawkeye Report website. Pics and vids will eventually end up there. There's also a bunch of player interviews as well.

Story Index

The guys with press passes always take pics and videos. Here's a link to the Hawkeye Report website. Pics and vids will eventually end up there. There's also a bunch of player interviews as well.

Story Index

The interviews are nice, but I would like to see some raw video of the new players who are likely to see time this season. Does anybody take and post videos like that?

The interviews are nice, but I would like to see some raw video of the new players who are likely to see time this season. Does anybody take and post videos like that?

This might be more of what you're looking for. Here's a link to Brendan Stile's website showing a bunch of raw footage from Kid's Day. Garmon and Hill are not in them as they didn't participate at the open practice.

8/11/2012: Iowa football video (Kid’s Day) HawkeyeDrive.com HawkeyeDrive.com

Latest posts