Another March, another Alford tourney championship

Mine is just part of of my cable - it just showed up one day. They gotta get more content for it, though, right now it's pretty much just hockey and non-BCS conference basketball. I think Comcast and NBC have some interlocking ownership and I have Comcast, so that prolly 'splains where it came from.

NBC Sports is the old Versus. It is carried on most basic cable packages. During the NFL season, it has some excellent shows during the week with Peter King, Collinsworth & others.

It is owned by Comcast's NBC Sports Group.

OKP's Alford threads are always worth a giggle.

Take a trip back...Smith was leaving, the core of a team that didn't make the NIT was graduating, and there was not exactly a great recruiting class on it's way to Iowa City.

Too many years of poor recruiting and poor coaching. If he's finally figured out his craft at New Mex, great for him. He didn't figure it out in 7 years in Iowa City.

When the Hawkeyes play SD State it is not even a selll-out and a pre-season warm-up game. New Mexico was playing them in the Championship game of a conference very few people would recognize or heard of... seriously. New Mexico vs SD State for the championship game... of what? Pizza eating. The yawn-o-meter is pegged!
Alford should ride off the glory (as he usually does very well!) take all the credit and parlay that into a job at Nebraska.

In other news.... little Jimmy Snutka scored 18 pts in a youth league basketball game yesterday leading his team to the city league 9-10 year old championship.

When the Hawkeyes play SD State it is not even a selll-out and a pre-season warm-up game. New Mexico was playing them in the Championship game of a conference very few people would recognize or heard of... seriously. New Mexico vs SD State for the championship game... of what? Pizza eating. The yawn-o-meter is pegged!
Alford should ride off the glory (as he usually does very well!) take all the credit and parlay that into a job at Nebraska.

Don't watch much college basketball do you?

I watch WAY too much college basketball... what are you trying to say? That I should be excited about San Diego State vs New Mexico? Sorry... the game would seem as long as a Lifetime movie wife is watching in Living Room. I would rather go find something to work on in the garage.

What do you mean about watching much college basketball? Why would that have anything to do with not finding SAN DIEGO STATE vs NEW MEXICO interesting?

I watch WAY too much college basketball... what are you trying to say? That I should be excited about San Diego State vs New Mexico? Sorry... the game would seem as long as a Lifetime movie wife is watching in Living Room. I would rather go find something to work on in the garage.

What do you mean about watching much college basketball? Why would that have anything to do with not finding SAN DIEGO STATE vs NEW MEXICO interesting?

You said the MWC was a conference very few people have heard of, anyone who hasn't heard of it obviously doesn't watch much college basketball. Also I don't see what our poor fan support has to do with San Diego St. If we couldn't sell out a game against a team that's been ranked in the top 25 for two straight years and was a two seed in the NCAA's last year, well that's just a poor reflection on Iowa fans and has nothing to do with how good SDSU is.

That is what I find most amusing about novice fans. They base way too much off W-L records. "What's their record?"... oh yeah... well my High School team is better than that! It's all relative to the level of competition. AND NO... don't start telling me that San Diego State vs. New Mexico is near the same as Michigan State vs. Ohio State.
Get real...

That is what I find most amusing about novice fans. They base way too much off W-L records. "What's their record?"... oh yeah... well my High School team is better than that! It's all relative to the level of competition. AND NO... don't start telling me that San Diego State vs. New Mexico is near the same as Michigan State vs. Ohio State.
Get real...

Who said that? You said no one had heard of the MWC and Iowa wouldn't sell out against them. That's what I love about bitter Alford haters, when they have no point they just put words in other people's mouths.

You said the MWC was a conference very few people have heard of, anyone who hasn't heard of it obviously doesn't watch much college basketball. Also I don't see what our poor fan support has to do with San Diego St. If we couldn't sell out a game against a team that's been ranked in the top 25 for two straight years and was a two seed in the NCAA's last year, well that's just a poor reflection on Iowa fans and has nothing to do with how good SDSU is.

Very few people have heard of the MWC... try it out. Not everybody is freaks w/college basketball like people on this board. VERY FEW people could tell you what the MWC is. Most know what the Big Ten is. You ask your co-workers to name one player in the MWC, yet alone enough to make a team.

It is what it is... Mountain West Conference Basketball.

Very few people have heard of the MWC... try it out. Not everybody is freaks w/college basketball like people on this board. VERY FEW people could tell you what the MWC is. Most know what the Big Ten is. You ask your co-workers to name one player in the MWC, yet alone enough to make a team.

It is what it is... Mountain West Conference Basketball.

Yes no one heard of this guy named Jimmer last year, they are on the same level as the MEAC, they never had the same number of sweet sixteen teams as the B10 did last year.

Alford is a great coach in the Mountain West Conference. He was also great at Manchester and SW Missouri State. He ruined Iowa basketball. Brought us to the levels of Manchester and SW Missouri State.
I hope he gets a shot at a major conference again... the big leagues... just to see if he learned anything from his failures the first time around. Nebraska would be a great gamble and interesting to watch.

Yes no one heard of this guy named Jimmer last year, they are on the same level as the MEAC, they never had the same number of sweet sixteen teams as the B10 did last year.

Yes, I remember when he busted 50+ on Alford one night. Alford had no resonse... He was JIMMER'D!!!

Alford is a great coach in the Mountain West Conference. He was also great at Manchester and SW Missouri State. He ruined Iowa basketball. Brought us to the levels of Manchester and SW Missouri State.
I hope he gets a shot at a major conference again... the big leagues... just to see if he learned anything from his failures the first time around. Nebraska would be a great gamble and interesting to watch.

He didn't ruin Iowa basketball. The fans who stopped supporting him after the Pierre Pierce debacle started the process and Lickliter finished it off.