Another Interesting Stat

NikeHawk21

Iowa is 4-0 but actaully has a negative assist to turnover ratio. 57 assists and 66 turnovers.

Now as we know when someone throws a great pass to a guy who gets fouled, that doesn’t show up as an assist. That has happened a lot to us this year.

I’m not so much worried about the passing on this team. I think with the addition of Connor and Cook’s newfound willingness to pass we are actually going to be much improved there. Weiskamp as well.

The turnovers though as many have mentioned are still an area of concern. Some said we did a good job handling pressure, and to me we did and we didn’t in a way. Iowa did a great job overcoming the turnovers in NYC, but you can bet had we lost they would have been topic #1.

This will be an interesting stat to follow going forward and hopefully we can clean up the turnovers.

I think we had 5 in the first half against UCONN. That's a good number. The second half got a little crazy but that tends to happen with a big lead.

Also Wieskamp has been a turnover machine. That seems like something that can improve pretty significantly.

I think we had 5 in the first half against UCONN. That's a good number. The second half got a little crazy but that tends to happen with a big lead.

Also Wieskamp has been a turnover machine. That seems like something that can improve pretty significantly.
Good point. That’s why I said we were kind of both good and bad at handling the pressure. 1H against UConn did a good job. It seemed like near the end of the game against Oregon we did a good job beating the press with good passing. The start of the second half and at some points in the 1H of the Oregon game we were giving it away far too much. Iowa overcame it by staying locked in on D despite the turnovers.

yeah, he seems to really struggle, at times, with the length and speed of players at this level. he also seems to get called for charging when driving the lane, which i believe is also considered a turnover. he'll learn, though. i see a lot potential with this kid.

Joe is adjusting well. His D and court awareness are quite good. He did hit a Huge Three late in the Oregon when they had cut the lead to 7. Boom and we are up 10 once again and thru the remainder of the game.....

He was close on many missed shots and was trying too hard on most of them. He will adjust to the pace and is going to be a solid factor in the teams sucess this season.....

When I saw him miss a shot or get picked from behind I told myself that he was playing for Muscatine, Iowa this time last season.....

It is Coming.....

Had to edit.....saw and was both have the same letters and i was confused.....

:cool:

Last edited:
Good point. That’s why I said we were kind of both good and bad at handling the pressure. 1H against UConn did a good job. It seemed like near the end of the game against Oregon we did a good job beating the press with good passing. The start of the second half and at some points in the 1H of the Oregon game we were giving it away far too much. Iowa overcame it by staying locked in on D despite the turnovers.

Having watched it again, how did we get most of our turnovers? I feel like most of them were in our half court offense and more self inflicted, but I may be remembering wrong.

Having watched it again, how did we get most of our turnovers? I feel like most of them were in our half court offense and more self inflicted, but I may be remembering wrong.
I think it was fairly evenly split between the half court and when we were pushing the ball or handling the press. The one positive is we didn’t have a ton of the live ball turnovers that led to layups or dunks the other way, we still had a couple, but not nearly as many as last year.

I also thought the majority of the turnovers were in the half court or during fast break opportunities. It appeared the team handled the press pretty well for the most part. That said I do remember a few instances where help failed to come when the ball handler got stuck with the double team. I recall JBo getting tangled up resulting in a jump ball turnover once. There was a stretch with multiple charges called as well.

I think what we are seeing from Joe is exactly what has been pointed out. He's adjusting to the speed of play and the strength of college players. There have been a couple of times when he tried to drive on his quick firs step that worked in high school but the defender at this level stayed with him and forced him into an awkward position to throw up the ball or stop his dribble. Some of that is the quickness of the defenders and some of it has been him getting bumped and not being strong enough quite yet to finish with the contact. You can see that athleticism though and in a year or so I expect he will be a big problem for opposing teams.

I guess I’m good with that stat if they keep winning. I have to imagine that trend won’t continue as the season progresses.

I guess I’m good with that stat if they keep winning. I have to imagine that trend won’t continue as the season progresses.
We will not beat Wisconsin with that formula. Winning the turnover game has been Wisconsin’s MO for the last 20 years. Hopefully our offense will be much better Friday.

We will not beat Wisconsin with that formula. Winning the turnover game has been Wisconsin’s MO for the last 20 years. Hopefully our offense will be much better Friday.

We might. If we shoot lights out and their cold, we will win by double digits with more turnovers than assists. There are lots of ways to win games and lots of ways for your opponent to piss a game away that you dont deserve to win. Maybe we will be up 25 and our walkons will turn the ball over a lot like UCONN.

It's a stat that usually reaches up and bites you in close games. That's for sure. I think the made FTs on the season is what is neutralizing the assist/to ratio stat. We've made 163 FTs in 6 games. That's 27 points per game in made FTs. Or an extra 27 possessions per game @ a 1.0 points per possession ratio. That's astonishing.

Last edited:
I'm afraid Garza is going to get schooled by Happ on Friday...he's going to need help. I can hear Fran now...Don't leave your feet...don't leave your feet...as Happ goes through his assortment of pump fakes. The good thing is that Luka may miss the first pump fake altogether just because he's still catching up mentally and physically.

Iowa is 4-0 but actaully has a negative assist to turnover ratio. 57 assists and 66 turnovers.

Now as we know when someone throws a great pass to a guy who gets fouled, that doesn’t show up as an assist. That has happened a lot to us this year.

I’m not so much worried about the passing on this team. I think with the addition of Connor and Cook’s newfound willingness to pass we are actually going to be much improved there. Weiskamp as well.

The turnovers though as many have mentioned are still an area of concern. Some said we did a good job handling pressure, and to me we did and we didn’t in a way. Iowa did a great job overcoming the turnovers in NYC, but you can bet had we lost they would have been topic #1.

This will be an interesting stat to follow going forward and hopefully we can clean up the turnovers.
Good point. I’ve always wondered about that.

Why can’t they give an assist if the player makes both frees and a 1/2 assist for one free. Half sacks/tackles in football.

It’s not like it will overburden the CPU

But since it’s only one point I only get a 1/2 assist

I'm afraid Garza is going to get schooled by Happ on Friday...he's going to need help. I can hear Fran now...Don't leave your feet...don't leave your feet...as Happ goes through his assortment of pump fakes. The good thing is that Luka may miss the first pump fake altogether just because he's still catching up mentally and physically.
Garza played Happ really well last year at Carver. Plus we will probably zone quite a bit as well.