Another Gameday tradition dies - Myrtle Parking lot closed to general public.

This is just the next step in the Universities process of 'changing the culture'. This step is called 'removing the riff raff'.

I have only tailgaited there once. I am a very open minded "best interest of the public" type of person. But this BS is getting out of hand. Big bro gone too far

Some hope:
Barta also noted that when construction is completed on the football facility and the transportation center , the UI expects a net increase in total parking space because the footprint used for the football team's current indoor practice facility - "The Bubble" - will be converted into parking. He also noted that both construction projects are expected to be completed prior to the 2013 college football season.

This means my tailgate location has been changed to a spot I go when my daughters attend the games. I'm not saying where that is, because you gangsters will ruin it for the rest of us drunks.:p;)

Still this sucks...BIG TIME. I was a Myrtle Hill orphan, now a Myrtle Lot orphan. Screw Gary and his high brow a-holes.:mad:

Don't worry Vin, Racer, and anyone else that want to party with the tailgate god...that would be me.:rolleyes::p.

Still, even if Barta backs off, this is another attempt to push the proles further from the action.

BTW, my spot sees a walk thru from the fuzz, maybe twice a morning:D

Kudos to GarBar. The University has limited parking options available and shipping the proles out of that decent spot will free up more parking for those folks who are paying their fair share.

We are disappointed to lose our 2F parking spot in the dental lot. There are very few spots for 2F to park at anymore.

This means my tailgate location has been changed to a spot I go when my daughters attend the games. I'm not saying where that is, because you gangsters will ruin it for the rest of us drunks.:p;)

Still this sucks...BIG TIME. I was a Myrtle Hill orphan, now a Myrtle Lot orphan. Screw Gary and his high brow a-holes.:mad:

Don't worry Vin, Racer, and anyone else that want to party with the tailgate god...that would be me.:rolleyes::p.

Still, even if Barta backs off, this is another attempt to push the proles further from the action.

BTW, my spot sees a walk thru from the fuzz, maybe twice a morning:D

All you have to do is cough up $1000 and you won't be a Myrtle orphan. I'll throw in $100. Seriously. :)
Get that cheapskate DeanMarshall to open his wallet, while you're at it. :mad: :D

Kudos to GarBar. The University has limited parking options available and shipping the proles out of that decent spot will free up more parking for those folks who are paying their fair share.

Silence. You tailgate on non-U private property and everyone knows it.

I can only hope this is temporary and once the spot where the bubble now stands becomes a parking lot, Myrtle will be open to the public again.

Every year Barta and Co. do a couple of things to try and kill off tailgating. Ultimately that may be Barta's legacy.

Silence. You tailgate on non-U private property and everyone knows it.

I sometimes tailgate part of the time on private property. Me and HappyChef have had a KC pass for years, though, and given the gestapo-esque tactics, I have been forced to change things up a bit. I am also trying to divest my Northwestern tickets bince the Chef ain't happy. I haven't talked to him, but I heard a rumor that the town in Western Iowa where he parked that boss motor home is under water and I'm praying that it is safe.

I can only hope this is temporary and once the spot where the bubble now stands becomes a parking lot, Myrtle will be open to the public again.

Every year Barta and Co. do a couple of things to try and kill off tailgating. Ultimately that may be Barta's legacy.

Once it goes away it is never coming back. Just another step in pushing as many non $1000+ donors off campus.

This is truly sad. Tailgated there about 50% of the time. Yeah I'll find somewhere else to tailgate and will still have fun. Was a rowdy place but from my experience I found few people causing problems. Got a bad rap from people that don't like people being rowdy.

Probably the Church and some of the other private lots around there will jack up their prices now.

Just another thing to kill the environment around Kinnick.

Last edited:

I wouldn't count on it. Given that in order to get seats along the sidelines you have to donate and the threshold is only a grand, I would bet GarBar has heard a lot of complaints about parking from folks who donated and don't like their current parking situation. Some of those folks will get shuffled to the Law School lot, they'll like it, and the lumpenproles will be pushed out to the Cub Foods/Wal-Mart parking lot where they belong.

Every year when some new change is made by the University it is always made after everyone has bought their season tickets. This is kind of getting old.

Latest posts