Another fun podcast to listen to.

BigD

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/hn-podcast-miller-howe-talk-football-basketball

You guys work great together.

I also think with the coaching changes that there are a lot of unknowns and that in itself makes the upcoming football season exciting and interesting.

On the basketball side it is looking very promising with what we already have and the recruits we have coming in. Rob I just laughed at your comments about the Germany game. I could only stand to watch the first half of the game also.

I listen to every single one and they download straight to my phone when they release. When they don't download - I light Jon up on Twitter :)

Thanks, guys. We'll do these more frequently during the season. I enjoy doing these with Jon, just a couple of longtime friends talking Hawkeyes.

I like them because you guys keep it real and are genuine. Not the manufactured shock jock crap that many others in media, sport talk do. I could listen to it all day at work, actually.

I still try to find the one years ago when Jon & Deace were at the station where Deace talked about being addicted to competition. "Competition is my addiction!" Jon replied something to the effect of paraphrase "..... somehow a 1980's bumper sticker broke out". It was hilarious. They guys could hardly keep composes enough to finish.

"I'm addicted to competition, competition is my addiction"

Last edited:
Are you guys ever gonna have a 3 way with Deace? I enjoy Deaces take on all things college football too with your podcasts with him. Hearing Deaces stories about media days years ago was awesome.

It would be cool every once-in-awhile to do a round table with a few like, Jon, Rob, Deace and Wolfgang for instance. I guess may be too many to have a good flow, don't know.

Are you guys ever gonna have a 3 way with Deace? I enjoy Deaces take on all things college football too with your podcasts with him. Hearing Deaces stories about media days years ago was awesome.

Yeah. That paints an unpleasant mental picture for those with their minds in the gutter. :eek:

As someone mentioned, not sure about the flow with a three or more on a pod. Jon could probably speak better to that. He's the pod master. I'm the written word man. ;)

Yeah. That paints an unpleasant mental picture for those with their minds in the gutter. :eek:

As someone mentioned, not sure about the flow with a three or more on a pod. Jon could probably speak better to that. He's the pod master. I'm the written word man. ;)

I do like how worked up Wolfgang gets. I literally wait for these podcasts every week... my wife even knows you guys cause I'm always listening. More is better IMO

A lot of times it seems like Jon brings up a topic or question and then just turns Deace loose. Then after his take on it they go back and forth on it. I could see you guys all doing something like that just going around the room after an initial take on something. The dynamic would be different than how it would be with 2 guys interviewing someone which this wouldn't be for sure. But you'd have at least one listener here if ya wanted to try it.

There is one portion that I do not understand. You guys talked about the 3 wide with 2 TE's and Wadley in the backfield and the flexibility. What I am not understanding is if you have 5 receivers, a QB and a RB that means you only have 4 linemen and that won't work. I am curious if they did this, they would have to leave Pekar on the line, correct?

There is one portion that I do not understand. You guys talked about the 3 wide with 2 TE's and Wadley in the backfield and the flexibility. What I am not understanding is if you have 5 receivers, a QB and a RB that means you only have 4 linemen and that won't work. I am curious if they did this, they would have to leave Pekar on the line, correct?

I chuckled when I heard that because obviously they'd get flagged for 12 men on the field if they went with a formation of 3 WR, 2 TE, and 1 RB. :)

What you could do is have 3 WR on one side and 2 TE on the other, with one of the WR being Wadley. Then if the D went dime or nickel, you could motion Wadley back to the backfield, motion one of the TE to the side Wadley vacated to end up with a balanced line, and then run him to either side (preferably not the short side! :))

I chuckled when I heard that because obviously they'd get flagged for 12 men on the field if they went with a formation of 3 WR, 2 TE, and 1 RB. :)

What you could do is have 3 WR on one side and 2 TE on the other, with one of the WR being Wadley. Then if the D went dime or nickel, you could motion Wadley back to the backfield, motion one of the TE to the side Wadley vacated to end up with a balanced line, and then run him to either side (preferably not the short side! :))
I was hoping I wasn't the only one that noticed that. I like that idea of flexing Wadley, or Butler out in the slot and motioning him back in if the defense dictates that. Would also be a good way to overload one side and bring the RB in a jet sweep as well. You vacate part of the field and can get our backs out in space easier. Just a random thought though.

Yes. Iowa is listing 12 offensive players on the depth chart so I'm assuming they're going to use 12. :)

It actually was a three wide right, one tight, one back set. I can't count that's why I went into writing. ;)

Yes. Iowa is listing 12 offensive players on the depth chart so I'm assuming they're going to use 12. :)

It actually was a three wide right, one tight, one back set. I can't count that's why I went into writing. ;)

When I was listening to the pod, I knew that's what you meant....but can't fault a guy for busting balls every now and then when the opportunity presents itself! :)

Agree. Really enjoy these podcasts. Even better with a cold Ruthie ... although I understand the real Ruthie was actually quite hot.

Thanks for the clarification Rob. I was just curious because when I coached, we did a lot of funky things with unbalanced lines, 2 tackles on one side, TE moving inside as a tackle, things like that. I was just wanting to make sure, and thought to myself that they were really getting creative with the offense, but I assumed that wasn't the case.

Latest posts