Angel Reese

I saw a podcast where Megan said she'd been cut 4 time before finding a home with the Phoenix Mercury. Now she's signed a 2-year contract with the 2-time defending champ Las Vegas Aces.

AND, she has really upped her game and is shooting 3s regularly and efficiently. I saw a video just yesterday where her London Lions are in Istanbul, Turkey for a Euro tourney of some kind and she was popping 3s from the corner like she was Steph Curry.

I agree with the poster that said she was a generational player at Iowa, she laid the groundwork for CC and helped Lisa Bluder reach the pinnacle of college coaching.

Wouldn't you love to see what she could do in the B1G right now with that expanded skillset? She still does work around the rim, too.

The WNBA is very had to break into. They have 32% of the roster spots of the NBA, and hence a 3x greater concentration of talent.

Wouldn't you love to see what she could do in the B1G right now with that expanded skillset? She still does work around the rim, too.

The WNBA is very had to break into. They have 32% of the roster spots of the NBA, and hence a 3x greater concentration of talent.

I think with those few spots, the WNBA winds up with more Johnny Manziels, Jamarcus Russels, Vernon Gholstons. And they miss out on a lot of Tom Bradys and Brock Purdys. And there's no Kurt Warners. Nobody forgoes the NBA draft. The risk/reward ratio is vastly different than the risk/reward ratio for the WNBA.

Gabbie Marshall isn't going to fight the fight. Going to Europe. Playing in the Arena League. Clawing her way in. She's going on to greater things without having to live a life of travel and constant threat of having to fight for your job. The risk/reward ratio isn't the same as the NBA or NFL. And, since she'll be a great OT, she'll eventually find a way to net more income than scratching out a few years in the WNBA and then having to start a career in her late 20s or early 30s.

Jaylyn Sherrod. For the WNBA's sake, I'm glad she's going because she is the one player I saw all season that I would have loved to see transfer to Iowa. You telling me she can't find a way to make more money than in the WNBA after getting her degree in three years and will have two post-grads in less than 5? She's not listed on anybody's top 20 draft picks I saw. But I see a player like her, and I see the kind that could be infinitely more valuable in winning a professional championship than a number of other players projected to go well ahead of her.

There is some correlation between NFL draft pick and HOF status. But it's not super smooth and would need a fairly complex linear regression to describe that correlation. The WNBA is lured by 'big names' in an effort to attract eyeballs. And some just don't translate. Lots of 'medium names' simply forgo the draft. And they tend to try to keep 'big names' in play, after it's clear that they've been surpassed either by a new paradigm or age. They're gonna have to work on that if they wanna keep me when my Clark obsession fades. What I have seen of the WNBA...far less compelling basketball than what I see in college.

It's a big deal to me every time I see someone do it.
Cause I've tried to do it. And I can't figure out how to.
Which pisses me off. I'm a tech guy. Or was. I used to "work for the internet" as a systems guy for a high speed data network. I lived and breathed FreeBSD. I sat 10 feet from the internet. One of my former coworkers is a high level admin at Amazon. Another is a vice president at Facebook. Even after I left the tech world, I once fixed American Express' DNS for them and solved a seemingly intermittent problem they knew about for years, but could never pin down and fix. They sent me a $100 prepaid card. I knew my shit back in the day. Hell, I even wrote the code for a message board because I couldn't find a free one at the time that had the features I needed and didn't exclude the features I didn't want.

And yet, I have not been able to figure out how to post pictures, links, etc. like you all do.
And it horks me off and makes me feel old.
Oh I miss FreeBSD. Haven't laid my hands on a FreeBSD ISO in probably 15 years...

I may have to fire up a FBSD VM just for nostalgia sake...

Oh I miss FreeBSD. Haven't laid my hands on a FreeBSD ISO in probably 15 years...

I may have to fire up a FBSD VM just for nostalgia sake...

I know we're getting off topic, but I keep shoving it that way, cause I'm 'done' with the original topic.

I loved FreeBSD. It could do anything, but wouldn't do a single thing until you told it to. Which meant you had to learn it. And once you did, you KNEW a lot of stuff and had the power to do anything. The more we've made computers easier to use, the more useless they become in some ways. We don't take the time to unleash their power.

Two of my kids were interested in "computers" and vaguely talked about "computer" careers. And while they messed around with stuff like Minecraft 'servers' or whatever they weren't digging in like I did. I gave them each a NUC and permission to do anything they wanted with it, as long as it was running some form of Linux. My theory is, if you know Linux coming out of high school, you're employable. They didn't do jack with 'em and have moved on. Although one kid is doing tech support. The other is gonna make a fortune as an actuary.

I did use those NUCs on and off until they got lost. It was handy having a Linux box off site to use real tools to troubleshoot connectivity or DNS or something. Last time I used anything like it, I fired up Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi so I could invoice a customer who ordered a crapton of product and needed like 300 different invoices. No way was I gonna sort all that data in Excel (well, LibreOffice Calc). 5 minutes to write a shell script and it was done with a punch of a button.

Well, 20 minutes. Because I couldn't get Emacs running and I had to look up how to do anything with Vi.
I know Emacs was 'eighty meg and constantly swapping', but man it was nifty for shell scripting. Vi? I refused to use it back in the day. You want to do something as simple as save your file? Alt>shift>capital P>right shift>lowercase O>knit a sweater>page down>function 7>spin around three times>enter.

If you do get one fired up, I'll dig out a Pi and we can link up and have an online throwdown with Xconq.

Soooooo, what's up with posting pictures being such a big deal?
A user posted a picture of Van Lith in braids comparing her to a similar-looking picture of a Hitler youth in a Nazi propaganda poster. Complete with a swastika and everything. Joke or not, ain't happening here.

I think with those few spots, the WNBA winds up with more Johnny Manziels, Jamarcus Russels, Vernon Gholstons. And they miss out on a lot of Tom Bradys and Brock Purdys. And there's no Kurt Warners. Nobody forgoes the NBA draft. The risk/reward ratio is vastly different than the risk/reward ratio for the WNBA.

Gabbie Marshall isn't going to fight the fight. Going to Europe. Playing in the Arena League. Clawing her way in. She's going on to greater things without having to live a life of travel and constant threat of having to fight for your job. The risk/reward ratio isn't the same as the NBA or NFL. And, since she'll be a great OT, she'll eventually find a way to net more income than scratching out a few years in the WNBA and then having to start a career in her late 20s or early 30s.

Jaylyn Sherrod. For the WNBA's sake, I'm glad she's going because she is the one player I saw all season that I would have loved to see transfer to Iowa. You telling me she can't find a way to make more money than in the WNBA after getting her degree in three years and will have two post-grads in less than 5? She's not listed on anybody's top 20 draft picks I saw. But I see a player like her, and I see the kind that could be infinitely more valuable in winning a professional championship than a number of other players projected to go well ahead of her.

There is some correlation between NFL draft pick and HOF status. But it's not super smooth and would need a fairly complex linear regression to describe that correlation. The WNBA is lured by 'big names' in an effort to attract eyeballs. And some just don't translate. Lots of 'medium names' simply forgo the draft. And they tend to try to keep 'big names' in play, after it's clear that they've been surpassed either by a new paradigm or age. They're gonna have to work on that if they wanna keep me when my Clark obsession fades. What I have seen of the WNBA...far less compelling basketball than what I see in college.

Good point, I never really thought of it that way

A user posted a picture of Van Lith in braids comparing her to a similar-looking picture of a Hitler youth in a Nazi propaganda poster. Complete with a swastika and everything. Joke or not, ain't happening here.
But you went off on a rant about never posting pictures again. That's the part I was curious about.

Is that picture still up? I want to know if I need to be outraged too?

I know we're getting off topic, but I keep shoving it that way, cause I'm 'done' with the original topic.

I loved FreeBSD. It could do anything, but wouldn't do a single thing until you told it to. Which meant you had to learn it. And once you did, you KNEW a lot of stuff and had the power to do anything. The more we've made computers easier to use, the more useless they become in some ways. We don't take the time to unleash their power.

Two of my kids were interested in "computers" and vaguely talked about "computer" careers. And while they messed around with stuff like Minecraft 'servers' or whatever they weren't digging in like I did. I gave them each a NUC and permission to do anything they wanted with it, as long as it was running some form of Linux. My theory is, if you know Linux coming out of high school, you're employable. They didn't do jack with 'em and have moved on. Although one kid is doing tech support. The other is gonna make a fortune as an actuary.

I did use those NUCs on and off until they got lost. It was handy having a Linux box off site to use real tools to troubleshoot connectivity or DNS or something. Last time I used anything like it, I fired up Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi so I could invoice a customer who ordered a crapton of product and needed like 300 different invoices. No way was I gonna sort all that data in Excel (well, LibreOffice Calc). 5 minutes to write a shell script and it was done with a punch of a button.

Well, 20 minutes. Because I couldn't get Emacs running and I had to look up how to do anything with Vi.
I know Emacs was 'eighty meg and constantly swapping', but man it was nifty for shell scripting. Vi? I refused to use it back in the day. You want to do something as simple as save your file? Alt>shift>capital P>right shift>lowercase O>knit a sweater>page down>function 7>spin around three times>enter.

If you do get one fired up, I'll dig out a Pi and we can link up and have an online throwdown with Xconq.
Yeah, I tried to get my kids into Linux by putting Edubuntu on an old laptop when they were young and buying them some "coding for kids" books, but it didn't really go anywhere. They just want to use computers and play games, no really interest in understanding how they work. My son did build his own gaming rig, but he mostly followed instructions online. Plus it's way easier than back in the day when you were troubleshooting video or audio drivers until 3am, cursing SoundBlaster and wanting to launch the install CD into the sun.
I wish I had time to revisit things like Xconq, but I have so many other random projects to finish. :)

Also, you can have my Vi when you pry it from my cold, deal fingers. :)

My take is she's a fierce competitor who's game reminds me of Draymond Green's before everyone got tired of the antics. On your team you love her and tbh she may be a great teammate and person off the court, I'll take their word about her character because I don't know her and have only seen her play a handful of times.

Where she messed up was how she handled herself after the NC. In my opinion, she comes out during the press conference and simply says something to the extent of she got caught up in the moment, it's squashed and done with. Instead she accepted the role of the villain and ran with it because it made her the hot topic and landed both fame and NIL fortune. Downside for her is I think she truly believe her when she makes the comments about not being able to enjoy the last year, because the role has stuck with her and she brought it on herself. That said, I know absolutely nothing, but I bet when she's out of the spotlight and the camera's aren't on her she's more the humble player we saw crying at the podium and in the handshake line after the game, but unfortunately for her she's got one hell of a PR battle ahead of her if she wants America to believe that.

It was totally unnecessary and unfair to Van Lith (and almost anyone else) to boot.

Latest posts