ANF hat

Hawks1

So today I'm getting some oil and a filter at Arnolds and there iis a guy in there with a ANF hat on, I do a double take and go to the counter. I turn to him and ask where did you get that hat, he tells me that he got it from his cousin that played at Iowa. So I ask what position did he play he says kicker, I'm like what was his name he replied Nate Kaeding. I was in Ankeny and was expecting Kyle Schlicher to come out of his mouth but anyway he said Nate had a box of them and he gets a bunch of free stuff from him. Looks like I won't be getting one anytime soon.

They are now selling ANF gear with the Hawkeye stuff at Scheel's at Jordan Creek Mall. T's and Hoodies, but I think they may have had hats, too.

It stands for America Needs Farmers. Hayden had his Hawks in the 80's put this sticker on their helmets during the farm crisis to drum up support for our farmers. Captain Kirk revived this two years ago, first with a small ANF sticker inside an outline of the state of Iowa on the back of the helmet, to going back to the larger circular version on top of the helmet that Hayden originally used, last year.

Turn in your fan card, and report to Cyclone Fanatic immediately.

Just kidding. What Borwig said.

Agree........Hawk football fans that have to ask about ANF are young in age or do not have a pulse. Even the young fans should have noticed KF jump started the ANF sticker on the football helmets. :)

It stands for America Needs Farmers. Hayden had his Hawks in the 80's put this sticker on their helmets during the farm crisis to drum up support for our farmers. Captain Kirk revived this two years ago, first with a small ANF sticker inside an outline of the state of Iowa on the back of the helmet, to going back to the larger circular version on top of the helmet that Hayden originally used, last year.

Someone should copy and paste this into a sticky thread about ANF. I can't believe there are some people who still don't know what it means.

I almost crapped myself during the 09 UNI game when I first saw that Ferentz had brought back the circular ANF sticker on the helmets! They look totally sweet.

I love that ANF is back on the helmets...but I'd like to know how- the way I remember it, the NCAA decided that Hayden's stickers were advertising and they had to remove them.

Am I wrong about that? Anybody remember?

I love that ANF is back on the helmets...but I'd like to know how- the way I remember it, the NCAA decided that Hayden's stickers were advertising and they had to remove them.

Am I wrong about that? Anybody remember?

IIRC, the NCAA passed a rule several about no extra stickers on helmets (besides the normal stripes, logos, etc). However, many schools (e.g. OSU) continued putting them on for pride stickers, etc. I think KF finally just decided to ignore the rule like everyone else.

IIRC, the NCAA passed a rule several about no extra stickers on helmets (besides the normal stripes, logos, etc). However, many schools (e.g. OSU) continued putting them on for pride stickers, etc. I think KF finally just decided to ignore the rule like everyone else.

Yup. I'm sure Kirk just up and decided to ignore an NCAA ruling.:)

Must not have really been a ruling, or the rule has changed.

Latest posts