Andy Reid talks Stanzi

Bohawk

Not much, but something. More than we heard from Romeo...

From the KC Star:

...Their other quarterbacks last season were Quinn, a potential unrestricted free agent, Ricky Stanzi and Alex Tanney, who joined the Chiefs last year as an undrafted rookie and spent all season on the injured-reserve list.
Reid was similarly non-committal on whether the Chiefs would attempt to re-sign Quinn, who finished with a lower passer rating than Cassel. He didn’t throw enough passes to qualify for the ranking.
But Reid sounded intrigued by Stanzi. He joined the Chiefs as a fifth-round draft pick from Iowa two years ago but hasn’t played in a regular-season game.
“I watched a ton of his (video) from college,’’ Reid said. “I watched all of it. I watched everything he has from here. There’s just not that much of it. That’s a hard (evaluation). You want to see them in games. I’ve heard good things about him, both of those guys (including Cassel) and actually Brady, too. But with Stanzi you just don’t have as much information.
“There’s probably not enough on Ricky (to have an informed opinion), certainly not enough on what we’ll ask him to do. Matt, you’ve got a little better feel about just because there’s more snaps. Matt’s a good football player.’’
Read more here: Chiefs’ Reid: Too early to say if Cassel will stay in KC - KansasCity.com

So what we know is that Reid has watched a lot of film on Stanzi. What he thought of what he saw? Don't know, apparently it never came up.

Hmmmmm.........I wouldn't take any of that as a positive. More like a non-committed neutral.

No shame if Ricky wants to hang around as a backup for a couple contracts. Its tough to be an NFL QB and if he can get paid and can come in for an injured starter from time to time, not too bad.

What does KC do? Do they draft a QB in a weak QB class? Give up valuable draft picks to bring in a Kirk Cousins, a Ryan Mallet? Bring in Alex Smith, Mike Vick? KC picked the wrong time to need a QB.

What does KC do? Do they draft a QB in a weak QB class? Give up valuable draft picks to bring in a Kirk Cousins, a Ryan Mallet? Bring in Alex Smith, Mike Vick? KC picked the wrong time to need a QB.

Matt Flynn? :)

Tough to read these comments. He's either intrigued and wants to see more, or nothing jumped off the screen to make him want to push to keep him around.
I'd be willing to bet KC keeps Cassell and releases Quinn. Stanzi should stick around as a backup, and wait for Cassell to suck it up or get hurt. Then shine!

I just love it how these coaches and front office hacks can talk like a bunch of politicians not really saying anything in the process.

I have one thing to say...Stanzi couldn't beat out Cassell or Quinn. That should tell us all we need to know.

By whose authority? Romeo's OC who won 2 games?

EDIT: Cassel and Quinn will be in Stanzi's boat this offseason. Learning a whole new offense where the QB will have to be athletic. Besides, KC will likely draft the QB from West Virginia.

Last edited:
You need a stud at QB to compete in the NFL.. Who would have thought that Kapernick would do what he did. He's another Brady find. If the Chiefs could identify that guy in this years draft,then get him..Just don't wait until the 4th or 5th round hoping he's still there.

Alex Smith will likely be KC's starting QB next year. Coming off two years where he was a top rated passer in the NFL. For the experience and money he's a perfect fit.

I highly doubt Smith will have the same success he accomplished his last two years in SF but he's an upgrade/security at a weak position. With Smith you have 3 years of "pretty good" while Reid tries to find the future.

I personally hope they can't figure it out for a Year or two. But would certainly like to see Stanzi on the playing field somewhere.

Alex Smith will likely be KC's starting QB next year. Coming off two years where he was a top rated passer in the NFL. For the experience and money he's a perfect fit.

I highly doubt Smith will have the same success he accomplished his last two years in SF but he's an upgrade/security at a weak position. With Smith you have 3 years of "pretty good" while Reid tries to find the future.

Agreed. Smith will likely be at least league average, which would be a huge upgrade for KC.

Not much, but something. More than we heard from Romeo...

From the KC Star:

...Their other quarterbacks last season were Quinn, a potential unrestricted free agent, Ricky Stanzi and Alex Tanney, who joined the Chiefs last year as an undrafted rookie and spent all season on the injured-reserve list.
Reid was similarly non-committal on whether the Chiefs would attempt to re-sign Quinn, who finished with a lower passer rating than Cassel. He didn’t throw enough passes to qualify for the ranking.
But Reid sounded intrigued by Stanzi. He joined the Chiefs as a fifth-round draft pick from Iowa two years ago but hasn’t played in a regular-season game.
“I watched a ton of his (video) from college,’’ Reid said. “I watched all of it. I watched everything he has from here. There’s just not that much of it. That’s a hard (evaluation). You want to see them in games. I’ve heard good things about him, both of those guys (including Cassel) and actually Brady, too. But with Stanzi you just don’t have as much information.
“There’s probably not enough on Ricky (to have an informed opinion), certainly not enough on what we’ll ask him to do. Matt, you’ve got a little better feel about just because there’s more snaps. Matt’s a good football player.’’
Read more here: Chiefs’ Reid: Too early to say if Cassel will stay in KC - KansasCity.com

new mod? cool. anyway, will be interesting to see what he does with the team. i think he'll clean house. at least on O. we'll see. maybe we can get Rick in as an assistant coach when he's done throwing the football around...

By whose authority? Romeo's OC who won 2 games?

EDIT: Cassel and Quinn will be in Stanzi's boat this offseason. Learning a whole new offense where the QB will have to be athletic. Besides, KC will likely draft the QB from West Virginia.

I'm sure Romeo kept his better QB carrying a clipboard rather than play him to win games and keep his job. I haven't heard alot of the KC media calling for Stanzi over the past year...usually when your offense is that bad in the passing game...there is an uproar in the fan base and media calling for the back up, and not Quinn either. I was hoping Rick would be impressing so much in practice that he would have gotten the call...let's face it, the other two guys don't have Alex Smith type numbers in the win column.

I also think KC goes after Smith in a big way...and down goes Cassell, and probably Stanzi.

You just described his last few years in San Francisco. Nice synopsis. Niners found "the future," the future is now.

Latest posts