Andy Katz latest on Iowa coaching search

BigJHawk

"Iowa doesn't t want to wait for Dayton’s Brian Gregory to finish the NIT, and Gregory won't talk to the Hawkeyes until his season is over. Iowa was extremely interested in Gregory, so this move is odd for them if he’s truly the top choice. Iowa has talked to McCaffery and he remains a finalist with the Hawkeyes. Tulsa’s Doug Wojcik talked to Iowa and could be one of the other finalists. Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall turned down an interview request. Murray State’s Billy Kennedy talked to Iowa as well."

Coaching carousel chatter - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Doesn't sound like Gregory is exactly dying to be our head coach, which I'm happy about. I think Wojcik has a better resume.

If Gregory is Iowa's number 1 choice, they'll wait to talk to him. The only people who need to be antsy at this point, are the fans.

I am calling complete and total bullsh*t on this. COMPLETE.

If Gregory is the one that Barta wants, I don't believe for ONE SECOND that he would not wait one friggin week to hire him... Or to put it another way, that we wouldn't hire our top choice because we can't wait potentially 2 days. Does Katz even think about this before he writes it?

"Iowa doesn't t want to wait for Dayton’s Brian Gregory to finish the NIT, and Gregory won't talk to the Hawkeyes until his season is over. Iowa was extremely interested in Gregory, so this move is odd for them if he’s truly the top choice." Coaching carousel chatter - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

I'm a little confused by this.. We don't want to wait for Gregory, but he won't talk to us until the season's over. So what is the "odd move" that Katz is referring to? If Gregory IS our top choice, what choice do we have but to wait for him?

I am calling complete and total bullsh*t on this. COMPLETE.

If Gregory is the one that Barta wants, I don't believe for ONE SECOND that he would not wait one friggin week to hire him... Or to put it another way, that we wouldn't hire our top choice because we can't wait potentially 2 days. Does Katz even think about this before he writes it?

+1.

Agreed. That doesn't make much sense to me either. But if there is any truth to the Katz Report then we could be hiring someone not named Gregory before Tuesday.

I'm a little confused by this.. We don't want to wait for Gregory, but he won't talk to us until the season's over. So what is the "odd move" that Katz is referring to? If Gregory IS our top choice, what choice do we have but to wait for him?

Katz is implying that even though Iowa has high interest in Gregory, they are prepared to hire someone else rather than wait for Gregory to finish his season.

Katz is implying that even though Iowa has high interest in Gregory, they are prepared to hire someone else rather than wait for Gregory to finish his season.

Ok, makes sense now. Although I have serious doubts that Andy Katz really knows what Barta is about to do..

That's exactly what I'd like to know. How Katz knows how our finalists are is beyond me.
katz.jpg

+

Trojan-Condoms.gif

+

pandq2.jpg

A coach doesn't have to talk to you before his tourney run is through in order to have strong interest in being your coach. Maybe he just has principles that dictate that he doesn't start another thing until he is finishes with the first thing he is doing, which is his job.

Do you have a problem with a coach that gives everything he has to his current employer?

A coach doesn't have to talk to you before his tourney run is through in order to have strong interest in being your coach. Maybe he just has principles that dictate that he doesn't start another thing until he is finishes with the first thing he is doing, which is his job.

Do you have a problem with a coach that gives everything he has to his current employer?

Absolutely not...your question makes me think back to Roy Williams when Bonnie Bernstein asked him about UNC right after KU lost in the tourney before he left..."I couldn't care less about North Carolina!"...no coach should care about anything but the task at hand.

Wow, I'm impressed with that list. Guys from Sienna, Tulsa and Murray State. The cutest puppy of the litter, a guy from Dayton, but he's not that interested. Gary doesn't want to wait? I guess he's afraid he might lose these 3 quality guys.

I'm glad all that money talks. It's really impactful.

Also, nice to know all the big names consider Oregon a better job. Iowa right there with DePaul and St. John's.

My Oh My. If this is true, good luck Gary.

Who is this McCaffery he is implying about?

I'm guessing a mid-major coach. And I'm sure since this name doesn't ring a bell then he won't be well received should he get the job.

Latest posts