Andy Katz latest on Iowa coaching search

I am calling complete and total bullsh*t on this. COMPLETE.

If Gregory is the one that Barta wants, I don't believe for ONE SECOND that he would not wait one friggin week to hire him... Or to put it another way, that we wouldn't hire our top choice because we can't wait potentially 2 days. Does Katz even think about this before he writes it?

Nail hit on the head.

McCaffery???

Katz's latest..."
Iowa doesn't t want to wait for Dayton’s Brian Gregory to finish the NIT, and Gregory won't talk to the Hawkeyes until his season is over. Iowa was extremely interested in Gregory, so this move is odd for them if he’s truly the top choice. Iowa has talked to McCaffery and he remains a finalist with the Hawkeyes. Tulsa’s Doug Wojcik talked to Iowa and could be one of the other finalists. Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall turned down an interview request. Murray State’s Billy Kennedy talked to Iowa as well."

Another link related...
Siena’s McCaffery is a candidate at Iowa, too - College Sports - Siena and University at Albany college basketball coverage - timesunion.com - Albany NY

Who is this McCaffery he is implying about?

I'm guessing a mid-major coach. And I'm sure since this name doesn't ring a bell then he won't be well received should he get the job.

Coaches at Siena. Runs a really fast, up-tempo, exciting system and has made them a consistent tourney threat. Was a long-time assistant at Notre Dame.

I'd rather have Wojcik though and people really shouldn't be upset with him if he's the choice.

Coaches at Siena. Runs a really fast, up-tempo, exciting system and has made them a consistent tourney threat. Was a long-time assistant at Notre Dame.

I'd rather have Wojcik though and people really shouldn't be upset with him if he's the choice.

Has it really come to this? We may have a coach that consistently threatens to make the tourney? And the kicker is, that's an improvement!!

Has it really come to this? We may have a coach that consistently threatens to make the tourney? And the kicker is, that's an improvement!!

No, tourney threat as in, a threat to win in the tournament. Two straight years with NCAA Tournament wins is pretty solid at Siena.

Great, so he was an assistant under Digger Phelps?? NO THANKS!! Resume isn't that impressive.

All I can say is bring on the Football season. I would rather hire a top assistant that is a great recruiter than these Head coaches they are talking about. If St Johins might consider Lavin I hope to hell we would at least interview him. What have we got to lose. These guys there talking about now are not ringing my bell at all.

No, tourney threat as in, a threat to win in the tournament. Two straight years with NCAA Tournament wins is pretty solid at Siena.

Great! Lickliter took his Butler teams to the Sweet Sixteen and that didn't work out for us. We'd go from firing a coach with the NCOY award and Sweet 16 appearances to hiring a coach that has NEVER been to the Sweet 16? That makes sense...:rolleyes:

Great! Lickliter took his Butler teams to the Sweet Sixteen and that didn't work out for us. We'd go from firing a coach with the NCOY award and Sweet 16 appearances to hiring a coach that has NEVER been to the Sweet 16? That makes sense...:rolleyes:

Is there anything you provide other than uninformed ranting against mid-major coaches? Oh and stealing stuff 5 minutes after it's posted on HR and passing it off as coming from your "source", lol. Oh and I love how you polish up Lick's resume now after complaining about him all year.

Seriously, wake up and get a clue. We will not be hiring a high-major coach away. One mid-major coach failing doesn't mean they're all doomed to repeat the same fate. Do me a favor and look at the coaches in the tournament this year. Look at the top 16 seeds overall and how many of them came directly from mid-major positions. Look in the Big Ten.

It's pathetic that no matter who we hire, we're going to have a large portion of fans against him right away.

At this point, I don't really care who it is we hire. I want Barta and the search commitee to take as long as they need to, weigh their options, and find the right fit. Andy Katz is a friggin' moron if he thinks that Iowa is just going to hire someone because we are getting impatient. Barta knows his butt's on the line, and he can not screw up this hire. If he has to wait until a week after the Final Four to get his man, then you can bet your bottom dollar he'll wait.

HawkeyeShane, where do you live?

I live in KC, so I recognize the Roy reference. But where do you live. I would bet many don't quite get what you are asking.

Recruiting Coordinator at Notre Dame
success stories:
Pat Garrity
Troy Murphy
Laphonso Ellis
Monty Williams
Ryan Humphrey

Latest posts