And now this

I am saddened that the audience was stuck with such a terrible "comedian". The only thing worse than his comedy is his knowledge of Iowa football, or lack thereof.

I am saddened that the audience was stuck with such a terrible "comedian". The only thing worse than his comedy is his knowledge of Iowa football, or lack thereof.

You are out of touch. I think quite a few people would consider Lewis Black one of the top comedians in the world, I also think his comments reflected the majority of Iowan's opinion of Ferentz. Let me guess, you are one of the old codgers that still enjoys hearing Hey Jude from the band every year.

Well now I wouldn't say that, but I doubt he could hold a candle to Red Skelton.

Edit: If I had my way I would replace a lot of the music with polka, and highlander music.

You are out of touch. I think quite a few people would consider Lewis Black one of the top comedians in the world, I also think his comments reflected the majority of Iowan's opinion of Ferentz. Let me guess, you are one of the old codgers that still enjoys hearing Hey Jude from the band every year.

If only Lewis Black knew a frigging thing about football. All he is doing is mirroring/aping the pay-envy/class-envy crowd.

Oh, and one might look online to see what kind of cash Lewis Black pulls down. I sure as he&& wouldn't mind getting that kind of dough just to hide behind the First Amendment insulting people.

I'm sure Lewis Black is nowhere close to being a "99 %-er".

I think these 3 points are drastically over estimated. Several years ago, he may have been regarded as one of the better comedians out there; but his schtick has long since run its course and he has become very much a caricature of himself.

I also don't think the "majority" of fans feel the same as you (and Lewis Black).

You don't know who Red Skelton was? He was only the best comedian ever.
Was that back before talkies? And to the class warrior guy, How do you know Lewis Black doesn't know anything about football? All he was commenting on was what is probably a majority opinion..... "I am sorry your football coach sucks". He can't say that because he is a successful comedian and makes alot of money? Does not make sense.

I think these 3 points are drastically over estimated. Several years ago, he may have been regarded as one of the better comedians out there; but his schtick has long since run its course and he has become very much a caricature of himself.

I also don't think the "majority" of fans feel the same as you (and Lewis Black).
I guess you'll be buying up the empty seats in Kinnick this year.

Red's career actually lasted 70 years (1923-1993) He started before the first talkies, but his career lasted long enough that many of us could have seen him live. I should also note that not once did I see him rip on Hayden Fry, he was just a great performer.

Last edited:
I just don't get the defenders of Ferentz. No matter how bad the team gets....mediocrity is OK, it's just little ole' Iowa. Ferentz had some good years. He is not keeping up with the times, it is time to start again, get a new coach. One who can actually recruit a top 50 class, one who can manage a clock, one who can consistently beat one of the worst programs in the nation (Iowa State), one who can compete. We have Top 15 facilities, we have the 11th financially strongest program.....why don't we have a Top 15 football program. Lewis Black was right. Hawknick, the earth is not flat. And Red Skelton was just sad.

Red's career actually lasted 70 years (1923-1993) He started before the first talkies, but his career lasted long enough that many of us could have seen him live. I should also note that not once did I see him rip on Hayden Fry, he was just a great performer.

Come on, this guy's heyday was in the 50's. I can think of at least a dozen comedians off the top of my head that were/are better than him.

Per Gary Barta: “I know we’ve got to get momentum back. We’ve got to have fun again when we come to Kinnick Stadium. I know we will, and we’re doing everything we can.”

The police state around Kinnick combined with the product on the field is what isn't "fun" about being in IC on gameday. Kinnick use to be a destination on Saturday's in the fall. Now, I'd rather watch it on the comforts of my own home, drink a beer and yell freely at my TV.

I question they are "doing everything they can".

Yes, until we get a coach who wins. It works, Michigan got a Harbaugh out of the deal, while the sniveling Ferentz backers sit back and take it.

Whether it's Louis Black, Red Skelton or Redd Foxx.... point is, when the visiting comedians put you in the cross hairs and ESPN picks it up... you're pretty much toast.

Ferentz is becoming validation for every negative stereotype about IOWA (the state, not the University)... boring, overly conservative (not the political label) and slow to change and embrace new ideas.

Can we get rid of this guy already and his #1 enabler. He's becoming a punchline (literally in this case) and I don't like my alma mater attached to it.

We knew he would be coaching the team this year no matter what. His buyout was simply too big to get rid of him. Nothing will happen until next year at the earliest so we are going to have to put up with being a punchline in the meantime.

Latest posts