Amazing Stats

Hard to believe? I think we set ourselves up for this quite nicely the last few years. Not much of a shock here.

What's more amazing then that is the winning despite it... How many schools in the bottom 10-20 of overall O have winning records?
Let alone be in 9th place for W's in the entire sport the last 5 years. It's actually incredible. Iowa is very much at a crossroad this season. I'm hoping they can win 9+ but I am not as confident of it as I was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Let alone be in 9th place for W's in the entire sport the last 5 years. It's actually incredible. Iowa is very much at a crossroad this season. I'm hoping they can win 9+ but I am not as confident of it as I was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Our offense was serviceable (middle of the pack nationally in OFEI) for most of that time, it is only the last 2+ years that it has completely fallen off the cliff.

Fortunately (for team wins), or unfortunately (from the perspective of offensive accountability, or from the perspective of squandered opportunity), 2021 and 2022 Iowa squads had elite special teams, perhaps the greatest Iowa defense in the modern era, and relatively soft schedules.

The offensive chickens are now coming home to roost.
1696529406603.png

What's more amazing then that is the winning despite it... How many schools in the bottom 10-20 of overall O have winning records?
Winning against soft schedules. Continually winning games he’s supposed to and losing the ones he’s supposed to with extremely low variance

No it isn’t.

True. His statement is wrong.

There are a few categories, where Iowa is even outperforming some 'relevant teams'. But, I think it is 100% fair to say that over a quarter of the way through the season, Iowa's offense is comprehensively the worst performing offense of any Power 5 team (and then some).

Out of 130 FBS teams listed at NCAA.com....
Because of 'ties' we can only say that...

-Iowa is ahead just of 3 teams in # of plays (277)*
-Iowa is in sole possession of last place in total yards (93 yards behind Eastern Michigan)*
-Iowa is tied with Kent St. for last place in yards per play (4.35) which is 1.04 yards/play behind the pre-Brian historical average of the entire KF era. Lower than even 1999, 2000, and AIRBHG of 2012. In fact, since Brian came on as OC, Iowa has never surpassed the historical average of the preceding 18 years.
-Iowa ahead of just 4 other teams. Akron, Nevada, Eastern Michigan, and Kent St. in offensive touchdowns (tied with 8 other teams). **
-Iowa is in sole possession of last place in yards per game.
-Iowa is ahead of just two teams in total first downs.***
-Iowa is ahead of just 3 teams on 3rd down conversion percentage
-Iowa is ahead of 95 teams on 4th down conversions. So, we got that going for us.
-Iowa is in sole possession of last place in completion percentage.
-Iowa is ahead of 18 teams (including ISU, NW, and Indiana on avg. yards per rush)
-Only 7 teams have lost more fumbles than Iowa.****
-Only 24 teams have thrown more interceptions than Iowa.****
-Only 26 teams have given up more sacks than Iowa.*****

* These are net totals, not averages, so there 12 teams that have played one less game than Iowa. All are still ahead of Iowa in this net category.
** See above. I dunno how many have 4 or 6 games. I didn't count.
*** Both teams have only played 4 games.
****Several teams behind Iowa have played either 4 or 6 games
*****6 of those teams have played 6 games

I shout hosanas that there is more to football than just the offense.
But there is no use for a 3 legged table, with one broken leg.
You can still use it as a table. It'll hold your dinner.
Until it doesn't.
That leg must be fixed.

Last edited:
The other two legs of our wobbly table....

Iowa is better than 128 teams in avg. net yards on punting.
Iowa is better than 120 teams in avg. kickoff return yardage for, and tied with 113 other teams with 0 TDs on kickoff returns.
Iowa is better than 100 teams in avg. punt return yardage for, and tied with 15 other teams who have 1 TD off punt returns.
Iowa is better than 112 other teams and tied with 4 other teams in field goal percentage, and is in about the same spot for total field goals made.

On defense,
Iowa is better than 113 other teams in yards allowed per play.
Iowa is better than 119 other teams in total offensive touchdowns allowed.*
Iowa is tied with about 50 teams with 1 defensive touchdown. 21 teams have 2 or 3 defensive touchdowns.
Iowa is tied with 16 teams, and trail 50 others in total turnovers gained by the defense.

* 3 of the teams ahead of Iowa have only played 4 games.

This is entirely how our wobbly table is 4-1.

I was going to name Taylor as the current favorite for MVP. I mean, only one team with better #s out there. BUT, there is also the rest of the squad that contributes to the second highest punt avg.

And I was going to name a tie for second between DeJean and Higgins, who is third in "total tackles".

I think at this point, it's DeJean. Only 10 teams with better kickoff returns. Only 30 teams with better punt returns. And better than 115 teams in punt returns for touchdowns. But, he is a significant part to the two good legs of our table.

Therefore, Cooper DeJean is the current MVP.

Also, LeVar Woods and Phil Parker are both very special coaches. (And Kirk Ferentz. I don't mind saying it. But, he's on a bit of a short leash at the moment with me.)

Last edited:
The other two legs of our wobbly table....

Iowa is better than 128 teams in avg. net yards on punting.
Iowa is better than 120 teams in avg. kickoff return yardage for, and tied with 113 other teams with 0 TDs on kickoff returns.
Iowa is better than 100 teams in avg. punt return yardage for, and tied with 15 other teams who have 1 TD off punt returns.
Iowa is better than 112 other teams and tied with 4 other teams in field goal percentage, and is in about the same spot for total field goals made.

On defense,
Iowa is better than 113 other teams in yards allowed per play.
Iowa is better than 119 other teams in total offensive touchdowns allowed.*
Iowa is tied with about 50 teams with 1 defensive touchdown. 21 teams have 2 or 3 defensive touchdowns.
Iowa is tied with 16 teams, and trail 50 others in total turnovers gained by the defense.

* 3 of the teams ahead of Iowa have only played 4 games.

This is entirely how our wobbly table is 4-1.

I was going to name Taylor as the current favorite for MVP. I mean, only one team with better #s out there. BUT, there is also the rest of the squad that contributes to the second highest punt avg.

And I was going to name a tie for second between DeJean and Higgins, who is third in "total tackles".

I think at this point, it's DeJean. Only 10 teams with better kickoff returns. Only 30 teams with better punt returns. And better than 115 teams in punt returns for touchdowns. But, he is a significant part to the two good legs of our table.

Therefore, Cooper DeJean is the current MVP.

Also, LeVar Woods and Phil Parker are both very special coaches. (And Kirk Ferentz. I don't mind saying it. But, he's on a bit of a short leash at the moment with me.)
You must be retired.

Interesting indeed, though.

Winning against soft schedules. Continually winning games he’s supposed to and losing the ones he’s supposed to with extremely low variance
That's what's allowed for it to happen I agree. Iowa's started to get smacked around by the PSUs Michigans OSUs etc. We just play the MNs, Northwesterns and ILs more often. The thing is the other teams should Iowa's been beating should be kicking themselves.

Iowa games have for a long time now been a race to 20. Even with how good our D is that's a tough thing to hold teams to. Look at some of the scores around college football. Iowa's D this yr isn't really close to what they were last yr. Yet still doing a great job all in all. Most programs with our O wouldn't stand a chance at winning. KF leans on Parker and Woods like no other HC does with their DC and special teams guys.

You must be retired.

Interesting indeed, though.

Nah, not that old yet. I own the place so I can take a long lunch if I want. Also my wife packed me some pudding today, so I'm savoring it and taking extra long.

Also, I think numbers don't lie. They don't always tell the whole story. But they don't lie. I've never been a numbers guy. I usually go from the gut. But, now that I operate my own business, numbers really are important bits of information. While they never tell the whole story, they can give you a pretty good framework of a story. And the story on the Brian experiment has gone from a groaner to a horror story. It has NEVER had a spark of life.

Last edited:
Nah, not that old yet. I own the place so I can take a long lunch if I want. Also my wife packed me some pudding today, so I'm savoring it and taking extra long.

Also, I think numbers don't lie. They don't always tell the whole story. But they don't lie. I've never been a numbers guy. I usually go from the gut. But, now that I operate my own business, numbers really are important bits of information. While they never tell the whole story, they can give you a pretty good framework of a story. And the story on the Brian experiment has gone from a groaner to a horror story. It has NEVER had a spark of life.

Good path for you. Interesting. What line of business are you in?

Good path for you. Interesting. What line of business are you in?

Small factory. Family biz. Manufacture our own product lines used in food handling and whatnot. Basically found niches over the years that nobody else makes, or wants to make, or can't make as well we can, and really aren't justifiably importable. Only sell to distributors so our marketing budget is $7.99/month for a website and we have no sales staff. Gotten enough market share in some areas, we've ended up re-homing some other things because importing is a massive headache for everybody.

Pretty good gig. Long lunches. Plenty of time to messageboard and TikTok doom scroll. Until it isn't and I have to deal with real issues. Meh, only a couple times a week.

If it weren't for this biz, I'd still be in Iowa.

This offensive ineptitude is years in the making coupled with injuries. They recruited poorly in 2020 and 2021 most particularly on the offensive line. The QB position has been poorly recruited until just after last season.

Small factory. Family biz. Manufacture our own product lines used in food handling and whatnot. Basically found niches over the years that nobody else makes, or wants to make, or can't make as well we can, and really aren't justifiably importable. Only sell to distributors so our marketing budget is $7.99/month for a website and we have no sales staff. Gotten enough market share in some areas, we've ended up re-homing some other things because importing is a massive headache for everybody.

Pretty good gig. Long lunches. Plenty of time to messageboard and TikTok doom scroll. Until it isn't and I have to deal with real issues. Meh, only a couple times a week.

If it weren't for this biz, I'd still be in Iowa.

The absolutely best marketing for private business is "word of mouth". Cuts down on the overhead with not having to pay to market and it substantiates that the business is on line as far as quality control and reliability. There is not stronger indication for a healthy business than word of mouth referrals to said business.

Sounds interesting. Well done to you and your family.