AM to Iowa....leaving K ST?

Yeah, why wouldnt the irish want to fly down to play Miami and SCarolina when they could bus to JNW, IU, and Purdue and do the quick hopes to Mich, Mich St, and OSU. The ACC does not seem to have the depth of the Big in football right now and in Bball also top to bottom.
Notre Dame is not going to join a conference for football anytime soon. The ACC allowed them to join most (or all?) other sports except football. They want to remain independent for football. With the expansion of the playoffs inevitable, they are even more unlikely to join a conference for football. They will able to qualify for the playoffs quite easily as an independent, at least based on their recent record of success. If it were a 12 team playoff field this year they would've been in.

Pitt checks the boxes for academic profile, region, and history of success in football. But it also grades out as an F in terms of expanding the TV/marketing footprint. And they play in a pro football stadium.
You'd think that for B1G Bucks they'd try to find the space for a new stadium, but as you've addressed the B1G puts major emphasis on TV markets. Making the PSU-Pitt game a Big Ten matchup would be really cool though. You'd imagine that would be a Fox night game every year, which probably makes more money than Rutgers on its own. It's up there with the Iron Bowl and Red River Shootout for rivalries I make it a point to watch most years (Skipped the latter this year, so that's the only reason I can't say every).

Pitt is a tremendous academic institution. They were a perfect fit.

Wonder if Penn State doesn't want it???

Notre Dame is going to continue to do Notre Dame things. I just don't think they are interested in joining a super tough Big Ten in football.
Notre Dame will do whatever makes Notre Dame the most money, plain and simple. If they haven't joined a conference, their actuaries haven't said it will make them more.

Just wanna mention I am under no illusion that it would ever happen.

I just think it would’ve been an awesome alternative to Buttgers and Maryland.

Pitt is a tremendous academic institution. They were a perfect fit.

Wonder if Penn State doesn't want it???

Notre Dame is going to continue to do Notre Dame things. I just don't think they are interested in joining a super tough Big Ten in football.
I don't care about the fighting catholics, but I was thinking how do Pitt and PSU get along?

Notre Dame is worse than Michael Jackson
You are welcome to your opinion of course, but you realize Notre Dame gave us Dr. Eddie Anderson Born in Oskaloosa, HS in Mason City, and coached the 1939 Iowa Iron men with Nile Kinnick...... and lets leave music out of this FOOTBALL forum ....unless of course you wanna Talk about FRANK, SAMMY Davis or DEAN ...

You are welcome to your opinion of course, but you realize Notre Dame gave us Dr. Eddie Anderson Born in Oskaloosa, HS in Mason City, and coached the 1939 Iowa Iron men with Nile Kinnick...... and lets leave music out of this FOOTBALL forum ....unless of course you wanna Talk about FRANK, SAMMY Davis or DEAN ...
Eddie Anderson. Walked into Kinnick as a senior. Never had a season remotely close to ‘39. He was the One Hit Wonder of coaching.

A competitive Pitt team in the Big 10 East would create tv viewers in the state of PA and the surroundings when they played Mich, OSU, Mich St and the PSU game would be a big ratings game. Much better I think that Rutgers.

Does anyone know how Rutgers tv ratings are so far after these years with them in the Big?
Unfortunately the ratings don't matter much, the way their TV deal works is the more TV's in that market the more they get. It doesn't matter if they are tuned into the BTN or HSN.

No one outside of Pennsylvania cares about Pitt.

Unfortunately the ratings don't matter much, the way their TV deal works is the more TV's in that market the more they get. It doesn't matter if they are tuned into the BTN or HSN.

No one outside of Pennsylvania cares about Pitt.
I spoke with Sally Mason at a New York City reception after the B1G expansion was announced and you have it exactly right. Ratings in the Tri-State (New York, New Jersey and Connecticut) and the Washington, D.C. market don’t matter much — those areas are much more attuned to pro teams (Giants, Jets, Eagles, Ravens, former Redskins whatever the hell they now call themselves, even the Patriots for their historic rivalry with the Giants when both teams were good.) It’s the TV footprint — the sets and increasingly the existing and potential streaming market base that matters. The population in those areas is huge, and thus a considerable potential market for revenue-generating product.

Notre Dame is not going to join a conference for football anytime soon. The ACC allowed them to join most (or all?) other sports except football. They want to remain independent for football. With the expansion of the playoffs inevitable, they are even more unlikely to join a conference for football. They will able to qualify for the playoffs quite easily as an independent, at least based on their recent record of success. If it were a 12 team playoff field this year they would've been in.

I understand and know all of your above arguments and statements. I was just talking about which conference, ACC or Big 10, might be a better fit for NDame in football. I think the Big 10 for a lot of reasons but I bet NDame would go to the ACC because they think they would have a chance to have better seasons and more wins there. I was being sarcastic which is why I was comparing the travel distance and the long, long time rivalries that NDame already has built up with Big 10 teams.

Latest posts