Am I alone here

More aggressive than historically. But reps with all backups, 3rd string TE, and a running play with 5th string walk on rb... not sure that's running it up.

Haven't we wanted meaningful reps for backups...since...forever.

Does it have a dual benefit for BF, sure. But personally, I want meaningful and real prep reps by backups. Seeing a couple good throws from Hill was nice to see...imo.

More aggressive than historically. But reps with all backups, 3rd string TE, and a running play with 5th string walk on rb... not sure that's running it up.

Haven't we wanted meaningful reps for backups...since...forever.

Does it have a dual benefit for BF, sure. But personally, I want meaningful and real prep reps by backups. Seeing a couple good throws from Hill was nice to see...imo.
Umm…the starting qb (with injury concerns) was throwing the ball with a big lead, deep into the 4th quarter. The backup continued throwing & pushing hard to tack on

Umm…the starting qb (with injury concerns) was throwing the ball with a big lead, deep into the 4th quarter. The backup continued throwing & pushing hard to tack on
I thought the thread was about the last few minutes of the game, when our 2nd, 3rd string was in and getting reps.

scored 10 points in the 4th qtr, a fg and a 1 yard run by a 5th string walkon.

The outrage is a bit overstated imo.

Not outraged at all. Just an observation
Not referring to you Iceman. You are 100% correct the contract may have influenced it.

In that situation, with deep backups in, not sure why folks have an issue. The whole last drive, with backups getting meaningful plays and reps, is what these kind of games are for.

As far as scoring, it's a dive play, again with deep level backups, from the 1. 4th down... go for it or ya either kick fg or purposefully turn over on downs.

The contract makes it a discussion, that I get.

think it's a reflection of nil and transfer portal era. Keeps kids invested and gives them a chance to find out more about their roster not knowing who's going to bolt in a year.

I honestly think it was one part frustration, one part "practice".
My wife made us leave right before they kicked the last field goal, so I didn't see the last drive.

Had this been game 1, I think the 4th quarter would have looked different. I think the running backs were feeling it for the first time for the first time in over a year. McNamara either ain't that good or needs as much time as he can get on their field with these guys

Williams deserved a rest.

O-line: B-
Mcnamara: C
Defense: B-
Special teams: A (despite the missed FG). They scored 2 points and Taylor had some sticks.
Williams: A
Other backs: A-
Brain: D+

If they win next week, I'll come and change all these to As. Starting with Brain's

Edit: bumped defense up to a B-. They got torched more than they should have. But the fumble was big. Also the sack and fumblenout of bounds setup the 2 points for the special teams.

Last edited:
think it's a reflection of nil and transfer portal era. Keeps kids invested and gives them a chance to find out more about their roster not knowing who's going to bolt in a yea

I thought it was refreshing to see Iowa try to score. They need the reps
Every situation the kids are on the field they should be aloud to excel. I think KF trying to always be the good guy gets in the way.

I honestly think it was one part frustration, one part "practice".
My wife made us leave right before they kicked the last field goal, so I didn't see the last drive.

Had this been game 1, I think the 4th quarter would have looked different. I think the running backs were feeling it for the first time for the first time in over a year. McNamara either ain't that good or needs as much time as he can get on their field with these guys

Williams deserved a rest.

O-line: B-
Mcnamara: C
Defense: B-
Special teams: A (despite the missed FG). They scored 2 points and Taylor had some sticks.
Williams: A
Other backs: A-
Brain: D+

If they win next week, I'll come and change all these to As. Starting with Brain's

Edit: bumped defense up to a B-. They got torched more than they should have. But the fumble was big. Also the sack and fumblenout of bounds setup the 2 points for the special teams.
I agree with most of your grades but D+ for BF? He has sucked at his job and we all know that but I have to give credit where credit it due. I thought the screen pass TD was a great call. He called another screen pass later that had about a mile of green grass in front of Leshun Williams that he took his eye off the ball and dropped. Another good call. In general, he stuck with the run for the most part of the game and why wouldn't he? It was working well.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on what you thought was a poor day for him.

While it may or may not be true (Iowa running it up to save a job)...

The perception-stench is going to be with us all year.

Latest posts