All-Time Starting 5 on a budget

tm3308

Interesting article on BHGP. You get $15 to pick a starting five, with five choices at each position ranging from $5 to $1. Who you got?

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...762416/choose-your-iowa-hoops-all-time-lineup

For my money, I'm going:

PG- Lester ($5).
SG- Devyn Marble ($1).
SF- Settles ($2)
PF- Chris Street ($3)
C- Stokes ($4)

I figure you get two positions to spend big on, and PG and center are the two spots I think are the most important. It's tempting to go for Roy Sr. and/or Fred Brown, but SG/SF look like the two deepest positions with real bargains at the $1/$2 prices. PG was also deep, but that's not a position I would want to skimp on.

5-Lester
1-Roy Dev Marble
5-Marble
3-Street
1-Hansen (cheap rim protector)

This was hard..

Woolridge, marble, marble, brunner, hansen....
or
BJ, marble, marble, horton, earl... if i had one more dollar I would swap BJ and Andre

I gave some serious thought to going with Lester, Devyn, Johnson, Horton and Earl. Center is really the only spot that's a little thin; I feel like you've got to budget to take either Earl or Stokes there. But you can hardly go wrong at the other positions (although I feel like Kingsbury is a little overpriced).

5$- Ronnie Lester- the best
3$- Sam Williams- very surprised he's not priced higher
3$- John Johnson- also very surprised he's not priced higher
1$- Ed Horton- he'll be active and clean up what the above don't put in the hole
3$- Kevin Kunnert- the only center in the group that had a significant NBA career (9 seasons)

Can I just buy 5 Les Jepsens at $2/Jeppy ($10 total) and sneak $5 worth of beer into Carver?

5$- Ronnie Lester- the best
3$- Sam Williams- very surprised he's not priced higher
3$- John Johnson- also very surprised he's not priced higher
1$- Ed Horton- he'll be active and clean up what the above don't put in the hole
3$- Kevin Kunnert- the only center in the group that had a significant NBA career (9 seasons)

This is pretty much the right answer.

I went:

BJ
Williams
Johnson
Horton
Stokes

But Ronnie is pretty much irreplaceable. Anybody who doesn't have both Williams and Johnson at $3 is an absolute fool.

Have to go with Uncle hawk. Lester was a great college PG. JJ and Super Sam have to be on especially at $3. Williams was a one man team and at 6'3" led the big ten in rebounding in addition to being a great scorer. Best combination after that I go with Horton and Kunnert. Would have liked to have AC on but just too much money!

Basabe $1
Basabe $1
Basabe $1
Basabe $1
Basabe $1

2 hot n ready pizzas

No body can stop a team of Basabes with halftime pizza pizza

I am not old enough to know much about some of those guys, so I would go

Woolridge: (first pick) $4
Haluska: $2
Settles: (the first 6 years, not the 2nd 6 years) $2
Street: $3
Stokes: $4

Where is the rest of the 81 team? I want Vince Brookins. One of my favorites.
Since I cant, here is my team:

Lester- $5 All time Best
Marble- $1 Oh well, needed to save money
Johnson- $3 Never saw him play. But heard great things
Horton- $1 Rebopunding is all I need
Earl- $5 Love me some Acie.

BJ
Marble (Dev)
Nelson
Street
Stokes

Edit - Nelson was a 2 time All-American averaging 21.1 and 10.5. I built my team around Nelson and Street. Lester was special but can't go wrong taking Woolridge or Armstrong. Dev was a value pick. Stokes is solid. I like this team on both ends of the floor.

Last edited:
I'm 29 so I have a disadvantage of not seeing/rememberin a lot of the guys so I'll go with a team of guys I at least remember somewhat.

Oliver $1
Haluska $2
Jess Settles $3
Street $3
Earl $5

To be honest I don't like Settles as the 3 but other than White, I don't remember the others.

I suppose it shouldn't be, but the fact that 50s/60s/70s Iowa basketball is so thoroughly forgotten is amazing to me. Now, I'm 34, and I'll admit it took some research to bring myself up to speed, but the fact that the athletic department doesn't do more to glamorize 68-70 in particular is odd. Having Johnson/Williams/Brown/King so thoroughly underrated is telling. You'd think we'd have started playing ball in 1980...whereas in reality the past 25 years have been the decline of Iowa hoops.

Last edited:

Latest posts