All-Time Starting 5 of Native Iowans

RobHowe

Administrator
I saw the topic on Twitter and found it interesting. What’s your starting five of all time native Iowans?

Here’s a list of guys off the top of my head:

Ryan Bowen, Bobby Hansen, Chris Street, Jess Settles, Dean Oliver, Nick Collison, Kirk Hinrich, Ricky Davis, Harrison Barnes, Doug McDermott, Fred Hoiberg, Adam Haluska, Jeff Horner, Murray Wier, Joe Wieskamp, Greg Brunner, Glen Worley, Jarrod Uthoff, Peter Jok, Kyle Korver, Raef LaFrentz, Matt Bullard, Marcus Paige, Kevin Kunnert, Matt Gatens, Al Lorenzen, Loren Meyer, Gary Thompson.

Interesting.

Assuming an actual roster with positions, I'd go with this:

G: Davis
G/F: Barnes
G: Hinrich
F: Street
F: Collison

A lot of tough calls here.

Man , that's close to mission impossible chosing from that line up , Chris Street - Kyle Korver - Kirk Hinrich - Harrison Barnes - Ricky Davis , lots of other inter changeable options from this group , Great thread !

I guess I should probably choose mine since I started the thread. :)

Hinrich
Hansen
Collison
Barnes
LaFrentz

If I'm creating a NBA team then I'm going with these native Iowans:

PG - Kirk Hinrich
SG - Bobby Hansen
SF - Harrison Barnes
PF - Raef LaFrentz
C - Kevin Kunnert

You guys are insane not to include McDermott. The guy is statistically one of Top 5 best college offensive basketball players ever, let alone Iowa.

It is sad how few of these great names actually played at Iowa. Sigh....

Scratch Ricky Davis. He's not a native Iowan. Born in Las Vegas, lived in Chicago as a kid and moved to Davenport in 7th grade.

Dick Ives from Diagonal should be on the list, he was an All American during his playing days in Iowa city in the 40s.

To help the discussion or maybe to help complicate it here are the native Iowans that scored 1500 or more points in their collegiate careers:

Doug McDermott 3150
Nick Collison 2097
Raef LaFrentz 2066
Randy Kraayenbrink 2004
Fred Hoiberg 1993
Adam Haluska 1847
Marcus Paige 1844
Kyle Korver 1801
Nate Funk 1754
Kirk Hinrich 1753
Seth Tuttle 1733
Matt Gatens 1635
Jess Settles 1611
Dean Oliver 1561
Greg Brunner 1516
Peter Jok 1508
Jeff Horner 1502

Last edited:
OK, here's mine:

PG Paige - he did have a great career at NC
SG Ives - one of the first to shoot the jump shot as the game transitioned from set shot
C Kunnert - rebounding machine, went on to a good NBA career
SF McDermott - hard to ignore his 3000 plus pints
PF LaFrentz - great career at Kansas

Most Inspirational - Chris Street

Last edited:
All Hawkeye

G: Dean Oliver
G: Bob Hansen
F: Jess Settles
F: Chris Street
C: Kevin Kunnert

Tough calls: Bowen, Uthoff, Davis

Now, if I were to adhere strictly to the rules established, my list would be different, but I am thinking black and gold, and even then, I find it hard to consider Davis a true Hawkeye given his short term. I would have really liked to see him and Oliver together a few more years............I really enjoyed Bowen's play as well as Uthoff when he came into his own.

To help the discussion or maybe to help complicate it here are the native Iowans that scored 15000 or more points in their collegiate careers:

Doug McDermott 3150
Nick Collison 2097
Raef LaFrentz 2066
Randy Kraayenbrink 2004
Fred Hoiberg 1993
Adam Haluska 1847
Marcus Paige 1844
Kyle Korver 1801
Nate Funk 1754
Kirk Hinrich 1753
Seth Tuttle 1733
Matt Gatens 1635
Jess Settles 1611
Dean Oliver 1561
Greg Brunner 1516
Peter Jok 1508
Jeff Horner 1502
Thanks for making my point Z. McDermott was a scoring machine and was a terror on the boards for a guy his size.

G--Dean Oliver
G--Bobby Hansen
F--Ryan Bowen
F--Chris Street
F--Jess Settles

Honestly, this is more of a list of my favorites. If you don't agree with my choices, you're wrong. ;)

You guys are insane not to include McDermott. The guy is statistically one of Top 5 best college offensive basketball players ever, let alone Iowa.

It is sad how few of these great names actually played at Iowa. Sigh....

I didn't consider him because he was born in North Dakota, I did a search of "native" Iowans that have played in the NBA. But if I'm building a NBA team including him then he still doesn't crack my starting 5.

Now if you are doing top 5 college players then the team looks different and McDermott would absolutely be included.

Latest posts