All the negativity...

I once had a boss who was fond of saying, "There was only one perfect human being and he got crucified for it.". It seems this board has become nothing more than a Sanhedrin. Threads are started directed to Jon Miller, who is assumed to be someone on the level of Pontius Pilate. No one escapes the wrath of the Hawkeye Nation Sanhedrin; players, coaches, positive fans, the athletic department, and on and on. I think we all need to be reminded that none of us are perfect in our endeavors. To expect perfection from something as complex as college football is being unrealistic. Yet some try.

When has being positive and just hoping for a positive outcome ever achieved anything? If these fans don't express their displeasure with what has become of this very well funded program then nothing will ever change. Does anyone seriously think changes would be made if everyone just clapped and yelled "Let's Go Hawks."?

When has being positive and just hoping for a positive outcome ever achieved anything? If these fans don't express their displeasure with what has become of this very well funded program then nothing will ever change. Does anyone seriously think changes would be made if everyone just clapped and yelled "Let's Go Hawks."?

You guys can be such dough heads at times... LOL

No one... as in NO ONE... has said that we should all sit around clapping
and yelling "GO HAWKS!" No one is wearing any rose colored glasses or
acting like Pollyanna...

What some of us are saying is that the level of vitriol and outright hatred
expressed in these threads is immature and downright ridiculous. Is it really
not possible to offer legitimate criticism without being a 2nd rate drama queen?

I guess it's a sign of the times... the coarsening of society... it's a damn shame.

You're all probably a lot smarter than you sometimes appear to be when posting here... God help us if you aren't.

I stood by Ferentz way too long. I made a huge mistake. He's lost his damn mind and now this program is ****. I used to subscribe to the theory that he was a good person..if he really was he'd step away from the program. But he won't. He just keeps collecting millions upon millions. He could live 10 lifetimes and never spend the money he's made.

Paul Rhoads is one of the worst coaches in the entire nation. I don't know if there is another school in a power conference that would actually hire this pile of crap. But, he's better than Ferentz.

The original poster talked about negativity? Yeah, there is nothing about this program that isn't negative. Guys like Beathard, Willies, and Powell actually have talent and might have had successful careers if they hadn't made the stupid mistake of playing for Ferentz. If I had a blue chip or even somewhat talented kid...no way would I want him anywhere near a Ferentz coached team right now.

Boo. Freakin. Hoo.

The booing is only addressed for the coaches. They're the only ones in charge, they're the only ones that can make any sort of substantial or tactical change. Unless of course the players aren't giving their all (which I'd never believe), in that case they'd deserve to be booed as well.

How about this, instead of focusing on what I do as a fan, you focus on your job. That goes for Rob and the players. I'm not preventing the team from scoring, I'm not preventing the coaches from making adjustments, and I'm not losing them games. That's being decided on the field (where we're not allowed as fans, remember).

I once had a boss who was fond of saying, "There was only one perfect human being and he got crucified for it.". It seems this board has become nothing more than a Sanhedrin. Threads are started directed to Jon Miller, who is assumed to be someone on the level of Pontius Pilate. No one escapes the wrath of the Hawkeye Nation Sanhedrin; players, coaches, positive fans, the athletic department, and on and on. I think we all need to be reminded that none of us are perfect in our endeavors. To expect perfection from something as complex as college football is being unrealistic. Yet some try.

Sanhedrin? Really? Never seen that mentioned on a sports forum. Impressive sir.

He is respected...and for good reasons.

But the opinions of his ability as a Head Coach have also shifted significantly over the last 4 years. (I think the Wisconsin game of 2010 is as good a turning point to mark this, as any). The bloom is off the rose for more than just petulant Iowa fans... you can read it and hear it if you listen to enough pundits. And you can bet there are more that don't say it publicly.

Fair enough, I will buy most of that. But I think a lot of his Legacy will be written by what happens in the next 2-4 years.

If any football player is happy or okay with going 5-2 with this schedule, then we need more competitive players on the team.

So then we should lie? Everyone should be making topics about how dynamic our offense is and how amazing this team is playing, led of course by the ultimate outside the box thinker Kirk Ferentz?

The board does not hurt recruiting, watching Iowa play hurts recruiting. We have not produced a star offensive skill player since Shonn Greene, that is 6 ****ing year ago. They can watch the WRs struggle to get open all day and get rewarded with 2 targets thrown within 5 yards of the line. They can watch a QB who tries to open things up get benched in favor of a less skilled QB because he doesn't take chances. What HS QB says to himself, "I want to check down 20 times a game, I hope I go someplace who doesn't let me throw it deep."? Answer, nobody.

BINGO!

Anyone think that this forum is in a vacuum? Players see it, hear it, read it. And you can bet when a WR recruit hears someone say, "why would any WR prospect consider Iowa" the stop and think. All of this, over time is corrosive to the program.

Yea yea yea.... it does have some impact on those inside the locker room and those being recruited.

Just say'n read this article http://iowa.scout.com/story/1472062...e&hootPostID=95c3dd97a635908e6f8614419603f308

And now....let it come.

I think Iowa football does enough negative recruiting itself.

Your first sentence is correct, of course. Your analogy fails since it was the Sanhedrin that did everything possible to maintain their position in power. The fans of HawkeyeNation are not the ones in the position of power. To use your analogy more accurately the Sanhedrin would consist of Iowa Administration, Barta, Ferentz, et al in the AD, because they want to keep their jobs/power.

Anyone think that this forum is in a vacuum? Players see it, hear it, read it. And you can bet when a WR recruit hears someone say, "why would any WR prospect consider Iowa" the stop and think. All of this, over time is corrosive to the program.

Yea yea yea.... it does have some impact on those inside the locker room and those being recruited.

Just say'n read this article http://iowa.scout.com/story/1472062...e&hootPostID=95c3dd97a635908e6f8614419603f308

And now....let it come.

NC, if I was a top skill position recruit, I'd look at MW as the starting tb, KMM as the (almost) all time receptions leader and JR the starting QB as reasons to avoid Iowa, more so, than message boards.

And now....let it come.

And now...some perspective. Iowa has had two coaches since 1979. There isn't a more patient and loyal fanbase anywhere. The negativity is warranted, by the way.

Michigan is going to be a part of the coach of the month club. Perspective. Texas got shut out today.

And now....let it come.

2 points.

1. A wide receiver recruit or any recruit for that matter doesn't need to read any of these forums to realize how messed up this program is. They can see it for themselves just fine.

2. My dollar contributions to Iowa which excludes hotels, food and merchandise total about $1,500 annually. While not that much I'll *****, moan and complain all I want to.

With that said, all though I'm likely to stop paying this much money next year, I'll still be negative when it's called for as I've followed Iowa sports since 1972. And that is much longer then KF has been with the program. I reserve this right until Jon pulls the plug on me.

Hayden Fry, win or lose, spoiled us with a brand of football that was fun to watch during his time as coach. He was on the front end of being innovative in my opinion during his time. KF's philosophy on both sides of the ball is stuck somewhere in the 70's. It has become difficult to watch. I personally don't even get mad anymore. Sadly and I sincerely mean sadly, I laugh at some of the stuff KF coached teams do.

Last edited:
I'm just catching up to this thread, so I may not include all the cogent points so far. But to jump in:

I've seen this Iowa team do many things on offense and defense the last few years that makes me wonder where the Hawkeyes I knew have gone. Strange spread offense, much more risk taking on defense. So in many ways I don't know if the game has passed these coaches by, its that they bit into the trends and ran to a world they didn't know.

Before you spear me - one thing that has gone to the toilet has been play calling. If me and my Madden 2015 PS4 game planning can see it coming, its bad.

I took a beating on this thread. Oh well. Good thing about being a poster rather than a paid beat reporter is I can change my mind multiple times a day.

2 points.

1. A wide receiver recruit or any recruit for that matter doesn't need to read any of these forums to realize how messed up this program is. They can see it for themselves just fine.

2. My dollar contributions to Iowa which excludes hotels, food and merchandise total about $1,500 annually. While not that much I'll *****, moan and complain all I want to.

With that said, all though I'm likely to stop paying this much money next year, I'll still be negative when it's called for as I've followed Iowa sports since 1972. And that is much longer then KF has been with the program. I reserve this right until Jon pulls the plug on me.

Hayden Fry, win or lose, spoiled us with a brand of football that was fun to watch during his time as coach. He was on the front end of being innovative in my opinion during his time. KF's philosophy on both sides of the ball is stuck somewhere in the 70's. It has become difficult to watch. I personally don't even get mad anymore. Sadly and I sincerely mean sadly, I laugh at some of the stuff KF coached teams do.
Oh yeah, sometimes you just have to laugh.

I took a beating on this thread. Oh well. Good thing about being a poster rather than a paid beat reporter is I can change my mind multiple times a day.

I don't think too much of the negativity was directed at the players as much as it was towards the coaching staff. The offense is totally non-inoventive and boring to watch. To watch that style offense is difficult enough but to watch it in a losing cause is cruel and unusual punishment.

ive always tried to be supportive of the coaching staffs and the players and always expressed that on both forums. My golden rule is to exclude bad talk towards the players. Coaches are paid millions of dollars but because they are human they are entitled to make a mistake here and there. When bad trends start to develop then "Houston we have a problem."

I had seen enough of Steve Alford at the end of his fourth year along with a few other posters. How ever there were some who wanted to give him more time. Some of those jumped ship by the end of Steve's sixth season and even the most supportive fans had, had enough the year he was let go. We had gone from a coach, Mr. Davis, who would finish in the top five of the conference and get us into the tournament on a regular basis, to a coach who finished an average of seventh or eighth place in the conference and sitting on the couch watching the tournament rather than playing in it.

Among most die hard sports fans is an desire to be a champion or at least compete at that level. We knew Mr. Davis's teams would be competitive but not Big Ten championship competive and the decision was made to try to change that. It was an utter failure and made the next two coaching decisions look very bad. It also made Tom look a lot better than many gave him credit for.

So here we are now in a similar situation with KF with the exception in that Mr. Davis's teams never really tanked to the equivalent of a 6-6 season. Do we bite the bullet and buy KF out or continue to hope that we can work through this bad spell. We have seen once great programs struggle, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, USC, and now Michigan. All these great programs had down years and in some cases several years. Many coaches have come and gone over the years.

With Kirk we can expect anywhere from 6-6 seasons to 9-3 seasons. There are some who may question whether they 9-3 seasons are longer a viable reality. National championships simply are never going to happen under KF as will neither a 2-10 season. I guess it comes down to what satisfies you and the risk involved.

I was around during the pre-Hayden era and I can tell you it was no fun unless you liked to watch the halftime show. Having said that though I am one who believes you should always strive to be the best when it comes to sports, work, and family relationships. I believe in a risk reward philosophy when it comes to sports. Exotic plays, long passes, bring the most rewards but also the greatest risk.

Hayden brought the best of both worlds to our beloved Iowa Hawkeye program. Better than average skilled players who came together as a team and not just as Individual NFL draftees. I want that again in an Iowa uniform and am willing to go through a rebuilding process to get it. This doesn't mean a complete regimes change if KF will hire the right OC and give them total independence to call an open attack offensively, then I would be more patient. if Kirk is going to dig his heals in and refuse to make the changes needed then he needs to go on his way.

Last edited:
I don't think too much of the negativity was directed at the players as much as it was towards the coaching staff. The offense is totally non-inoventive and boring to watch. To watch that style offense is difficult enough but to watch it in a losing cause is cruel and unusual punishment.

ive always tried to be supportive of the coaching staffs and the players and always expressed that on both forums. My golden rule is to exclude bad talk towards the players. Coaches are paid millions of dollars but because they are human they are entitled to make a mistake here and there. When bad trends start to develop then "Houston we have a problem."

I had seen enough of Steve Alford at the end of his fourth year along with a few other posters. How ever there were some who wanted to give him more time. Some of those jumped ship by the end of Steve's sixth season and even the most supportive fans had, had enough the year he was let go. We had gone from a coach, Mr. Davis, who would finish in the top five of the conference and get us into the tournament on a regular basis, to a coach who finished an average of seventh or eighth place in the conference and sitting on the couch watching the tournament rather than playing in it.

Among most die hard sports fans is an desire to be a champion or at least compete at that level. We knew Mr. Davis's teams would be competitive but not Big Ten championship competive and the decision was made to try to change that. It was an utter failure and made the next two coaching decisions look very bad. It also made Tom look a lot better than many gave him credit for.

So here we are now in a similar situation with KF with the exception in that Mr. Davis's teams never really tanked to the equivalent of a 6-6 season. Do we bite the bullet and buy KF out or continue to hope that we can work through this bad spell. We have seen once great programs struggle, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Alabama, USC, and now Michigan. All these great programs had down years and in some cases several years. Many coaches have come and gone over the years.

With Kirk we can expect anywhere from 6-6 seasons to 9-3 seasons. There are some who may question whether they 9-3 seasons are longer a viable reality. National championships simply are never going to happen under KF as will neither a 2-10 season. I guess it comes down to what satisfies you and the risk involved.

I was around during the pre-Hayden era and I can tell you it was no fun unless you liked to watch the halftime show. Having said that though I am one who believes you should always strive to be the best when it comes to sports, work, and family relationships. I believe in a risk reward philosophy when it comes to sports. Exotic plays, long passes, bring the most rewards but also the greatest risk.

Hayden brought the best of both worlds to our beloved Iowa Hawkeye program. Better than average skilled players who came together as a team and not just as Individual NFL draftees. I want that again in an Iowa uniform and am willing to go through a rebuilding process to get it. This doesn't mean a complete regimes change if KF will hire the right OC and give them total independence to call an open attack offensively, then I would be more patient. if Kirk is going to dig his heals in and refuse to make the changes needed then he needs to go on his way.

This is a wonderful post. I wish more people on this board could express themselves in this way.

I have a question for the masses...which one are you?

optimism-pessimism-realism.jpg
I have sampled all three and they taste the same

Latest posts