All the missed shots.

If Zags are the best team in the country I like our chances in the NCAA Tournament. Because we had a chance late despite lots of issues.

Side Note - I don’t think Zags are best team. I don’t think they have any depth...better stay healthy. And they won’t get to play out west most likely.

I think Iowa and other Big 10 teams will benefit from 20 NCAA Tournament caliber games plus conference tournament. I won’t be surprised if multiple Big 10 teams make Final 4.
I can say they would get destroyed in the Big 10 over a 20 game season. Sure they are incredibly talented and fun to watch, but those guys (except Suggs) are all paper thin. I thought Timme would be bigger - he's tiny! They wouldn't be able to deal with the physicality of the B1G.

I can say they would get destroyed in the Big 10 over a 20 game season. Sure they are incredibly talented and fun to watch, but those guys (except Suggs) are all paper thin. I thought Timme would be bigger - he's tiny! They wouldn't be able to deal with the physicality of the B1G.
Had a body like Kevin McCale. I could never understand how that guy was able to dominate the way he did. Must have been iron in those pipe cleaners.

I'm not putting this all on the officials, but apparently there is no 3 second lane violation rule in basketball anymore. You talk about a rule that's gone beyond the wayside. I see it every game, not just the Gonzaga game. In the Zag game though, there were guys that would stand in the lane the entire offensive possession. This rule should really be enforced more as it gives the offense such an advantage and in rebounding to.

I see it in youth sports as well. It really never gets called anymore. I played in the 1980's and it as called quite a bit and players were really cognizant about getting out of the lane and back in. Not anymore.
Its the equivalent of pitch framing in baseball and offensive holding in football.

In baseball's case calling more strikes will theoretically speed the game up. So a home plate umpire will stand right over the catcher's shoulder and let him jerk his glove six to twelve inches.

Offensive holding in football hampers offenses, and theoretically viewership. But refs could call it every other play if they wanted too. Today's offenses should consider themselves lucky its only ten yards. Prior to the 1978 rules changes it was fifteen.

Three second violations would evidently slow the flow the game as well. Plus with people camped out on the arc and more one in, four out offenses the lane isn't as clogged as it used to be anyway. I remember when the three point line was implemented there was also a preliminary study about converting to the trapezoid shaped international lane but that one didn't get very far.

I think fewer fouls are called today, and fewer players foul out. Look at stat lines from when Lute coached here. Everyone had at least three fouls by the end of the game. Lester and Kenny Arnold constantly played with two in the first half. I think the unofficial "Dean Smith Rule" (sit the rest of the half if you pick up your second) helped lead to fewer players fouling out. And refs call fewer because it once again disrupts the flow of the game.

I don’t consider 12-8 a fantastic season. For me 15-5 would be a fantastic season...which I think is very much doable if we stay healthy.
still dont see how this team is better than 12-8 in league play. major weaknesses are not fixable. Giving up 100 to a league bottom feeder shows us once again where we are at.

still dont see how this team is better than 12-8 in league play. major weaknesses are not fixable. Giving up 100 to a league bottom feeder shows us once again where we are at.
It’s too early to know who is a bottom feeder. But we do have to get better. And some of our issues are likely fixable...FT shooting for example. Wisconsin is the only favorite/contender without a loss. I doubt MSU, Illinois and Rutgers are thinking they’re 12-8 teams right now.

I think we gave up like 26 points in the last 5:45 of the game. The rest of the game wasn't too bad.

How do you allow a substitute to come in and drain 8 out of 9 three's, mostly uncontested, off the bench?? Fran: there are other defenses besides the 2-3! Ever heard of a 1-3-1; a box and 1? Man-to-man? So much for our "special season". We're right back in the middle of the pack.

How do you allow a substitute to come in and drain 8 out of 9 three's, mostly uncontested, off the bench?? Fran: there are other defenses besides the 2-3! Ever heard of a 1-3-1; a box and 1? Man-to-man? So much for our "special season". We're right back in the middle of the pack.
Virginia has the #11 defense. Anyone that follows basketball knows they are good every year on defense.

Well they lost 98-75 to Gonzaga on a neutral court. And...Kispert tied a Gonzaga record with 9 three pointers. It happens to the best defensive teams...not just Iowa.

Latest posts