All the missed shots.

HaydenHawk56

How much of this was a combination of nerves, pressing things, and fatigue due to the Gonzaga speed? I think the speed was definitely an issue, but we also seem to forget who are stars on the team are. Nunge shooting the ball for what seemed like the 5th or 6th time in a row in one of those stretches and Garza not having a shot attempt is criminal.

4-22 from deep (18%), missed a dozen FTs. We left a lot of points on the bus. Outrebounded by 12; gave up 18 offensive REBS to them. Those were just added possessions for them. JBo oh for.
The game was lost when both CJ and JW sat out most of the first half with2 fouls each. What did we all think of the refs? Which league were they from?

Silver lining is, even though we (hopefully) had by far the worst shooting performance from both the 3 point and free throw line we will have all season, we STILL were within striking distance at the end to the number one team in the country. Free throws alone cost this game, way more than any defensive deficiencies. Gonzaga is gonna run wild on most teams.

Losing this game may end up doing them more good than had they won, as weird as that sounds. I like our chances in a final four rematch. Suggs won't shoot like that next time, neither will the Hawks.

We have to get better on the perimeter. And we cannot shoot like that again.

I think we can beat this team. And I believe this team can stay focused and win the B1G,

JBo needs to get back on track or we need to start JoeT.

Well, the good thing is that we get Purdue on Tuesday...we always play well against Purdue. LOL. Matt Painter has our guys getting him a glass of wine and a cheese plate every night during the summers...OWNED.

Now we can focus on what the real expectations are for this team. They have a legit shot a sweet 16 and that has not happened in ages. Rebounding loose balls defending the back door is based on heart. We have one guy playing with heart...this is not fixable it is who we are. B10 will toughen us up but 12-8 in conference would be a fantastic season.

Now we can focus on what the real expectations are for this team. They have a legit shot a sweet 16 and that has not happened in ages. Rebounding loose balls defending the back door is based on heart. We have one guy playing with heart...this is not fixable it is who we are. B10 will toughen us up but 12-8 in conference would be a fantastic season.
I don’t consider 12-8 a fantastic season. For me 15-5 would be a fantastic season...which I think is very much doable if we stay healthy.

We have to get better on the perimeter. And we cannot shoot like that again.

I think we can beat this team. And I believe this team can stay focused and win the B1G,

JBo needs to get back on track or we need to start JoeT.
Was thinkin the same thing about Joe T. Can't hand JBo starts - thats living in the past. He's had 1 good shooting game. Just like everyone else, he needs to EARN the right to start. It looks like he should come off the bench FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM.

4-22 from deep (18%), missed a dozen FTs. We left a lot of points on the bus. Outrebounded by 12; gave up 18 offensive REBS to them. Those were just added possessions for them. JBo oh for.
The game was lost when both CJ and JW sat out most of the first half with2 fouls each. What did we all think of the refs? Which league were they from?
They swallowed their whistles in the first half, Gonzaga was grabbing and holding off of every screen it seemed, especially pick and rolls. I thought they called a good game in the 2nd half at least, wish they would have started in the first half

They swallowed their whistles in the first half, Gonzaga was grabbing and holding off of every screen it seemed, especially pick and rolls. I thought they called a good game in the 2nd half at least, wish they would have started in the first half

I'm not putting this all on the officials, but apparently there is no 3 second lane violation rule in basketball anymore. You talk about a rule that's gone beyond the wayside. I see it every game, not just the Gonzaga game. In the Zag game though, there were guys that would stand in the lane the entire offensive possession. This rule should really be enforced more as it gives the offense such an advantage and in rebounding to.

I see it in youth sports as well. It really never gets called anymore. I played in the 1980's and it as called quite a bit and players were really cognizant about getting out of the lane and back in. Not anymore.

This is it.

If we had made more three's and two more foul shots we would have been in the game to win. That is it. Yeah we can talk about the poor defense, the poor rebounding offensive and defensive, the passiveness, the nerves, the psychological intimidation, and lack of speed. Yes some of those issues may be overcome. But the bottom line is we are an offensive team. We need more proficient scoring, we need to set better screens to get better looks, shoot better then 18 percent from three and have a better foul shooting percentage.

When you look at the game despite all our poor play on defense we were still within striking distance at the end. We need to have our offense be more consistent in getting open looks throughout the game. Fran needs to retool the offense a bit because a great defensive team like Gonzaga made our offense look shut down.

I get the logic, but getting the opportunity to play the top rated team in the country prepares you for a sweet 16, elite 8 or final 4 trip. Sure the season isn't over losing to those guys, but at the same time, I'd say that one of the "real expectations" for a team making a deep tourney run was probably winning that game. If they're as good as they think they are (and they believe they are) and a legitimate top 5 team, then IMO the goal and focus of the entire nonconference schedule was to win that game. If this is truly a sweet 16 team then I'm not sure how going 12-8 in conference play makes for a fantastic season. It'd be nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't see us making a deep run in March if we end up going 12-8 in conference play.

I'm not putting this all on the officials, but apparently there is no 3 second lane violation rule in basketball anymore. You talk about a rule that's gone beyond the wayside. I see it every game, not just the Gonzaga game. In the Zag game though, there were guys that would stand in the lane the entire offensive possession. This rule should really be enforced more as it gives the offense such an advantage and in rebounding to.

I see it in youth sports as well. It really never gets called anymore. I played in the 1980's and it as called quite a bit and players were really cognizant about getting out of the lane and back in. Not anymore.
I was going absolutely crazy over the 10 to 15 seconds in the lane. Ridiculous!

Also, and I have been saying this a lot over the last few weeks that giving up so many offensive rebounds really hurts a team no matter how good or bad their opponent is. Like you said they are added possessions with multiple chances to score off missed shots which lead to second chance points.

Was thinkin the same thing about Joe T. Can't hand JBo starts - thats living in the past. He's had 1 good shooting game. Just like everyone else, he needs to EARN the right to start. It looks like he should come off the bench FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM.

Joe T is the catalyst on the 2nd team and those guys play off his energy. I agree that he's outplaying JBo, but I don't think the 2nd team can trade baskets or even pull away when the starters are resting, with Joe T resting with the starters. I'm not saying bench JBo, but I don't see him as the high energy guy the 2nd unit needs. I think the answer doesn't have to be benching JBo, but rather less minutes while increasing Joe T's minutes coming off the bench.

I was going absolutely crazy over the 10 to 15 seconds in the lane. Ridiculous!

I agree but it is what it is...We have the best low post player in the nation, if they aren't calling it we have to adjust our game and have him set up shot in there as well.

If Zags are the best team in the country I like our chances in the NCAA Tournament. Because we had a chance late despite lots of issues.

Side Note - I don’t think Zags are best team. I don’t think they have any depth...better stay healthy. And they won’t get to play out west most likely.

I think Iowa and other Big 10 teams will benefit from 20 NCAA Tournament caliber games plus conference tournament. I won’t be surprised if multiple Big 10 teams make Final 4.