All the hawks are contributing

uihawk82

It is great after the last two years of Lick ball to actually be nervous about games.

Hey, I stayed up until midnite in 1964 or so to listen to Zabel call the Hawks upset over UCLA I think at old Chicago Stadium, I was nervous then and nervous yesterday.

Watching the last 5 B1G games it is clear that the hawks are playing hard and all are contributing. We have two very good freshman guards who scored 21 points with only 1 TO and a few assists and 7 rebounds. (if Fran can recruit guys that put gesell and clemmons on the bench then this team is really back). I hope woodbury can start absorbing the bumps on his shots and get a few to drop but he is playing well.

White and Marble are playing at a high level and Basabe is being clutch. I think we see some of the others as more role players but they are making some key contributions.

Go hawks.

I agree with what you are saying, think about this though. Gesell/Clemmons are just going to get better, some of those shots Mike missed to start the second half will fall next season and maybe later this season.

Funny you mention if Fran can recruit guys that will put either one on the bench, I just had a discussion with my wife about this. I can't see Fran going away from it anytime soon. Both are comfortable with or without the ball in their hands.

Gesell's shot looks good and his 3-pt % will improve as he works on it this offseason. I don't think you will see Fran starting freshman again anytime soon, unless they are just that good.

I agree with what you are saying, think about this though. Gesell/Clemmons are just going to get better, some of those shots Mike missed to start the second half will fall next season and maybe later this season.

Funny you mention if Fran can recruit guys that will put either one on the bench, I just had a discussion with my wife about this. I can't see Fran going away from it anytime soon. Both are comfortable with or without the ball in their hands.

Gesell's shot looks good and his 3-pt % will improve as he works on it this offseason. I don't think you will see Fran starting freshman again anytime soon, unless they are just that good.

I agree with the first bolded text. I started a thread last week that I think gesell can get his shots and needs to get more shots. He was easily getting his shot of those curl cuts yesterday to start the second half. Maybe he was a little amped up as he was getting some back iron it seemed.

And I am complimenting Gesell and Clemmons, I think they are very good, that block by clemmons was awesome and they had great stats. I guess what I was trying to say is that Fran. with his playing backgroudn and playing style, might be able to persuade some more really great guards to play at Iowa. I think we are in great hands with gesell and clemmons but if others beat them out then WOW, what does that say.

I agree with the first bolded text. I started a thread last week that I think gesell can get his shots and needs to get more shots. He was easily getting his shot of those curl cuts yesterday to start the second half. Maybe he was a little amped up as he was getting some back iron it seemed.

And I am complimenting Gesell and Clemmons, I think they are very good, that block by clemmons was awesome and they had great stats. I guess what I was trying to say is that Fran. with his playing backgroudn and playing style, might be able to persuade some more really great guards to play at Iowa. I think we are in great hands with gesell and clemmons but if others beat them out then WOW, what does that say.

I know you are complimenting them and I think things open up for them more as they each work on their shots. I like the elbow jumper from Clemmons as well, he made 2 of 3 yesterday, and yes that block was great. When I saw Clemmons in high school, his ability to get off the ground quick and very high was impressive, I was excited after seeing him play.

Each compliments the other very, very well and Iowa has three cornerstones, including Woodbury, for the remainder of this year and three more after it, life is good.

If Iowa gets someone to come in and put one of them on the bench, yeah, they have to be special.

I think Mike G is already getting over his slump. He is starting to hit shots that wouldn't fall earlier.....

He is gradually getting back into a shooting groove and was a factor with the rest of the team, everyone, in the win over the badgers.....

He and Clemmons work very well together and seem to know instinstively where the other is. It is very nice to have three point/shooting guards on the floor at the same time, although Clemmons seems to be mainly a point guard. It makes things difficult for the opponent. When Jok comes it, we will be a force to contend with.....

:)

One of these guys IS eventually going to the bench most likely. Not because of a lack of ability, but just to bring in more of a traditional 2, great shooter and longer, and because each could play back-up at the 1.

The extent to which Mike can gain strength and develop as a defender and Clemons can develop as a scorer will determine who starts the game on the court.

Let me help you..

The rest of this year could get really fun..

-and-

Next year WILL BE REALLY FUN!!!

This! We have 15+ games left this season. Fran has all the pieces put together. We just need to shoot the ball to our potential. This team CAN shoot better, we have in the past. Once that starts to happen, and it will, then we will have some fun!

One of the things that has impressed me about Fran is his ability to find and recruit the overlooked players like White and Clemmons while still landing big names like Woodbury and Gesell. Then next year they flip May for Jok and Uthoff along with Meyer coming off a red shirt. Fran has built a pretty damn good team here and it is only going to get better.

What a turn of events with the Iowa basketball program, under Lick we went from a handful of players to now a full roster with legit talent. Players like Olaseni and Ingram would have had significant roles on a Lick team, on this team they fight for minutes.

Really Oglesby and to an extent Woodbury are the only two that havn't been producing alot scoring wise. Now I'm not bashing either one for it. I just thought coming in both of them would be having more of an impact game in and game out then they have. Woodbury struggling doesn't surprise me as much. It's almost too bad he couldn't have redshirted. 3 yrs from now he'll be a tough guy to handle. Oglesby was supposed to be the guy who stretched the D but he just hasn't gotten hot yet. Not sure if it's the sporadic mins he's had or if because he's not the quickest guy that he's easy to guard and close out on. But it's hard to complain of where the team is for sure and both those guys I think will close out the year strong

Woody is contributing more than I anticipated as a true frosh and watching him in high school. All I want out of him is defense and rebounding. When he can adjust to the speed of the game and it slows down for him he will start finishing in the offensive end.

Gesell came in with a reputation of being a great outside shooter and we have seen that at times. Tonight would be a good time to have one of those "UNI" games where he is hitting the three with regularity.

I think our Freshmen have all been great. Mike Gesell is getting better and better, Woody plays solid D and is a great rebounder, Sapp plays great D and is getting better on the Offensive end. We may or may not get to the NCAA's this year, but next year Iowa will be in the Top 5 in the conference.

I think our Freshmen have all been great. Mike Gesell is getting better and better, Woody plays solid D and is a great rebounder, Sapp plays great D and is getting better on the Offensive end. We may or may not get to the NCAA's this year, but next year Iowa will be in the Top 5 in the conference.

I love his D and when he pulls up between the free throw line and three point line and they leave him open and he hits that jumper, that is smooth.

Latest posts