All of a sudden, CJ's series makes complete sense to me...

this is all great and everything, but what happens when the 2nd team comes in running this offensive scheme and looks better than the 1st team offense again... ya no controversy here

'and the fickle fan base now has reason to think the 3 pass history of the backup is better than the 94 pass view of the starter with a fourth quarter comeback from oblivion to his credit.' It creates controversy if CJ comes in and starts slinging it all over the place.

I thought CJ had room to run on a few of the zone reads. It looked to me like keeping the ball was not an option.

So do we see CJ in the ISU game for a series or two again to run the "special package"?

As with most gameplans, it's dependent upon the flow of the game.

But, I think there's a good chance for it early if the offense sputters on its first possession, though I expect Canzeri will be the primary ball carrier if it is run this week. It's not a bad package to use this week since PA off of the zone read is devastating if the defense is selling out to stop the run. With CJ's arm, I think it's a great utilization of his skill-set.

I thought CJ had room to run on a few of the zone reads. It looked to me like keeping the ball was not an option.

On the 2nd or third run (I forget...I haven't re-watched that series in a few days), it looked like he considered keeping it but handed it off to Parker anyway for a minimal gain. Assuming this is something they've been practicing since spring...it'll take some time to get a feel for how to run it effectively. Good news is that CJ doesn't lack confidence. I still laugh at him calling his own number on the naked boot against Purdue to run up the score. That's ballsy.

As with most gameplans, it's dependent upon the flow of the game.

But, I think there's a good chance for it early if the offense sputters on its first possession, though I expect Canzeri will be the primary ball carrier if it is run this week. It's not a bad package to use this week since PA off of the zone read is devastating if the defense is selling out to stop the run. With CJ's arm, I think it's a great utilization of his skill-set.

I hope we see it.... i think there is a huge benefit to it.

It allows CJ to get some work in a game. I think nearly everyone agrees, he has more potential than jake so getting him some experience is not a bad thing (well unless he starts turning the ball over).

It forces the D to prepare for something else.

It reminds me a bit of the way the Florida Gators used Chris Leak.

And it's called: the zone read package. This spring, Ferentz. & Co. mentioned that they were toying with ways of getting CJ on the field. This is the result of that talk.

Ferentz / Davis put CJ in so he could run a zone read package with Parker at RB (I mean, why else would they sub in a 5th string back with the 2nd string QB unless it was a special package they had been practicing?). CJ is much more of the running QB mold thank Jake, Parker is a shifty back who also fits the zone read mold, and this is a running package that Davis has loved for years. I don't think it's mystifying at all as to why CJ got a series to try this out early in the game, and why Parker was brought in...this was simply a test run for something Davis may go to throughout the year to give defenses something else to plan for. I don't think CJ is going to overtake Rudock. I don't think CJ was put in to give Rudock something to think about. It's just a new wrinkle, and personally, it's a great idea if you have a backup QB who can run it. Also, it protects Jake...because Jake running the zone read is just asking for trouble.

very astute observation and I'm pretty sure you are correct re: zone read package with CJB and Parker.

KF has said going back to last year it makes the opponent prepare for something else, making us a tad more, dare I say? unpredictable!

And it's called: the zone read package. This spring, Ferentz. & Co. mentioned that they were toying with ways of getting CJ on the field. This is the result of that talk.

Ferentz / Davis put CJ in so he could run a zone read package with Parker at RB (I mean, why else would they sub in a 5th string back with the 2nd string QB unless it was a special package they had been practicing?). CJ is much more of the running QB mold thank Jake, Parker is a shifty back who also fits the zone read mold, and this is a running package that Davis has loved for years. I don't think it's mystifying at all as to why CJ got a series to try this out early in the game, and why Parker was brought in...this was simply a test run for something Davis may go to throughout the year to give defenses something else to plan for. I don't think CJ is going to overtake Rudock. I don't think CJ was put in to give Rudock something to think about. It's just a new wrinkle, and personally, it's a great idea if you have a backup QB who can run it. Also, it protects Jake...because Jake running the zone read is just asking for trouble.

Nice post. I think this was actually discussed last year in one of the threads as a way to play two QBs. A major downfall of playing two QBs is the timing with the WRs and RBs so, in order to minimize this disadvantage, CJ learns the timing with a specific group. This minimizes or eliminates this disadvantage and adds a big advantage since the defense will see two offenses with different strengths. I like it.

Last edited:
This could be a nice wrinkle, at the very least you bring them in at the end of halves and make the defense burn a time out then just bring Ruddock back out. When you have been as vanilla as Iowa all these years this stuff really throws off other teams who I assume get a little lazy on film study before they play us.

Very astute analysis, biasedHawk, makes sense to me, and it would be nice to have a new wrinkle to mix the plays up a bit, and keep the defense somewhat honest. Predictability is the name of the offensive game.....

:rolleyes:

What a problem to have, if that is the case.
Yes indeed, what a problem.

As others have posted, what a way to get an opposing team to burn a time out. And if the Hawks get a few quick points out of it, so much the better.

The real question here is when, and how often, will we see "The Package" ???

-OR-

Will it go the way of the 2011 "hurry up" offense?

I don't know if he explicitly said special package...but I remember Ferentz hinting that they were going to find ways to get CJ on the field...a package would be a non-confidence shattering (for Rudock) way of doing so.
So Ferentz worries about Rudock's confidence when Beathard is in for an average of .5 percent of every game? Does KF worry about Beathard's confidence? Is there a confidence and therefore a leadership problem with Rudock?

No two quarterback system, here. Not remotely.

Front page above the fold... today's Gazette sports section... headline story by Marc Morehouse.

You were totally 100 per freaking cent correct biasedHAWKEYE!

Interviews with CJ and The Captain. It was a specific package
created for CJ. Everyone, including Jake, knew they would be
running it. Absolutely no controversey... will be running it again.
And when the opposing D sees the 'Beathard package'/ spread formation, they know how to defense it. To get the opposing Ds really off guard, let Beathard run a pro style series every now and then. I'm sure running a pro style offense was one of the main reasons why he came to Iowa.

Last edited:
Wait. There was people that didn't realize the second stringers were in there running a totally different offense?

I guess I thought we had established this like an hour or so after the game. I remeber mulitple disscusions about it on here a week ago.

So Ferentz worries about Rudock's confidence when Beathard is in for an average of .5 percent of every game? Does KF worry about Beathard's confidence? Is there a confidence and therefore a leadership problem with Rudock?

No two quarterback system, here. Not remotely.

this is why no coach worth a salt messes with 'rotating qbs' (see paw). you don't want your qb 'looking over his shoulder'. and that is one thing that rudock mentioned preseason - as an advantage from last year as a first year starter compared to this year - one less thing to be concerned about.

So Rudock has a confidence problem but Beathard doesn't? Is Rudock, the starting QB, determining what kind of offense is run because of his lack of confidence?

Latest posts