All Black Helmets- No Decal

MissouriHerk

Who is predicting all black helmets on the field this Saturday? We did it in the past once under Hayden to mourn fallen Hawkeyes, and did a half straight black helmet to honor veterans in the past couple years. Would be an appropriate way to honor Sash I think.

imagejpeg

I was in Ohio Stadium back in '91 after the tragic shootings in Iowa City. Those all black helmets were awesome! Let's do it.

Who is predicting all black helmets on the field this Saturday? We did it in the past once under Hayden to mourn fallen Hawkeyes, and did a half straight black helmet to honor veterans in the past couple years. Would be an appropriate way to honor Sash I think.

imagejpeg

I'll be supportive of whatever decision is made, but the times when it was used before aren't a perfect match with this situation (just my opinion). One was the day after the Gang Lu shooting rampage at the UI. Other was death of a parent of a player traveling to the bowl game.

Again, respect others if they disagree. I just see this one being different.

If it was suicide, just go with a patch or a 9 sticker added to the helmet.
If it wasn't, go with the all black helmets.

If it was suicide, just go with a patch or a 9 sticker added to the helmet.
If it wasn't, go with the all black helmets.

With all due respect, why the heck would the cause of death have anything to do with how the team should honor him? So because he had a debilitating mental illness that convinced him there was no way out of whatever situation he was currently in means the team should do a lesser honoring of him than if he simply fell dead of a heart attack?

That might be the most a$$inine thing I've ever read on here.

I'll be supportive of whatever decision is made, but the times when it was used before aren't a perfect match with this situation (just my opinion). One was the day after the Gang Lu shooting rampage at the UI. Other was death of a parent of a player traveling to the bowl game.

Again, respect others if they disagree. I just see this one being different.

I agree. I don't really think Sash's passing rises to the level of such a gesture.

I agree. I don't really think Sash's passing rises to the level of such a gesture.

I can see the logic here. Otherwise, every time a former football player dies the decision would have to be made whether to wear all black or not, and what would the cut off be? i.e. age of premature death, whether they were a "star" player or not, etc.? I don't know. Perhaps just the timing of this one being the week of the game and that he was only 27 is enough. I would personally like to see it Saturday.

I can see the logic here. Otherwise, every time a former football player dies the decision would have to be made whether to wear all black or not, and what would the cut off be? i.e. age of premature death, whether they were a "star" player or not, etc.? I don't know. Perhaps just the timing of this one being the week of the game and that he was only 27 is enough. I would personally like to see it Saturday.
Good point. It sets a difficult precedent. Every time a former Hawk dies people will expect the all black helmets. If it doesn't happen, then the family may be offended and upset. Which is perfectly understandable.

I'd like to see some recognition of TS, but not sure what. Delicate situation. Glad I don't have to make the call.

Last edited:
It is just a real bad thing when a young apparently healthy person dies for whatever reason. Shock to the family and I felt it somewhat even though I never met him. Strange sort of fate linking sash and greenwood as safeties on the same team having major problems.

Condolences first of all. It is easy to make an argument either for or against all black helmets. Sash is one of my all time favorite Hawkeyes and I do believe that the team should honor his memory some how. I do not see this as being the same as the black helmets in Columbus. The team honored the deaths of six people including the shooter. Personally I'd like to see a helmet decal on one side of the helmet or something.

Black helmets are for pretty extreme situations. Other Hawkeyes have passed and will pass. We can't go black helmet every time it occurs.

I think a #9 sticker might be a nice add for the game, or something similar.

How about instead of jerseys or stickers they just do a moment of silence before the game and then go out and win?

I think a 3 TD win, a helmet sticker, and all the players after the game saying we did it for sash would be perfect.