Alabama -- National Champs

DP5555

Let me start out by saying I haven't ever been a huge Nick Saban fan. I thought it was weak that he signed a deal with the Dolphins and then bailed on them. I thought it was sad the way he responded to his players throwing Gatorade on him after his first National Championship with Bama a couple years ago (if you didn't see it or don't remember he almost acted like he was ticked off at them). Finally, as a Hawkeye fan and B10 fan I hate seeing the SEC dominate like they have in recent years....

With that said, I have to admit I gained a lot of respect for Saban and the Alabama team tonight. Obviously, they dominated the game. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. LSU certainly is no pushover, yet Alabama shut their offense out. I'm almost 26 years old, but as far as I can remember I haven't ever seen a defense dominate like that in a title game. LSU is no slouch so I give Bama a lot of credit for that.

The most important aspect I want to mention is how impressed I was with Saban and his players after the game. They all said all of the right things. Saban didn't once talk about himself, even when he was asked about how his father would have felt. He mentioned the Alabama fans and the victims of the tornado at least twice, AJ McCarron gave all of the credit to his offensive line and the players around him. Finally, the defensive player of the game, Upshaw I believe, said he wanted to share the trophy with all of his teammates because without them this wouldn't have been possible.

To be honest, I guess I just wasn't expecting that kind of response from the Alabama coaches and players. They gave LSU a lot of credit, and the players who played a big role in the game thanked their teammates instead of bragging about themselves.

No matter how hard it is for me to cheer for the SEC, I admit I was impressed with Alabama tonight. Congrats to them on the National Championship, and thanks for staying humble.

Good OP post... good insight....I share your sentiments. Also interesting how they can be National Champs, but not SEC Conference Champs. SEC has earned it I guess, but LSU sure looked manhandled. Alabama was certainly the better team (in both games actually).

In 1992 Alabama beat Miami 34-13 for the NC in the Sugar Bowl.

Miami was loaded win talent on offense as per usual in those days.

Hard to choose which defensive performance was better. Certainly a shutout is tough to beat but giving watching that game was jaw-dropping. Couldn't believe a team could manhandle Miami like that physically and keep up on the edges.

Alabama's D looked great because LSU's offense was horrible...HORRIBLE. I am thinking of a new tag line for SEC football, let me know your thoughts:
SEC football...slightly worse than womens basketball. OR, SEC football...it's like watching paint dry...but worse. I think I like the second one myself.

Also interesting how they can be National Champs, but not SEC Conference Champs.

I just look at it as them being a proverbial "wildcard" with the only team Alabama lost to during the regular season being LSU, the best team of the regular season. The system is highly flawed, and that game was horrible but I really can't argue with the matchup. There's no arguing Ok St lost to a worse team than Alabama did.

Didn't watch, didn't care. Given the history of the SEC and Alabama I'll always be suspicious of what they accomplish. We know it is a practice to over sign and dismiss those that are not cutting it. This is a conference that participated in segregation until the late 60's. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying as the cliche goes.

I really don't see Bama as Nat champs they went 1-1 against LSU. Plus to be honest I think Oky state would have beat LSU also as the LSU offense is just not that good.

I really don't see Bama as Nat champs they went 1-1 against LSU. Plus to be honest I think Oky state would have beat LSU also as the LSU offense is just not that good.

We will never know and ya know what, that's just football.

Jordan Jefferson looked like it was his first start, maybe first game as a college player. As bad a performance at the QB spot as we have ever seen in a title game.

In reference to the gatorade bath in Pasadena 2 years, what got Saban so ticked off was the actual bucket cracked him in the head when they tried dumping it on him.

Alabama is the SEC champion in my eyes. No way should they have had a rematch for the NC, just as OSU and Michigan didn't have a rematch several years ago when voters pushed Michigan out of the #2 spot to get them out of the championship game.

They need to guarantee that only one team from a conference is in the NC game, otherwise it can be flawed in many ways. If you cannot win your division, much less your conference championship you shouldn't be in that game. Okie State should have been in that game and I guarantee that it would have been far more exciting and I would have actually watched it.

Alabama is not a national champion, they are a bcs champion. NCAA D1 football doesn't have a national championship process.

Alabama is the national champion. The selecting organization is the BCS (and the AP to a lesser extent).

Alabama is not a national champion, they are a bcs champion. NCAA D1 football doesn't have a national championship process.

No, the national champion is determined by the BCS process, (and AP.) In other years, the national champion was determined by the AP/Coaches Poll.

The only thing the BCS produces is a BCS championship which is not a national championship.

BCS background

The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) is a five-game showcase of college football. It is designed to ensure that the two top-rated teams in the country meet in the national championship game, and to create exciting and competitive matchups among eight other highly regarded teams in four other bowl games.

Latest posts