AJ Espensa ranked 2nd in his class by 247 Sports

I'd sure like to think the staff is trying to sell them on that too.... I'm not either I'd say it's more likely Iowa gets neither of them as opposed to both. But that'd be a heck of a win this staff needs on the recruiting trail. However I'm not sold that this staff will be there when it comes time for either of them to suit up...

Why make that post..... Seriously

So you seriously thought they'd be around back in May? No one could have predicted this season based on recent history...

Just saw that Alabama offered AJ yesterday. I still feel good about securing his commitment but it is going to be a tough one.

Has he said when he is planning on deciding? Feels like we've been waiting for his decision for 5 years now.

Hard to blame him if he chooses Alabama. It's a lot easier to get to the playoffs in the weak a$$ SEC.

Why make that post..... Seriously
Because at the time I felt that way... And 2 yrs is a long time. Before this season played out the way it did I thought KFs days were numbered much like a lot of people on here. I'm not going to pretend I didn't. Now a lot can change over the course of a season and now I can see KF coaching 4 or 5 more yrs easy enough and getting those two big guys would be absolutely huge. I wish AJ would commit but he knows darn well no matter how long he waits Iowa will have a scholly for him so he may as well take his time and check the other schools out and find the best fit. I don't think another school will support him better from a coaching staff/fan base perspective. If those are the main things to him I have no doubt he'll be a Hawk. But not knowing what all else he's weighing we'll just have to wait and see.

Because at the time I felt that way... And 2 yrs is a long time. Before this season played out the way it did I thought KFs days were numbered much like a lot of people on here. I'm not going to pretend I didn't. Now a lot can change over the course of a season and now I can see KF coaching 4 or 5 more yrs easy enough and getting those two big guys would be absolutely huge. I wish AJ would commit but he knows darn well no matter how long he waits Iowa will have a scholly for him so he may as well take his time and check the other schools out and find the best fit. I don't think another school will support him better from a coaching staff/fan base perspective. If those are the main things to him I have no doubt he'll be a Hawk. But not knowing what all else he's weighing we'll just have to wait and see.

The support he would get from the coaches and fans is the main reason why I think he will ultimately pick the Hawks. I think AJ knows that if he goes to ND or Alabama he will just be another good recruit they have on their team. But in the Iowa fans eyes, he could be a legend. It might be difficult to meet the fans expectations, but I think with the new facilities and the fact he would be Doyle-ized, he would be setting himself up to have a long NFL career.

The support he would get from the coaches and fans is the main reason why I think he will ultimately pick the Hawks. I think AJ knows that if he goes to ND or Alabama he will just be another good recruit they have on their team. But in the Iowa fans eyes, he could be a legend. It might be difficult to meet the fans expectations, but I think with the new facilities and the fact he would be Doyle-ized, he would be setting himself up to have a long NFL career.
Yeah I'm not sure how many 16 yr olds think about being a legend somewhere so much.. Maybe. I tend to lean more towards how he just wants to be sure about the fit. Be it academics, coaches, style of play, day to day life on campus. Stuff like that. I think he'll be a Hawk if next yr is even close to how this year has been. And by close I don't mean undefeated 12-0 so much as maybe 9 wins and being nationally relevant. I think next yrs schedule with who we'll have back 9 wins is attainable with maybe more. But that's looking ahead. I thought we'd have 8 wins this yr so what do I know...

Turning the program around and Kirk solidifying his position this season has to only help in AJ's recruitment you would think. He's got to be thinking that he has a real shot at helping Iowa win a B1G title. Plus, with our track record of sending players to the NFL, I like our chances.

Turning the program around and Kirk solidifying his position this season has to only help in AJ's recruitment you would think. He's got to be thinking that he has a real shot at helping Iowa win a B1G title. Plus, with our track record of sending players to the NFL, I like our chances.

I concur

It would have been nice if Ott had remained healthy and could have approached double-digit sacks, so that AJ could envision his role here. But as it is, we have a hole to fill and you'd have to imagine he's well aware of what it would be.

Juan Harris shutting down his recruitment and claiming he's 100% Iowa doesn't hurt either. Harris and AJ would be the foundation of a very good defensive line.

Latest posts