AJ DERBY's position at Iowa

He better be a QB, because we didn't recruit one last year and the only other possibility is Veir who most believe will be a TE after a short stay at QB.

Throughout his recruitment I thought he made it clear that he wanted to play QB, so he was discounting most colleges that wanted him to play elsewhere. I sure hope he keeps his options open because he's a heck of a football player, whether he's slinging it or catching it, he'll be an asset to the program!

He will get his chance at QB but I love his potential at TE. KF will do what is best for him, the problem will be if AJ accepts it or not.

He'll definitely get a shot at QB first if that doesnt' work and we get CJ as a TE I'd love to see AJ play the LEO spot. I really think with his size/speed/strength he is the ideal fit for a LEO backer.

Well AJ was recruited as a QB, there is no question there. I think the plan is that he will redshirt his first year and sit a year and the start as a RS soph. I doubt he will compete his RS frosh year, but maybe.

I don't see him starting at QB as RS Soph. If he doesn't start as a RS Frosh, we would have either Vandenburg or Wienke as a senior returning starter, so there would have to be major issues for that person not to be the guy. But he could compete for a job as a RS Frosh or step in if one of the other two pulls a Christensen.
Besides QB, I think LB is most realistic. For the US Army All-American Bowl roster, he is listed as a DB, but I think that he is a little big/maybe not fast enough, so LB would be a good fit.

He will get his shot at QB, but if he wants to make some money playing ball he better go to LB or TE quick. He may be able to get a lot of PT as a fresh with Tony M leaving.

This is what the redshirt year is for...developing his QB skills. He can compete as a redshirt frosh with Vandy and Weinke. If he cannot beat either of them out as a sophmore, then he makes the call on changing or if he is the heir apparent as a jr/sr at qb. A lot can change over several years, but he deserves to get a full shot at qb if that is where he wants to play.

I'd put Derby at QB. If not, WR or TE. Let me say this though, if he doesn't play QB, we'll get someone in 2011 who can!

I would love to see him as a SS. I picture him as a 6'4 220 safety to be feared. With the LBs we picked up this class (Gray, Poggi, Morris), I feel we are already stacked enough there that putting Derby there might get a little crowded. Also, a safety of that size could change the way the position is played (see Taylor Mays at USC without the attitude).

I've seen his speed listed at 4.6 and 4.88 in the 40. While I doubt either of these two to be accurate, if he's closer to 4.6, he could maybe play safety; if he's closer to 4.88, he would probably be a LB or a TE. Still, I think QB is the first position at which he would get a chance.

my guess is that ferentz lets him try to be a qb his redshirt year and see how everything works out. however, he won't end up there, i think he will end up playing lb.

From his video he is a good athlete and actually played better than many have described. No way he runs in the 4.9 range more like 4.65. I hope he takes a good shot at QB because of potential but if it doesn't work I could see him being an all Big ten TE. He is very good in open space and what he lacks in speed he makes up in quickness and vision.

If he's commin in at 6-4 240 I'd think DE would make a bit of sense. Most guys put on an inch or so in college and he could easily round out into the 6-5 270 range.

I have seen AJ play live a couple of times. He never curled my toes with his play at quarterback. I would guess that he gets a shot playing QB, but I think he will either end up at TE or LB. He plays some safety for City High, but is not out there on every play.

Latest posts