AJ Derby

That's not all that surprising as we are loaded at QB, AJ will make a great LB.

And Rob has an update, it appears to be AJ's decision, so he will get on the field sooner according to him.

The one thing that does concern me for the next couple years is depth. Next year, 2 RS JR, a Walk-on Soph, and a true Freshman.

Interesting. Long ago I hypothesized that Derby would get impatient knowing that he'd be stuck behind Vandenberg and then switch over to LB/DE. However, I had NO CLUE that he'd do is so early on.

Furthermore, despite originally making that hypothesis, from what I had heard from the spring, I was certain that Derby would be able to stick at the QB spot. However, I suppose that there is a difference between sticking and being high enough on the depth chart to contribute right away.

Derby could push for playing time as a TR FR at the LB spot. When you combine how Iowa's LBs have been cashing in on NFL contracts and the allure of early playing time ... I suppose that trumped the desire to playing QB at the D1 level.

I frankly think that it's a smart move on his part and it definitely helps out the team.

Furthermore, another thought is this ... with Derby moving over to LB ... I anticipate that Wienke will be LESS likely to bolt now too. With how Derby had performed during spring camp, it sounded like Wienke might eventually see the writing on the wall.

You can just leave the position behind Derby's name as ATH... I could care less where he specifically is listed, he can play anywhere there's a chance to get him in the game.

Not a surprise at all. I felt it would be TE or LB, and I felt he would get the chance to try QB, would realize it wasn't for him at this level, and he would see to make the move. Iowa has done this during the Ferentz era. If kids want to try a position, they get the chance. They are typically the first to know it's not for them.

Rob and I rode over together, and he said Derby looks like Roth did, physically, when Roth was a freshman. I think this is a great move for AJ and he will excel.

With his athleticism he should make one quick *** linebacker. Can't wait to see him in action in the future. He should be excellent in coverage and able to close down plays very quickly

Not a surprise at all. I felt it would be TE or LB, and I felt he would get the chance to try QB, would realize it wasn't for him at this level, and he would see to make the move. Iowa has done this during the Ferentz era. If kids want to try a position, they get the chance. They are typically the first to know it's not for them.

Rob and I rode over together, and he said Derby looks like Roth did, physically, when Roth was a freshman. I think this is a great move for AJ and he will excel.

I agree Jon. I was actually concerned that he may stay at QB just to prove people wrong. After seeing videos of Rudock I just envisioned a year of Stanzi, 2 years of Vandy, and then AJ getting beat out at QB by Rudock with Derby never making an impact as a hawk. That would have been an absolute crime. This is a huge move IMO. Derby is going to be VERY special.

I'm glad to hear he made the switch. We have a lot of great looking prospects at TE, now another great young LB prospect.

I think we need to add 2 QB's this class.

Derby is a great athlete and by enrolling early, he got extra time in the strength and conditioning program. I think the switch may fit him well to see the field early at Iowa. Hopefully he can stay healthy, work hard, and impress the coaches.......

Jon,

I really DON'T believe that Derby decided that QB wasn't for him at the D1 FBS level. Rather, Derby had a great spring ... and yet he found out that even with a great spring he was still WAY behind Vandenberg.

When you have a competitor like Derby, he wants to be able to compete right away. He may have been a little surprised about how good Vandenberg was. I'm willing to postulate that once he realized that he truly wouldn't see the field as a full-time starter until his RS JR year, he quickly decided to pursue the position that would give him the best chance to play and start early.

Derby is a great athlete and by enrolling early, he got extra time in the strength and conditioning program. I think the switch may fit him well to see the field early at Iowa. Hopefully he can stay healthy, work hard, and impress the coaches.......

Another good thing about enrolling early is that he was able learn right away where he'd sit on the depth chart at QB. Once he realized how long he'd be waiting until he'd likely start ... he was able to make the switch to a position where he'd be able to make a more immediate splash.

Also, I agree with those asserting that Derby and Morris have the chops to give us a FABULOUS duo at the LEO and WILL spots!

i am not surprised by this. I think this was his best chance to play. He may even play this year.

I hope they don't burn a redshirt unless he's going to play significant time. Burning a redshirt for special teams play would be unfortunate IMO.