Ahmad Wagner a Hawk

Could this young man fill the bill that many on this site have been asking for...a football tough, physically strong forward who will bang with the BT bodies and hold his own? Maybe has some defensive potential, though I have nothing to base that on. I think 6'7" and a couple of hundred pounds would be a good start. Also, he did have a couple of big school offers and interest from some others, so he was not exactly unnoticed. Will be interesting.

Could this young man fill the bill that many on this site have been asking for...a football tough, physically strong forward who will bang with the BT bodies and hold his own? Maybe has some defensive potential, though I have nothing to base that on. I think 6'7" and a couple of hundred pounds would be a good start. Also, he did have a couple of big school offers and interest from some others, so he was not exactly unnoticed. Will be interesting.

He looks pretty athletic. I would be interested in how old he is. Wagner is only going into his senior year of high school. He looks like he can help Iowa when he gets here, but who knows if he won't be 6 ft 8 or 6 ft 9 by the time of his freshman year. Iowa is really upgrading their program athletically. He looks like he has the ability to play two or three positions. McCabe played center at 6 ft 6 or 6 ft 7 and this guy looks a lot more athletic than McCabe. They still have a couple more guys to go.

Is this Basabe 2.0?

In my opinion, yes, MG 2.0. But this kid looks to be more of a natural scorer than MB. I am not sure why folks are disappointed. The kid can play and, in my opinion, could surpass MB. And we all know how important MB was to us. Remain calm, Fran will get us there. This is a very good get.

In my opinion, yes, MG 2.0. But this kid looks to be more of a natural scorer than MB. I am not sure why folks are disappointed. The kid can play and, in my opinion, could surpass MB. And we all know how important MB was to us. Remain calm, Fran will get us there. This is a very good get.

I don't think too many folks are disappointed... only one guy in this thread that I can see. Looks like a good get to me.

Welcome aboard Ahmad!!!

I think you've heard one word for both Hutton and Wagner and it is one key ingredient that has been mentioned countless times over the last two years: toughness. I think Caff is looking for guys who are going to battle, compete and get after it, regardless of what perceived position needs he has. I think this fits what he is looking for.

Hes not a power forward. He will be a small forward.

It will be interesting to see how Fran utilizes the players when they get here. All the guys committed so far can probably play two or three different positions. Wagner has a thicker frame than Basabe, and he said he sees himself as being a small forward at the next level. Its going to be fun to watch Iowa basketball in the future if the coaching staff keeps bringing in these athletic players. The coaching staff has had time to develop their relationships with the high school players and you can see it in their recruiting this year.

I've learned in life to never underestimate anyone. If he brings toughness to this team I'm all for it. I want players who will stand up to MSU. Bring him on.

Thanks, TMoney, I also trust Fran to recognize talent. I like Ahmad's credentials. Outstanding junior year, good progress in the AAU, and is playing on a team that is expected to compete for the D1 Ohio State Championship. He looks good in the video, takes it right to the hole, no hesitation with power and strength. He is still growing and no reason to believe he will not polish his skills his senior year.....

Looks like a tough young man, same as Hutton. Will certainly help with the toughness issue. When you see him coming. better step aside....

The criticism is ridiculous, although, as mentioned, he is the only recruit to miss a free throw that we have ever recruited.....

Welcome aboard, Ahmad....

:rolleyes:

Thanks, TMoney, I also trust Fran to recognize talent. I like Ahmad's credentials. Outstanding junior year, good progress in the AAU, and is playing on a team that is expected to compete for the D1 Ohio State Championship. He looks good in the video, takes it right to the hole, no hesitation with power and strength. He is still growing and no reason to believe he will not polish his skills his senior year.....

Looks like a tough young man, same as Hutton. Will certainly help with the toughness issue. When you see him coming. better step aside....

The criticism is ridiculous, although, as mentioned, he is the only recruit to miss a free throw that we have ever recruited.....

Welcome aboard, Ahmad....

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the only criticism I have of him is that he needs a new editor for his vids. Who includes a missed free throw in one of them? But his FT form looks good and he does look like a better version of Basabe imo. Looks like a more natural shooter's form at least on FTs. Has really good hops and a large enough body already. Is K. Meyer (sp) the only recruit Fran's really whiffed on this point?

The only clip showing him shoot was some free throws. I am reserving judgement until I see a clip where he is doing something other than posting up 5-8" kids.

I like the addition and I like how the class is shaping up. I especially like that Hutton and Wright (and possibly Flemming) already have Big 10-type bodies. With Fran's teams ... it's all about the pieces to the puzzle and I think this kid will be a nice addition.

Physically more Jarryd Cole/Cy Tate possibilities than Basabe. I think he could develop into a PF...looks like he could add 30lbs no prob..already has the wide shoulders and good upper frame.

I have to wonder if Fran knew that Morrow was falling away from Iowa, or it was just first guy to commit gets the scholly? I doubt we take both Morrow and Wagner, so I guess when Fran offers, it is unconditional, and maybe he surprised Fran by accepting before his visit? We now have 3 unranked commits who all seem to have significant flaws in their games....Hutton and Wagner struggle to score outside of 3 ft, and Fleming struggles as a designated shooter...to shoot the three. When I look at who Groce is courting at Illinois, it is becoming clear that Iowa simply cannot recruit at the top half of the league level. We are down with the bottom 4-5 ...we compete with Minny for guys at best. I really thought that by the 2014 and 2015 classes (Fran's 5th and 6th classes) , we would be competing for top 150 recruits every year....yet we have not been able to do that except in the 2012 class of Woody and Mikey. Is Iowa that much worse a program than Illinois right now? Groce is recruiting heads and shoulders above Fran right now in only his 3rd class....Iowa still un-sexy? Forever?

I have to wonder if Fran knew that Morrow was falling away from Iowa, or it was just first guy to commit gets the scholly? I doubt we take both Morrow and Wagner, so I guess when Fran offers, it is unconditional, and maybe he surprised Fran by accepting before his visit? We now have 3 unranked commits who all seem to have significant flaws in their games....Hutton and Wagner struggle to score outside of 3 ft, and Fleming struggles as a designated shooter...to shoot the three. When I look at who Groce is courting at Illinois, it is becoming clear that Iowa simply cannot recruit at the top half of the league level. We are down with the bottom 4-5 ...we compete with Minny for guys at best. I really thought that by the 2014 and 2015 classes (Fran's 5th and 6th classes) , we would be competing for top 150 recruits every year....yet we have not been able to do that except in the 2012 class of Woody and Mikey. Is Iowa that much worse a program than Illinois right now? Groce is recruiting heads and shoulders above Fran right now in only his 3rd class....Iowa still un-sexy? Forever?

This.

Im curious as to how much the 2 above posters have actually seen Fleming, Hutton and Wagner play.

Also, Groce has recruited farily well at Illinois but he never finished better than 3rd in the MAC and has been fairly underwhelming at Illinois so I am not sold on him as a high major coach.

Latest posts